What do you think about going in May?

EnchantedRose

Hey everyone! I need some help. After much deliberation about whether to go Disney this year or not, hubby and I are leaning more towards yes. We're at 75% yes 25% no! (We went twice last year so we were trying to take a break, but i love Disney & I've turned Hubby into a Disney Lover as wel, and for our son (2) he loves Mickey!) My questions is as of right now I am planning a May trip (may 1 - 9) I know weather will be decent....we went last September and it was TOO hot so we are really trying to avoid that time of the year. So what do you guys think about May as far as crowds go? Is it really that bad since spring break is the month before, and then some schools let out in may. Do you think the first week is good...or should I try later may?

Thanks for all the help!

Also we're planning to stay at Carribean Beach Resort...what do you guys think about the Pirate Rooms, my son isn't that into Pirates...so is the extra cost really worth it for a few pirate decorations?

Thanks

DisneyJoe

Also we're planning to stay at Carribean Beach Resort...what do you guys think about the Pirate Rooms, my son isn't that into Pirates...so is the extra cost really worth it for a few pirate decorations?

If you're not into Pirates, I would say no, as the location within the resort itself (Trinidad South) is the absolute worst(IMHO) - its the "island" furthest from everything.

If you want to spend a little extra, pay for a Preferred room which would put you in Trinidad North or Martinique, which is very close to the main food court building and main pool and marina.

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
If you're not into Pirates, I would say no, as the location within the resort itself (Trinidad South) is the absolute worst(IMHO) - its the "island" furthest from everything.

If you want to spend a little extra, pay for a Preferred room which would put you in Trinidad North or Martinique, which is very close to the main food court building and main pool and marina.

Yeah that's what I was thinking if we're going to spend the money, might as well be on something that will be of a convenience to us. We stayed at Music this past Sept. & ended up in Country, the walk wasn't bad in the mornings, but at the end of the day when you're tired and just want your bed that walk seemed like it took FOREVER...and even longer when our son wanted milk! lol. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

We're going May 1-9 too! (Well, 1-6 on site). It seems like it will be a good time to go.. lower crowds and decent weather. Crossing my fingers!

Upvote 0

mcstensrud

During the week you will see alot of local school kids on their end of the year school field trips.Just try to avoid them.We go every May and Sept and seem to have alot more rain in May(especially last year).Ya never Know.

Upvote 0

swimmom

Crowds are not bad in May & weather is usually decent. It can get warm, but it's not very humid. Rain usually isn't an issue, but it was last year. I'm crossing my fingers for the minimal amount of rain for May this year. May is our favorite time of the year to go and are taking full advantage of it while my DD is in college and gets out the first week of May.

Upvote 0

jpm46

Crowds are not bad in May & weather is usually decent. It can get warm, but it's not very humid. Rain usually isn't an issue, but it was last year. I'm crossing my fingers for the minimal amount of rain for May this year. May is our favorite time of the year to go and are taking full advantage of it while my DD is in college and gets out the first week of May.

It sounds to me that you were also there last May (2009) during the absolute MONSOONS! Historic rainfall for a straight week to ten days. I've got some great pictures if anyone is interested. Hope we never have to experience anything close to that this year. I honestly would have rather had a hurricane that would have blown in and out in a day or two and at least have been over with.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

My DW and I have been going the third week of May for about the last ten years and we love it. The weather is usually nice, except last year of course, crowds are low and lines are short. GO for it !

Upvote 0

swimmom

It sounds to me that you were also there last May (2009) during the absolute MONSOONS! Historic rainfall for a straight week to ten days. I've got some great pictures if anyone is interested. Hope we never have to experience anything close to that this year. I honestly would have rather had a hurricane that would have blown in and out in a day or two and at least have been over with.

Yep, we had rain every day but two. :( Some days we couldn't even stay dry with rain ponchos & umbrellas. One night I blew a fuse using two blow dryers trying to get my shoes dry!!!

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Ugh I was there for that last year too! Luckily the crazy rain came toward the end of my week, but we still had a few days of it. I thought rain in Florida usually came & left quick, but it was ALL day!

We're going back this year April 28-May 5, hoping for less rain. And I honestly think May is a fantastic time to visit. Crowds aren't bad, and the weather isn't too hot or too cold. You just have to hope for no rain. We avoid the end of May because of Star Wars weekends!

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

The only two things that limit my number of trips are vacation time and $$$. If you have both of those covered, then why not swing an extra trip?

May seems to be a good combination of crowd levels and pleasant weather. Also, the Flower & Garden Festival runs at EPCOT until May 16th. We'll be trying a late April/early May trip next year, for those reasons.

Upvote 0

DisneyVolFan519

Been there...and going back

We have been there either the last week of April or the first week of May for the last 4 years. It really is a great time to go. The crowd level isn't too bad and the weather is great. I would take just about any type of warm weather after the winter that we have had this year.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

We used to go around the 3rd week of May when I was back in college. It was a pretty slow time to go compared to the major holidays and end of the month near Memorial Day. The crowds really roll in that weekend.

The weather tends to be hot and steamy, but nothing compared to summer. To me when the temperature is that hot-the rain is actually a nice cool down-except if its a monsoon.

Upvote 0
We went last year in mid-May also (during the record rainfalls) and other than the rain it was great. Crowds seemed low and it was not hot. I would go again in early May!

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
We've been going in May for over ten years, usually the first week, it works with our wedding anniverary.

I've always found the crowds to be manageable if not low, and the weather generally perfect. Funny enough, last year we made our trip at the end of March to take advantage of the free day on DH's birthday offer--sounds like that was a lucky break!!

One year, we were traveling with the in-laws and due to their schedule had to go towards the end of May, and I found it unbearably hot and humid.

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We have been going in late May for about 10 years and its great - the rain last year was more than normal.. but usually as we're leaving the memorial Day crowds are coming in... so works for us!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom