What do you do with your pets while at WDW?

acishere

Original Poster
I have been relying on having friends or family when it comes to looking after my dog when I have to go away, but for my trip next week it just was not working out.

My cousin agreed to take her in, but recently adopted a stray cat that was freaking out when she looked after another family member's dog the other day. She called me this morning and said she can't look after my dog anymore (I leave Sunday). The rest of the family I'd trust with my dog will be in Florida or away elsewhere. My gf is going to be away until Thursday and my friends either are too busy with work or heading to Firefly. My dog doesn't have the kennel cough vaccine so I either have to find a vet open after work or saturday so I can have her in a kennel, or hire someone to visit the house a few times a day when my neighbor or a friend can't until my gf gets back. I want to find a dog sitter, but the one I trust is no longer in state.

Anyone else every have a pet crisis right before its time to leave?

Nemo14

Are there any responsible kids in your neighborhood? With school out, you might find one who would happily do it for you in exchange for a nifty souvenir?

Or maybe check with your vet for ideas for petsitters?

DDuckFan130

We usually have a sitter, especially now that my sister and her new husband didn't renew their AP's. But last year we did find ourselves with the unique opportunity to take the dogs along with us (we live in Miami so we drive) and leave them at Best Friends Pet Care. Mind you, it was as expensive leaving 2 dogs in Best Friends as it is for us to stay at a value resort. But it was nice visiting with them every day and playing with them for an hour.

For the dogs, however, it wasn't too much fun I think. They wouldn't relieve themselves and went for 12-16 hours without doing anything, which is the main reason we had to visit them. I was also not a fan of the "suite" they were in, which amounted to nothing more than a kennel where my two little dogs had to fit in. Aside from all this, the staff was friendly and attentive and did what we asked them to do. It wasn't their fault the dogs had never been boarded before. They're both 8 years old so of course it came as a shock to them both.

If I can leave the dogs in the comfort of their home, I prefer doing so. Worst case scenario, I don't mind booking them at Best Friends again, but I will do my best to book them in a villa the next time and hopefully they're available.

Good luck with your decision.

Zman-ks

Leave them at home. WDW is expensive enough as it is without buying them tickets!
75.gif

;)

This...usually with a family member.

moonwishes2013

I board my dogs at the vets, they recieve the Kennel Cough Vaccination & any other they might need when I drop them off. I have done this for yrs, I have been satisfied with it, but I always make a reservation for them at least 2 weeks ahead, but I am sure you could board one on short notice if they have an opening.

We last minute paid a neighbor we trust to pet sit our cat.
So he(my cat) was at home the entire time while we were at Disney World.

But before our latest trip, the 1st time we went to Florida we had him boarded.

acishere

Original Poster
We usually have a sitter, especially now that my sister and her new husband didn't renew their AP's. But last year we did find ourselves with the unique opportunity to take the dogs along with us (we live in Miami so we drive) and leave them at Best Friends Pet Care. Mind you, it was as expensive leaving 2 dogs in Best Friends as it is for us to stay at a value resort. But it was nice visiting with them every day and playing with them for an hour.

For the dogs, however, it wasn't too much fun I think. They wouldn't relieve themselves and went for 12-16 hours without doing anything, which is the main reason we had to visit them. I was also not a fan of the "suite" they were in, which amounted to nothing more than a kennel where my two little dogs had to fit in. Aside from all this, the staff was friendly and attentive and did what we asked them to do. It wasn't their fault the dogs had never been boarded before. They're both 8 years old so of course it came as a shock to them both.

If I can leave the dogs in the comfort of their home, I prefer doing so. Worst case scenario, I don't mind booking them at Best Friends again, but I will do my best to book them in a villa the next time and hopefully they're available.

Good luck with your decision.

I went with a pet sitter service for a couples days, then my friend is going to sleep here and look after her until I get back. She was the one I had look after her last time I went to WDW too. It helps to live 5 minutes from where she works and June is "Hey lets shut down EVERY road during rush hour for construction" month so she on her last nerve with traffic.

My dog freaks out in crates/kennels so I do everything to make sure she is in a home environment when I'm away. I'm flying from NJ so the kennel at WDW isn't an option. We had the same issue you did when we put her in a kennel to go to Vegas, but we were across the country from her. Luckily she finally went regularly again after the first day.

shuflemstr

I have used a young lady that I used to work with. She has stayed at my house with Princess for my last 5 trips. The thought of me putting Princess in a cage just goes right thru me. I wouldn't like to be in a cage so why would she. I've had to give her specific instructions letting her know when Princess starts meowing by the door leading to the deck means she wants it opened so she can look out. Blinds in the windows have to stay up during daylight hours because Princess likes to look out. The moment you close them she is there demanding that you open them. This is Princess' house and I cater around her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom