What are your "waiting in line" pet peeves?

jloucks

Any sort of loutish behavior is inappropriate. Everything that bugs me, has been stated.

Psychology of cuing is interesting. Several stated that they dislike people that do not immediately move when the line advances when in most cases it makes no difference. In fact, lagging the line increases personal space which some people also like. The best is those that want personal space and also want diligent line advancement... which is the same a wanting personal space and want that very same space as filled in as quickly possible. wut?

Last edited:

danyoung56

People who loudly slam the bells in the entrance to Expedition Everest are the worst.

Really? While I don't go out of my way to make the bells chime LOUDLY, I do enjoy ringing a bell or two.

Going online and finding an 11 year old thread bump :D

I see your smiley face, so I'm assuming you're not too put out by this. But I've seen the resurrecting of old threads get totally slammed, and I just don't get it. Sure, the thread is from 2005. But judging by the response here, there are plenty of people who have something to say, and I've certainly enjoyed reading what others' pet peeves are (and agree with most of them!). It hurts no one, and is interesting to many. It would be perfectly fine to start a brand new thread on the same subject, so I don't see what the problem is.

jloucks

Really? While I don't go out of my way to make the bells chime LOUDLY, I do enjoy ringing a bell or two.

I see your smiley face, so I'm assuming you're not too put out by this. But I've seen the resurrecting of old threads get totally slammed, and I just don't get it. Sure, the thread is from 2005. But judging by the response here, there are plenty of people who have something to say, and I've certainly enjoyed reading what others' pet peeves are (and agree with most of them!). It hurts no one, and is interesting to many. It would be perfectly fine to start a brand new thread on the same subject, so I don't see what the problem is.

It is more psychology in action. The person criticizing the thread necromancer is getting a rush of power and ego by chastising the hapless soul in a public forum. It is actually a form of bullying behavior. The thing about all these threads is nobody forces you to read them. Many are titled quite clearly. You have to actually go out of your way to criticize somebody on thread necromancy or the even more commonly criticized redundant thread/question.

What is really pathetic about the redundant thread critic, is that it is usually somebody that has a jillion posts to the forum ragging on a new person. The complete opposite of hospitality. Instead of using their knowledge (and obviously available scads of time) to just answer the question for the 100th time (out of 30,000 thousand posts mind you) and include some helpful links to other threads, they just blast away with the old "search box is your friend" line.

Ironically, very little content has never been covered before. Part of keeping the whole board fresh is revisiting topics on a very regular basis. A good way to kill a board is have mods that lock too many threads "because they have been covered before". Fortunately mods of this board are actually pretty restrained with their lock ability. smart.

danyoung56

What is really pathetic about the redundant thread critic, is that it is usually somebody that has a jillion posts to the forum ragging on a new person. The complete opposite of hospitality. Instead of using their knowledge (and obviously available scads of time) to just answer the question for the 100th time (out of 30,000 thousand posts mind you) and include some helpful links to other threads, they just blast away with the old "search box is your friend" line.

I could not have said this better. Well, I probably would have been a little nicer about it, but that's just me.

Goofyernmost

This is an example of an 11 year old thread that still is relevant. It is a legitimate question and one that would have had the thread police asking why they started a new one when this topic had been discussed before. So now it's why did you revive this old thread. Awfully confusing isn't it? Unless it's one like another thread about an actor that died 4 years ago, it should be alright to revive something that has an interesting and still current topic.

Susan Savia

My son and I stood in line for Test Track (February). A family was in front of us (Mom, Dad and daughter about 14). The daughter kept picking her nose and eating it. The parents HAD to of noticed as they were talking, but said not a word to her. She continued doing this all the way through the line. Pretty disgusting on the girls part as well as the parents that seemed to allow that....

No, ringing a bell or two is fine. There are people who will repeatedly keep ringing the bells or will basically slam them at times. Sometimes even holding up lines making it worse.

parkhopper1213

J Sulley's post about personal space got me thinking about all the annoying things that go on while I'm waiting in lines.

My absolute biggest pet peeve is when the people behind me think that the line will move faster if they stand 1 millimeter behind me instead of 2 feet behind me. I hate that so much. I guess they think if they crowd me that I'll move up and force the rest of the line to move? (Which I refuse to take a single step forward when people are pushing me, so basically I make them look dumb.) And then you have the impatient people who not only constantly push against you in the line, but they keep walking in front of you, and then they go back to their spot, and then they walk in front of you again, over and over. Or they feel like they need to stand right next to you. What is the big deal about standing a couple feet behind someone in line??! Why do people feel the need to push push push??! I get a big thrill out of giving dirty looks to people who do that LOL.

So what are your "line" pet peeves?
We were in line for the Mine Train- It was going to be about a 60 minute wait. The lady behind us had a small boy who was out of control. For the entire 60 minutes we kept hearing the mom threaten the boy "If you don't behave we will get out of line". He never behaved, and they never got out of line.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is an example of an 11 year old thread that still is relevant. It is a legitimate question and one that would have had the thread police asking why they started a new one when this topic had been discussed before. So now it's why did you revive this old thread. Awfully confusing isn't it? Unless it's one like another thread about an actor that died 4 years ago, it should be alright to revive something that has an interesting and still current topic.

I feel so flattered by this statement. :D

I don't even remember creating this thread 11 years ago. But I just read my original post and I'm still annoyed by the same things I was 11 years ago!

Tom Morrow

don't know if this has been posted, but: people who assume that filling in every gap in the line will actually get them on the ride faster, and get irritated when people don't move up right away.

Unless you are literally the next person to ride, someone not moving up a few feet in line has absolutely no affect on your wait time.

Goofyernmost

But don't the CM's constantly tell you to move up and fill every space?
They do, but, we are talking about minor short term gaps. Eventually people notice and move forward and like it was said, you aren't going to get to the ride any faster, however, forward motion is psychologically a big help with keeping ones patience in it's proper place. I know it bothers me to an extent until I tell myself to chill, but, mine stems from the fear that line cutters will fill in the spaces left by the unaware. I have never seen it actually happen, but, in my mind it is always a real possibility. I don't believe in the "if I'm not touching a part of you, then I'm not close enough" manner of action either. I find that a good time to pass gas. :in pain::joyfull:

The CM's do it to keep the queue filled and make room for stragglers trying to squeeze in.

The lines themselves don't bother me too much, since when I've been there I worked there and knew I could come back another day if I didn't feel like waiting. But when you have to share the queue with the Brazilian tour groups or cheerleaders? *shudders* While I'm sure plenty of them are nice, I've never had good experiences with them...

tglancy

Cast members complaining about their jobs is number one, but that's not just at WDW. I hate going ANYWHERE where I have to hear people complain about their jobs. It's just completely unprofessional. I was at a restaurant once, and they sat us near one of the drink refill/cashier stations and I had to hear every waitress complain about how much they hated their job and how awful everything was and how they couldn't wait to get out of there. I never complain to a manager, but that night I went and complained. I understand that your job isn't great, and you might even hate it, but it's still your job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom