What do you do at wdw when there's storms?

vinnya1726

Hang Around...the parks empty out a bit, the lines get less and if it is at night you will get great spots to see the firework shows in Epcot and MK. Last year on our first night it started to pour while we were eating in Norway, we got out and we had a great spot to see illuminations when the rain cleared. The same thing happened a few nights later in MK, and we had a great spot to see wishes right behind the castle.

Mickey2minnie1

I have a magical day! I love Disney. Our first trip in October of 07 it rained 5 straight days from a tropical storm. It was challenging at times, but we got to do everything withfew waits. It was a magical experience.

J03Y

well, there are much less guests when people know in advance it's going to be a rainy day so that does help with my day somewhat.

mostly i just go on with my day, but the downside does come with everyone wanting to get on all the sit down cool dark and gentle rides and shows. usually i use the time to get on the coasters since no one else wants to

disney magic 06

As most others here seem to do we carry on pretty much as usual, but perhaps head back to the hotel a little earlier than usual, and sit on our balcony watching the storm and enjoying a few drinks. This year we particularly enjoyed it as we had one of the 'rooms in the roof' at Wilderness Lodge and loved the enclosed, cosy balcony.

Kilimanjaro Safari is extra good in the rain as the animals seem to enjoy the coolness, and are more active than they are in the hot sun.

eddiemcgarrigle

I continue to enjoy the park and take advantage of the quiet that descends on the place due to rainfall. I'm Scottish, with the amount of rain we get here, I'm well used to it. I never fail to get the odd looks from those who are huddled in every available but what the hell, it stops at the skin.

riverscu0m0

I have this nifty rain coat (it's meant for kids so, i don't know if they make them in adult sizes. 16 and still fit into a kids 12...) but my brother calls it a transformer because it has this one really big pocket that you can stuff the whole raincoat into. I always bring that with me. However, when it rains we usually go to one of the shorter parks like MGM or we go to the Orlando Premium Outlets which are mostly roofed.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
wondering how it's going there now. we live 2 1/2hrs north of wdw and we've already had 15 inches of steady rain, there's flooding all around this part of the state, and it's still raining.

jjharvpro

Just like all these experienced WDW goers on here, a poncho is the answer! Actually, bring your own ponchos from home. As Disney is famous for, the prices are higher and the ponchos themselves are pretty mediocre. Don the poncho and keep moving forward if you want to! Low wait times and so much less crowded. The majorities flock out of the Park or inside shops. But if you'd like, rain is also perfect nap time atmosphere back in the room! :)

Allie_Marie

I act like it isn't raining! I either go shopping for a very long time to help my shopping addiction, or I run through the rain like a luinatick and not care!

KCheatle

We went for a week back in May 2009. I remember getting there the first night and hearing the weather forcaster get super excited because it was going to rain all week and Florida had been in a drought. Everyone that lived there was pumped. Those of us on vacation there were less than thrilled :(

And, I'll be honest, this vacation was the first time we stayed at Pop Century. Having come from the Contemporary the year before, we were not used to the walking to our room. Needless to say, walking a long distance while being rained on every day did not make for a great experience at the Pop.

However, the rain every day all day led to some pretty awesome experiences for us. We refused to stay in our room, so my husband, 3-year-old daughter and I put on the ponchos and got out there. We were able to walk on rides over and over again and even got some pretty cool character experiences. My husband had heard that the characters went into the Kodak theater when it rained, so he went in and asked if my daughter could meet any of them. Within minutes, like 5 different characters came out and just played with her in the back room at the Kodak theatre! It was super cool! That would have never happened if it wasn't for the rain.

Despite my original anger that it was going to rain our whole trip, that ended up being one of the best trips I have ever taken to Disney World and I think a lot of it was because of the rain :)

Tinkerbella16

I love thunderstorms/Rain in WDW!!! Everyone leaves the park as if nothing is indoors, so that makes the lines shorter for us! I really enjoy Epcot in stormy weather... everything except TT is inside so it really does not effect our day at all.. walking from one thing to the next is easy.. we put on a poncho! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom