What could Disney do better with wwohp if they wouldve won the licence?

DisneyparkFreak

Original Poster
So what do you think? Disney was in the running for the theme park licence and lost out to universal, what do you think Disney couldve conjured up for HP?

coolmark18

I'm really not sure. I cant imagine Disney would have been happy giving that much control to 3rd parties. Neither do I think Disney would have allowed such a budget to the section as Universal was up for. Not to detract for the feat Universal have met, but all there is is a great themed section and a ride. Two thirds of the attractions are just renamed.

SleepingMonk

The only way Potter could be better is if there was more of everything.

An entire park instead of a small "land".

I don't think Disney was up for that so I don't really think they could do anything better than what Universal put together.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The only way Potter could be better is if there was more of everything.

An entire park instead of a small "land".

I don't think Disney was up for that so I don't really think they could do anything better than what Universal put together.

Theming an entire park after HP would be a poor business decision. Had Disney won the license, you would probably have seen, at most an E ticket attraction at DHS with an attached food establishment.

tahqa

I'm really not sure. I cant imagine Disney would have been happy giving that much control to 3rd parties. Neither do I think Disney would have allowed such a budget to the section as Universal was up for. Not to detract for the feat Universal have met, but all there is is a great themed section and a ride. Two thirds of the attractions are just renamed.
My understanding was that Disney wasn't really that interested in the IP since JK Rowling wanted complete creative control and Disney wasn't about to give it to her. :shrug:

Mouse Man

Honestly does it really matter. HP is not part of Disney nor it should be. It really is a better fit for UNI. I would not like to see another Castle in any of WDW to try and rival one of my Favorite ICONS of Cinderella's Castle.

harryk

Sounds as if someone had the old PIXAR syndrom....
Lost and then found......too bad someone else got the 'found' . But Disney would have made it 'family friendly' and lost something in the presentation. Let Universal keep it .. in 10 years HP will be a memory. The films finish next year and unless JK permits it, there will be no sequels to build upon and keep interest up.

SOLISIMO

Honestly does it really matter. HP is not part of Disney nor it should be. It really is a better fit for UNI. I would not like to see another Castle in any of WDW to try and rival one of my Favorite ICONS of Cinderella's Castle.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

fosse76

So I assume that you object to the Beast's Catle that will be part of the Fantasyland expansion.

Disney had their chance, and Rowling liked Universal's plans better. She saw Seuss Landing and felt more comfortable working with Universal. And why shouldn't she have had control? It's her property. She has every right to dictate what should or shouldn't be. None of you people complain when Disney asserts its rights to control its properties, but as soon as a third party does it with Disney, the third party is the one in the wrong. Some of you want it both ways.

coolmark18

None of you people complain when Disney asserts its rights to control its properties, but as soon as a third party does it with Disney, the third party is the one in the wrong. Some of you want it both ways.

I wasn't actually complaining. If you want to read my post again, I stated that I didnt think Disney would let control out their hands. I didnt make a point about JK wanting overall control as a good or bad thing.

powlessfamily4

I think if Disney had really wanted it they would have made sure they got it. As far as doing it better... naturally it would have been better because absolutely nothing is better then a little Magic at the Kingdom! :) I am not a HP fan so I am not missing anything. Life goes on in my WDW Magical mind.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My understanding was that Disney wasn't really that interested in the IP since JK Rowling wanted complete creative control and Disney wasn't about to give it to her. :shrug:
I have had heard this as well. The way it was described to me was WDI breathed a collective sigh of relief when US got the deal.

To answer the OP I think the biggest advantage Disney would have had was space. WWoHP really seems to be shoe horned into and existing area of an already small park. Had Disney really wanted to go full tilt bozo on Potterland and were willing to move roads, facilities, etc they could would have almost unlimited space in which do to so.

ryno1982

For one thing they would have covered the show building so that it isn't visible from the park. They probably also would have created the Great Hall, probably as a food court. Seeing as how that's the most iconic room in all of Hogwarts, it boggles my mind that Universal didn't create it. The video screen at the end of FJ doesn't count.

SleepingMonk

For one thing they would have covered the show building so that it isn't visible from the park. They probably also would have created the Great Hall, probably as a food court. Seeing as how that's the most iconic room in all of Hogwarts, it boggles my mind that Universal didn't create it. The video screen at the end of FJ doesn't count.

Universal is learning from Disney.

"Wait for the refurb!"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Probably nothing much different. Rowling had the whip with this one. Disney backed off since she was too demanding.

Mouse Man

So I assume that you object to the Beast's Catle that will be part of the Fantasyland expansion.

Disney had their chance, and Rowling liked Universal's plans better. She saw Seuss Landing and felt more comfortable working with Universal. And why shouldn't she have had control? It's her property. She has every right to dictate what should or shouldn't be. None of you people complain when Disney asserts its rights to control its properties, but as soon as a third party does it with Disney, the third party is the one in the wrong. Some of you want it both ways.

Actually Beast Castle will fit with Disney theming and compliment the ICON. HP does not fit nor does it compliment. UNI is better with this one and I am Glad Disney passed on it. Now I could not see HP being a very productive Land after about three years. Once all the Movies are finished, you know how kids are they will move on to something else. This attraction is not like the Star Wars theming that has stood the test of time for over 20 years. I feel no one will care to much about HP when the movies are over and Uni will once again be sadly looking at why is my parks attandance so low. Uni builds for the now and not for the long run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom