What barriers will your family have to be able to return to WDW? Our list is longer than we realized

mbroschak

My wife and I come from western Canada twice a year and like most people, I have been fixated on when and how the parks will reopen. In my optimism, I was thinking once the parks reopen, even if it were with masks and reduced entertainment etc, etc, we would be able to be in the world again! But a more stark reality has hit me the last week or two as one main barrier is going to be actually getting there.

Air travel is probably going to look very different until there is a treatment/vaccine which could be many months or longer from now. The practicality of getting to Florida and even being able to get into the U.S. from Canada and back again for leisure travel may be a long time from now. Also, our provincial government will most likely keep a mandatory two week quarantine upon return from any international travel for a long time and it will be unrealistic to take three weeks off of work for a one week vacation.

What barriers will your family have that might prevent you from visiting WDW through this (once the parks reopen)?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My wife and I come from western Canada twice a year and like most people, I have been fixated on when and how the parks will reopen. In my optimism, I was thinking once the parks reopen, even if it were with masks and reduced entertainment etc, etc, we would be able to be in the world again! But a more stark reality has hit me the last week or two as one main barrier is going to be actually getting there.

Air travel is probably going to look very different until there is a treatment/vaccine which could be many months or longer from now. The practicality of getting to Florida and even being able to get into the U.S. from Canada and back again for leisure travel may be a long time from now. Also, our provincial government will most likely keep a mandatory two week quarantine upon return from any international travel for a long time and it will be unrealistic to take three weeks off of work for a one week vacation.

What barriers will your family have that might prevent you from visiting WDW through this (once the parks reopen)?
Not having enough money .

Upvote 0

Pangyal

Actually, if you are flying, the Canada-US border restrictions do not apply on the US side (i.e., Canadians are still able to fly into the US for non-essential travel, but people from the US cannot fly into Canada for non-essential travel at this time).

The two-week quarantine on return is definitely a sticking point for us too (we are in Ontario).

Upvote 0

Baldy

Actually, if you are flying, the Canada-US border restrictions do not apply on the US side (i.e., Canadians are still able to fly into the US for non-essential travel, but people from the US cannot fly into Canada for non-essential travel at this time).

The two-week quarantine on return is definitely a sticking point for us too (we are in Ontario).
I‘m curious where you saw that Canadians could fly into the US. As far as I can see, the non-essential travel ban is still in effect. Maybe I missed something?

Attachments

• FBE656BB-31A9-4FC0-9AF3-48768F6560F6.png
    FBE656BB-31A9-4FC0-9AF3-48768F6560F6.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

Pangyal

I‘m curious where you saw that Canadians could fly into the US. As far as I can see, the non-essential travel ban is still in effect. Maybe I missed something?

That is the travel advisory. It suggests avoiding non-essential travel, but does not ban it.

This is a blurb from the US Embassy in Canada as it relates to Canadians flying into the US with regards to the border closure:

Q: What will this mean for airline travel and other travel across the border?

A: This action does not apply to air, rail, or sea travel at this time, but does apply to commuter rail and ferry travel.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Money... its always about the money. We had our May trip cancelled so we still have those funds, Disney reward points and gift cards waiting to be used next year. We are planning on going in May of 2021 but no one knows how the virus will impact the economy and our business, like so many others is hurting at the moment. If we find the need to put off Disney for the sake of our family needs, thats what we will do.

Upvote 0

mbroschak

Original Poster
If you are waiting for a vaccine you may be waiting a while....or forever. There is no guarantee that one will be successfully created.
Actually, if you read my comment, I made no mention of myself personally waiting for a vaccine or treatment. Although of course I am hopeful of that, I was simply commenting that social distancing measures will be in place until there is a treatment or vaccine. That will significantly affect the airline industry until those measures can be relaxed. And yes, that might take a very long time.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Actually, if you read my comment, I made no mention of myself personally waiting for a vaccine or treatment. Although of course I am hopeful of that, I was simply commenting that social distancing measures will be in place until there is a treatment or vaccine. That will significantly affect the airline industry until those measures can be relaxed. And yes, that might take a very long time.
You are correct that you didnt mention needing one personally, but I also didnt quote you. My comment was more a statement of fact than a specific targeted response, but I can see how my post might be Interpreted that way.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just for us - older, 68, DVC Owners in MI....

1) Let us FLY out of MI.
2) Once into MCO? Let us IN (no 14 day Quarantine).
3) ME, or Cabs, need to run. We are not driving.
4) All of the above needs to work in REVERSE.

Notice - I have not said ANYTHING about WDW :). 1-4 is all transportation :). All National, State, County. Let's continue....

5) Masks? JUST FINE - got em, including N95s. No problem with this - unless EVERYONE will not wear them.
6) On-Site COVID tests? NO. Not spending that airfare to be turned away. Accepted COVID "Immunity Card" from my State? YES.
7) Temperature checks? No problem - we intend to carry a Digital Thermometer with us.
8) And the tough one: What will actually be open? Having gone through 1-7? There must be a reason for us to do so :(. Just us - not dropping a good $6000 on a dead experience :(.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

When we departed WDW this February (with no clue what was about to happen), we were talking about returning around 2022.

Now, we'll be waiting until these hurdles are cleared:

1 - there is a vaccine or effective treatment for COVID-19, or we test positive for antibodies (DH and I are in categories of elevated risk and we just don't want to gamble - a healthy 60-year-old acquaintance of mine with no underlying health conditions just died from COVID-19 last weekend after a month in the ICU, and a 44-year-old high school classmate with no underlying health conditions has been suffering terribly with it for over 5 weeks now, so I hope you'll all pardon me if the dangers are looming especially large in my mind at present)

2 - the "new" attractions (Guardians of the Galaxy, TRON coaster, etc.) are completed and open -- I'm sure present circumstances have altered the previously-announced (and vague, and oft-changing) target dates, but we'll keep an eye on any announcements

In other words, when it's relatively safe for us to go, and there are some new things for us to see and do. I pray that day will come quickly. Since visiting WDW was the last thing our family did before we started to become aware of the tide of world events related to the pandemic -- our "last night in the nursery," to borrow a phrase from Peter Pan -- I think that going back will feel like our triumphant return to "normalcy," even if it still involves wearing masks.

Upvote 0
Our barriers:

If they require masks to be worn everywhere (not just in buses or indoor areas)
If they require timed, additional expense entry tickets for AP holders (we don't want to activate our APs until we can use them every day).
If they don't open until late July (I teach and have girls in school, so we have to finish our vacations by the end of July)

That's really it for us. We are good to go with anything else.

Upvote 0

carnini

This one is wide open..
For us
Money is stick point one
Vaccine or treatment which would lesson our worry if we did get exposed
What rides are open, not paying full price for half the attraction to be closed.
What will they have in place safety wise

Upvote 0

SpaceCoast

The barrier for me is the virus. I won't go until its as safe as it was in 2009. Who knows when that will be? The idea of a vaccine is nice but there has never been a vaccine for a Corona virus. There are no guarantees there will EVER be a vaccine for COVID19. Eventually, 60 to 70% of us will get it and the survivors will supposedly develop immunity, which means they will not spread it to the rest of us. Not exactly a Disney happy ending I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

PBJelly

Besides the health and safety mentioned....is how enjoyable will it be. I'm specifically talking about the pools. One of my favorite things to do in WDW is hitting up the pools, that's where I enjoy spending my time, and I'm not sure if you can be safe there.

Upvote 0

Katelynbird

For me it is just me and my mom that go most of the time together, but now I am old enough to even go with friends so the decision can just be mine as well. We live in Tennessee so we could either drive or fly. I guess it determines how $$$ is. That is really the biggest thing. For myself and I think my mom wearing a mask in the park isn't going to be a big deal. We already live in Tennessee where it can get hot and humid so we can deal and if we need to rest we can sit down or even go back to the resort if we need to. I really think a vaccine is a long time coming so I will definitely be in the parks before that rolls around. My main concern as I said before is once Disney has set these restrictions and guidelines in place they need to enforce them. I will abide by them, but with that amount of people even at the limited capacity you know there will be knuckleheads that will play the system. What I really want to know is if the CM's are going to enforce these restrictions hard. If they don't then all this is going to accomplish is more problems and arguments between guests and CM's. I don't want any part of that. I will stay away from the parks if they don't enforce things like they did with the old smoking in the designated areas.

Upvote 0

Mousse'

Sadly, I need to get it and recover from it first... I absolutely don't want to get it/suffer from it onsite. I had Norovirus in Disney once, and that was a thoroughly wasted and expensive week.

Really, any precautions in place by our government(s) are just another form of TSA theater ("Stay at home" and facilitating that does work to stop the spread, but we can't do that forever for sustenance, economic, and psychological reasons. Really, the six feet, limited capacities, "special" hours, border closings and masks are to make people feel safe enough to function and not panic, but it really won't help you). Business can do what they want and need to (I have no problem if they make me wear a mask for me to come on their property, as I can choose not to come)

As a now immunosuppressed, young, post-organ transplant patient (Liver, 2018 - Living donors are HEROES!!!) I wear a huge target. BUT you can't go though life not living... Think post 9/11... Risks are real, but things have to get back to normal. And yeah this is going to cull the herd a bit before we as a species develop immunity or this thing mutates down. But there will be more of these types of viruses, and this type of response can't sustainable be our response (For Disney, Florida, the US, and the world).

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My barriers:

1. Masks for guests. I won't wear one on vacation and I won't make my kids wear one ever.
2. Masks for cast members. If they're mandatory for CMs or optional with most CMs choosing to wear them, I'm out.
3. Park needs to be operating at something resembling "normal." Fireworks, parades, theater shows, etc.
4. Resorts need to be operating at something resembling "normal." Pools and restaurants are open, etc.
5. Need to be able to walk around the parks normally. No weird one-way traffic, no six foot spacers taped to the ground.

Our barriers:

If they require masks to be worn everywhere (not just in buses or indoor areas)
If they require timed, additional expense entry tickets for AP holders (we don't want to activate our APs until we can use them every day).
If they don't open until late July (I teach and have girls in school, so we have to finish our vacations by the end of July)

That's really it for us. We are good to go with anything else.
Are you saying you WON'T go if masks are mandatory, or you'll ONLY go if masks are mandatory?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom