What barriers will your family have to be able to return to WDW? Our list is longer than we realized

mbroschak

My wife and I come from western Canada twice a year and like most people, I have been fixated on when and how the parks will reopen. In my optimism, I was thinking once the parks reopen, even if it were with masks and reduced entertainment etc, etc, we would be able to be in the world again! But a more stark reality has hit me the last week or two as one main barrier is going to be actually getting there.

Air travel is probably going to look very different until there is a treatment/vaccine which could be many months or longer from now. The practicality of getting to Florida and even being able to get into the U.S. from Canada and back again for leisure travel may be a long time from now. Also, our provincial government will most likely keep a mandatory two week quarantine upon return from any international travel for a long time and it will be unrealistic to take three weeks off of work for a one week vacation.

What barriers will your family have that might prevent you from visiting WDW through this (once the parks reopen)?

We have a trip planned for the end of September that I don't plan on changing so my hurdle is that WDW and the hotels are open. It would suck if parts were closed but that could also make a unique experience.
Side Note: I suspect that we had Covid-19 earlier this year. I'm a NYC teacher, my kids were in daycare/school until mid March. We were in Europe in February and live in the second hardest hit neighborhood-hospitals and thus hospital workers everywhere! My gym is even technically in the same building as a hospital.

I'll happily wear a mask for the safety of other guests. I've even started building my mask wardrobe for the fall!

Upvote 0

SteveV

Our barriers from the U.K. include...

Money
Flights being available
Travel insurance being available (currently not covering any covid issues if You book since March)
Quarantine on the way back into U.K.
Transport To and from airports being available
Accommodation availability
Swimming pool capacity
Cost And availability of food and other amenities
Other Orlando area amenities being open
Time off work being granted
Do the kids want to experience a toned down wdw or would they rather wait?

just a few thoughts!

Upvote 0

Mainahman

its an 8 hour drive, and we can almost go anytime we want. So for us id say.

Certain attractions closed, possibly certain nighttime spectaculars closed. Other than that i dont care if the floor is lava, or its monsooning, ive got a date with the mouse.

Upvote 0

KeithVH

Let me pile on here (really not trying to be a troll). But y'all do realize this virus is here to stay, right? Don't take my word for it but you will find intelligent references to the fact that eventually this will become the fifth known coronavirus circulating the globe (the other four cause the common cold).

So - two years from now - is wearing a mask still OK? Travel limitations still OK? Social distancing? And on and on. At least SOME level of risk for a deadly infection. How does this change what is and isn't acceptable?

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

We had to cancel our April trip, rescheduled it to August and just yesterday cancelled that one as well. We will stay put for a while, save our money and then take a proper trip when normalcy resumes.

Upvote 0

SteveV

Let me pile on here (really not trying to be a troll). But y'all do realize this virus is here to stay, right? Don't take my word for it but you will find intelligent references to the fact that eventually this will become the fifth known coronavirus circulating the globe (the other four cause the common cold).

So - two years from now - is wearing a mask still OK? Travel limitations still OK? Social distancing? And on and on. At least SOME level of risk for a deadly infection. How does this change what is and isn't acceptable?
I agree with you regarding the virus staying. I took the question to be about what additional barriers there are in the short term for us to overcome to be able to visit wdw.

Even if you have the money etc, for some people it’s not going to be as easy as it was to visit, even if the parks and Florida are fully open. Flights being limited, quarantines and insurance are additional barriers that if you are a Florida local you haven’t necessarily thought about as impacting out of town visitors.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom