What did you think of Turtle Talk with Crush?

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
Yesterday, I experienced Turtle Talk with Crush for my first time. I entered the line, with low expectations and a small dosage of patience. After waiting nearly thirty minutes, I entered the theater and sat down. From the first minute the show started, I was impressed at how groundbreaking the technology was (Crush responding so independently, and how unscripted the show could get). The show itself was very comical and I was laughing throughout its duration. The children seemed to love the show and at the same time, were learning different things about the sea. When Dory made an appearance, the kids couldn't help but become even more giddy. The show finished off with one final laugh and we exited the theater.

Overall, I thought this show was an amazing and fun experience that was well worth the wait. As I left the theater, I thought to myself, "That is a true Disney-Magic attraction!"

Did anyone else think the same thing about the show? What were your overall thoughts on TTwC?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I like it, always have.

My first experience with Turtle Talk was at a private showing linked to a rent-out of the Land pavillion and Soarin along with free food from Seasons, all before they opened officially. So, it was a good night all around.

It's changed a little, not so much in the show itself, but in the flow and crowds. Back when Seas still had you wait around for the movie first, there was usually just a small grouping of people waiting. When they opened up the exit, all heck broke loose.

The original show I saw had like 5 kids on the floor, and half the benches full of adults.

The normal operating show had a max of 15 kids on the floor and then was full of adult on the benches.

Now, the show crams as many people in as possible, as many kids on the floor as they can fit, and there are adults standing along all the outer walls.

Well, its obvious it got popular, but to me, it seems like they shaved some time off the show too. Maybe it's just my perception, but the shows seem shorter than they did when they first started. It's all understandable with the crowds.

I hope with the new ride, the pavilion gets some flow and crowd control back. It's an omnimover though, so who knows how well that will actually limit the number of guests in the pavilion at a time.

LeeSeeBabe

My group and I had waited in line, ultimately not having a single clue what we were waiting for!! I LOVED the show itself, however the line we had to wait in to see it while not knowing what to expect... I would not wait in a 30 minute line for that again. To me, it is a One-timer. Do it once, love it, don't need to do it again.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
Hopefully after the pavilion's rehab is over and the new Nemo-fied SeaCabs are opened, the wait time for TTwC will go down. The show is different every time, so I wouldn't consider it a one timer.

brertigger

jedimaster1227 said:
Hopefully after the pavilion's rehab is over and the new Nemo-fied SeaCabs are opened, the wait time for TTwC will go down. The show is different every time, so I wouldn't consider it a one timer.

Me neither. Every show is unique.
I think it is a great attraction. Now the queue design on the other hand...

Ivan72

I didn't know what to expect when we saw it for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised at the technology. Not to mention it's really fun. I agree it merits further visits due to it's format. I really love Crush, dude (or dudette).

imagineer99

Maybe I'm overselling the attraction, but I was really impressed upon seeing it last year. The interaction between audience, performance, and the animation itself is so seemless, it truly amazes me. I can't wait to see how the technology develops with more attractions in the future (i.e. the laugh floor attraction).

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
imagineer99 said:
Maybe I'm overselling the attraction, but I was really impressed upon seeing it last year. The interaction between audience, performance, and the animation itself is so seemless, it truly amazes me. I can't wait to see how the technology develops with more attractions in the future (i.e. the laugh floor attraction).

You aren't overselling the attraction at all. I believe this is a truly genuine experience. Before yesterday, I was very skeptical about the Monster's Inc. show (Laugh Floor Comedy Club) using the TT technology but now, I am excited to see it (even though I cannot fathom the idea of any more Pixar characters and rides in Tomorrowland/Pixarland).

PixiePrincess

We LOVE it!
Quick funny,
When we were there in February my husband raised his hand to ask Crush a question. He asked him what do turtles like to eat and then Crush asked my husband the same question about humans. Well, my husband answered turtle meat and Crush's reaction was hysterical! He went over to the microphone and yelled, "security"!
Everyone was laughing so hard, then Crush said, "just kiddin dude, just tryin to remind you who's show it is dude." It was the funniest thing I have ever seen!
:lol:

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
PixiePrincess said:
We LOVE it!
Quick funny,
When we were there in February my husband raised his hand to ask Crush a question. He asked him what do turtles like to eat and then Crush asked my husband the same question about humans. Well, my husband answered turtle meat and Crush's reaction was hysterical! He went over to the microphone and yelled, "security"!
Everyone was laughing so hard, then Crush said, "just kiddin dude, just tryin to remind you who's show it is dude." It was the funniest thing I have ever seen!
:lol:

It is moments like this that make this show an instant classic (at least in my eyes :lookaroun).

autumndawn1006

The technology is amazing, but it is the CM that really makes the show.
This worries me a little, though, because it might be difficult to
continue to find people with good improvisinational skills.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
autumndawn1006 said:
The technology is amazing, but it is the CM that really makes the show.
This worries me a little, though, because it might be difficult to
continue to find people with good improvisinational skills.

Actually, during the show I saw, the CM did very little. She only brought the microphone to the people speaking. She also explained the rules. That was basically it.

erasure fan1

The show had a crazy wait time when we saw it but it was worth it. I loved the show it was very well done, the interaction with the kids was great. I wish they could add a 2nd theater so when the rest of TLS open its not an even worse wait.

wannab@dis

jedimaster1227 said:
Actually, during the show I saw, the CM did very little. She only brought the microphone to the people speaking. She also explained the rules. That was basically it.
I believe Autumn was referring to the CM "behind the curtain" and not the helper out front. ;)

Based on your posts, I guess you'll agree now that Turtle Talk is not a "minor" attraction that you had made it out to be and may actually be bigger than the seacabs. Unless there's a significant improvement seen by adding the projections, the Seacabs are still just a simple and short 'ride' through the aquarium. Also, I see that you now agree that Turtle Talk has the "educational" aspects that so many think is missing in the 'new and improved' Epcot.

Rototom

I went 1st in Feb '05 with my 2yr old...wasn't expecting much...but it is a wonderfull experience.

Went again in Dec 05 and my daughter was even more aware...it was the last show of the day and my Nicole did not want to leave...Crush came back out and spoke to her for about a minute about how he needs to go to bed!!!!!! I couldn't believe it, iut was totally unscripted.

It was priceless...and just one of the many reasons WDW IS the best place on earth.

It is a great new show / addition!

JimboJones123

Anybody thinking the lines will be shorter with the ride are fooling themselves. Even with it's popularity, it's still one of WDW's hidden gems. Most guests don't know what it is and dismiss it. But after being drawn to the Nemo attraction -- expect waits to at least double. This could easliy be the busiest pavillion at Epcot. Think of park attendence of they would update another 2/3 pavillions?

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I believe Autumn was referring to the CM "behind the curtain" and not the helper out front. ;)

Based on your posts, I guess you'll agree now that Turtle Talk is not a "minor" attraction that you had made it out to be and may actually be bigger than the seacabs. Unless there's a significant improvement seen by adding the projections, the Seacabs are still just a simple and short 'ride' through the aquarium. Also, I see that you now agree that Turtle Talk has the "educational" aspects that so many think is missing in the 'new and improved' Epcot.

Is that how they do that? :lol:

Yes, now I have a different opinion on TLS. I think TT is a very major leap in Disney's attraction scale. I think it will become a "major" part of the new pavilion. I don't think it will be bigger than the SeaCabs, but it will probably be on par with them. The SeaCabs are looking to be better than they were. And, with the new extenstion, they shouldn't be that short. TT has restored some od that educational aspects of Epcot that the park had lost during its transition from EPCOT Center to Epcot. I am duly impressed.

wannab@dis

jedimaster1227 said:
Is that how they do that? :lol:

Yes, now I have a different opinion on TLS. I think TT is a very major leap in Disney's attraction scale. I think it will become a "major" part of the new pavilion. I don't think it will be bigger than the SeaCabs, but it will probably be on par with them. The SeaCabs are looking to be better than they were. And, with the new extenstion, they shouldn't be that short. TT has restored some od that educational aspects of Epcot that the park had lost during its transition from EPCOT Center to Epcot. I am duly impressed.

I'm not sure anything was ever "lost" during the transition, but rather it was changed to a less direct method that was considered by many to be boring. TTwC is just a new way of edutainment that has a clear entertainment value in addition to the educational aspect.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the attraction and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I agree with you that the methods they employed for the attraction gives it a wonderful aspect to enjoy over and over.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I'm not sure anything was ever "lost" during the transition, but rather it was changed to a less direct method that was considered by many to be boring. TTwC is just a new way of edutainment that has a clear entertainment value in addition to the educational aspect.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the attraction and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I agree with you that the methods they employed for the attraction gives it a wonderful aspect to enjoy over and over.

I myself don't think too much was lost in the translation, but others do. If you remember, many people hated the original EPCOT Center because of its extreme educational value (some found very little entertainment). I can understand where they were coming from (when looking back at original rides like Universe of Energy and the Living Seas). At the time, entertainment had to be found in technology and the promise of new technology. For some, that wasn't enough. While some changes made to Epcot may not have been the best, Epcot has become a true family park mixed with entertainment but still retaining some of its educational value. That, is the best thing at the moment that we can ask for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom