What do you do at wdw when there's storms?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
So we all know afternoon thunderstorms are the norm for us here in FL but having the all day rains we get from a tropical storm aren't as common. So what do you do when you find yourself at disney with a full day of rain?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
lol...i love a fellow diehard! we're like you but when we did a day last october where it was all day steady rain and for me at least (being use to living here in FL)was cold as well as wet. we stuck it out but oh my goodness it wore us down. since it looks like it will be more rain than sun (but certainly not cold lol) most of this entire week i was just picturing what it would be like if i were stuck in a hotel room (sigh).

Bob Saget

Hydrophobia isn't something we suffer from, so we just enjoy the day as usual. We were at MK during an all-day downpour back in '03. The constant rain really cooled things off, was fun to walk around in, and seemed to thin out the crowds as many patrons left the premises out of fear of wet clothing. (It amuses me to watch terrified tourists run for their lives when rain starts.) Lightning? That's one thing. But rain? "OMG it's water...save yourselves!!"

Worse case scenario, buy a poncho. Keeps you dry; makes a great souvenir.

DisDadEddie

I agree with putting the poncho on and keep moving forward! No lines in the parks so you can ride all the indoor rides you want. Meet & Greet lines are short too!

bluewings

In all of our trips we've never had a problem with rain. The longest rain we've run into was from around 8 am to a little after noon. It actually was the best time for that to happen as one person in our group was a little sick in the morning and the extra hours helped them a lot.

If it ever is an issue I will have a poncho handy ready to keep going, although I do like that monorail idea.

wilkeliza

I wanted to add that it really depends on what we had planned that day. If it was a pool day it would probably turn into adding another day to our park hopper and enjoying one of the less crowded parks or we would have a Disney Quest/Arcade day. If it is a park day we grab umbrellas or panchos and try to dress a little lighter than usual and head on out.

Word of advice the ponchos that Disney sells are pretty crappy. My boyfriends kept unbuttoning pretty much making it useless. We have sense bough ones we trust that don't have snaps and put them in our day bags just in case.

G00fyDad

So we all know afternoon thunderstorms are the norm for us here in FL but having the all day rains we get from a tropical storm aren't as common. So what do you do when you find yourself at disney with a full day of rain?

Find cover, wait 5 minutes, then go on with the day. :cool: I've never seen a full day of rain at Disney World, ever. But then I typically go during October (less rainy).

bubbles1812

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim....;)

Seriously we have swum in the rain before..so fun. But yeah, we usually just throw on the ponchos and keep going. I actually prefer when it rains, at least in the summer. It clears out the park a bit and cools things down. I am always amused to see so many unprepared people run for cover though...seriously people, it's Florida, a sub tropical climate...it rains! Disney must make a mint off those ridiculously priced ponchos

HouCuseChickie

For us- we usually go for the ponchos, but I also have a rain plan I keep in mind...i.e. what's around us that keeps us inside...especially if there are T-Storms. Either way, we still try to make the most of our day.

This thread reminded me of a situation w/a coworker who recently got back from WDW (well, really one day at MK). Let me preface this by saying that it was blatantly obvious that she's not a WDW fan. So, it poured while they were there. They arrived late rode 2 rides had a meal at CRT and left. That was it. That was her 4 yr old's grand intro to WDW. I mean, I know they were swaying the kids to hate the place, but why spend all that $ for admission for 1 day just to let some rain get in your way??? I told her to bring ponchos, but she thought I was being ridiculous. I asked why they didn't just hit up a bunch of the indoor attractions, but she just kept saying "it was raining REALLY hard." I get it, but if you're at Buzz Lightyear...maybe consider Monsters Inc. - if you're at the Castle...maybe consider Philharmagic. I don't get it.:confused:

Parrain

My mother in law was in a scooter chair when the rains began, she donned a poncho and had the time of her life flying along the empty sidewalks of epcot, spinning and splashing! We had a great time. We checked out a lot of indoor attractions as we waited for Test Track to re-open. Lots to do, you just have to loosen up. If life hands you lemons, keep them! 'cause hey, Free Lemons!

wilkeliza

For us- we usually go for the ponchos, but I also have a rain plan I keep in mind...i.e. what's around us that keeps us inside...especially if there are T-Storms. Either way, we still try to make the most of our day.

This thread reminded me of a situation w/a coworker who recently got back from WDW (well, really one day at MK). Let me preface this by saying that it was blatantly obvious that she's not a WDW fan. So, it poured while they were there. They arrived late rode 2 rides had a meal at CRT and left. That was it. That was her 4 yr old's grand intro to WDW. I mean, I know they were swaying the kids to hate the place, but why spend all that $ for admission for 1 day just to let some rain get in your way??? I told her to bring ponchos, but she thought I was being ridiculous. I asked why they didn't just hit up a bunch of the indoor attractions, but she just kept saying "it was raining REALLY hard." I get it, but if you're at Buzz Lightyear...maybe consider Monsters Inc. - if you're at the Castle...maybe consider Philharmagic. I don't get it.:confused:

I hate parents that "train" their kids to hate something. I agree what is the point of spending all the money if you are just going to complain about it.

I always hear "the weather ruined my vacation" and I want to say "Oh really? You couldn't possibly find one indoor attraction or show to enjoy during the rain?". Unless the park is closed I don't see how the weather could ruin it. Heck it rained while I was in Mexico on vacation and I still sat in my cabaña and enjoyed the storm.

menamechris

I know my friends and I are weird - but the parks are the best in the rain. Like some posters have said - the rain will clear the parks out pretty well on the busiest of days, and its a great excuse to throw the poncho on, get some adult beverages (except at the MK, of course), and just be goofier than normal and have fun. During the summer time, we often will make plans to go to AK or Epcot on days when we know it will be a little soggy. It reallyh is a completely different and fun experience.

Magenta Panther

I learned this during my first visit to Disney World in October: don't wear a raincoat during a Florida rainy day. The things drip and cling to you, and if you step inside an attraction or a ride, you have to carry that wet dripping thing with you, which sucks. So I carry a portable umbrella. I whip it out when the rains come, then close it and put it in my backpack when the rains subside. Much more efficient and less messy.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
we never let the rain stop us either...most of my friends and some of my family think i've snorted the pixie dust lol but sitting here at home 2 1/2 hrs north of wdw i couldn't help but wonder what they'd be doing today since it's been one of those rare all day rain florida days...thanks to tropical storm debby (sigh). 100% chance of rain until 4am when it improves to 90% with flooding, tornado warnings and watches. couldn't help but wonder how people were handling it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We poncho it, and truck on. If the rain is really heavy (to the point where the walkways are flooding, this happens at a few places at MK), then we'll either work our way to an indoor attraction, or find a place to eat.

I also try to make dinner reservations around the 4 - 5 time period, as there's a very good chance that it will rain during that period based on when I go (mid August)

Marco226

My family just runs out in the rain, and we jump around in the puddles as we scream like lunatics. Yeah, we're those people. We know better than to buy disney ponchos.. we're just gonna get wet anyway! Might as well enjoy it. :D But then it sucks when the sun comes back because it gets all humid and blah..

For the long-lasting storms that we run into, we play a game of who can guess the correct wait times for the ride that we're walking to. People always run into the nearest building or ride when it starts to pour. We figure that the posted wait times get all messed up, so we try to guess what the wait actually is. The person with the least accurate guess has to buy the winner a treat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom