What Disney did for Grandpa!

Jen Jen

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

I'm glad to say that my Grandpa (the one with the broken hip) is doing very well! He's "home" in a nursing home now for physical therapy.

Walt Disney World contacted my Grandmother, I think before they left Florida, and let her know that they want her to submit all of her out of pocket expenses for the broken hip to them and they will cover them! They also said there'd be something extra, but they didn't say what that was. I still think the First Aid people need some more training, but considering that the fall and the broken hip itself wasn't even Disney's fault, I think this is an incredibly kind and generous gesture on Disney's part. We are really grateful! And I feel a lot better about the thousands of dollars my husband and I are going to be spending there in a little over a week!

I just wanted to let everybody know and give credit where credit is very much due, especially since I was so upset over First Aid! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

:xmas:

tink rules

It's good to know that they are taking an active interest in your grandfather's case. I've had good experiences when I've had to hit the health care spots... I hope that continues in the future.

Nemo14

Great news! Glad to hear that he is doing better - the news from Disney must have helped too.
Have a magical vacation!:wave:

MSTINKHERBELL01

Wonderful...Nice to hear! When I heard your first story...I had no doubt in my mind that Disney would somehow show you and grandpa that Magic.

Yay Disney! YAY Grandpa!:wave:

RnRJoe6114

bgraham34 said:
take a step back, backstory please.

I don't remember exactly what happened but grandpa fell out of his moterized wheelchair and hurt his hip and the first aid in the parks did not properly take care of him. Maybe Jen Jen can elaborate more or you can search for the original thread discussing what happened.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
RnRJoe6114 said:
I don't remember exactly what happened but grandpa fell out of his moterized wheelchair and hurt his hip and the first aid in the parks did not properly take care of him. Maybe Jen Jen can elaborate more or you can search for the original thread discussing what happened.
glad to hear the news..... but i was wondering the first half of the story. thanks for posting RnRJoe6114

MissM

It's nice that they're being so pro-active about helping out. Of course, it's totally in their best interest to do so. They definitely don't want a slip-and-fall lawsuit or bad press. A large, public profile company like Disney has to be very careful about covering their butts, you know?

The origins of this post are in two threads:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=65662

- and -

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=65719

Hope that helps those looking for the backstory.
-m

Great news about Grandpa. Mine was the last post before it was closed down, and I was with you on the Disney First Aid situation. I'm glad they did something for you. Hope Ssidiouss reads your post. (Remember - the one who was dehydrated at MK and no one did anything). Maybe he will realise (like I did at the time) that your Grandpa had a bad experience. You have a good Thanksgiving too. And go Grandpa!

I personally think they're covering themselves because the way they handled it is very negligent. If he would have sustained further injuries on his transport from the First Aid station to the hotel, Disney could be sued for negligence & failing to act.

As a First Aid station, they wouldn't be able to provide a medical treatment, but as preliminary "first aid," they should have provided the patient with comfort measures, done a rapid assessment, & contacted Medics. Any geriatric patient who is of that age & has fallen is considered serious.

I think it's Disney covering their butts.. as to not let this become a large (media) frenzy. :zipit:

-Bryant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom