What are the drawbacks to staying at a monorail resort?

hansel1

I understand the appeal of a monorail resort. Close to Magic Kingdom and multiples ways to get to it.

I have heard all the praises, but what are the real drawbacks to the monorail and staying at one of those resorts. ie, trying to get back to the resort after park closing, busy time.

Most people complain about bus transporatation at the non MR resorts. Any complaints about the Monorails?

SchultzFamily

I understand the appeal of a monorail resort. Close to Magic Kingdom and multiples ways to get to it.

I have heard all the praises, but what are the real drawbacks to the monorail and staying at one of those resorts. ie, trying to get back to the resort after park closing, busy time.

Most people complain about bus transporatation at the non MR resorts. Any complaints about the Monorails?

Personally, as far as we are concerned, the monorails are about as reliable as the buses. We were stuck on the monorail three times on our last trip--for 15-20 minutes. We normally drive from our resort to each park. This means, we park at MK Ticket & Transportation Center and get on the monorail. Well after two lengthy delays we took the boat and it was faster. Also, on two days we decided to hop over to Epcot from MK. One of those days we did the monorail. We waited forever for a monorail to Epcot. The next time we hopped, we just got our car from MK parking lot and drove to Epcot parking lot.

To me it is not worth the extra money to stay at one of the deluxes on the monorail.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

All the loot you need to stay in one, especially if paying full price. And for that high price tag, you still will have times when the monorails stop on the beam for about ten minutes to allow the monorail ahead to get to a safe distance b/c of heavier than normal volume.

Additionally, the bus service is not dedicated Resort only bus service. Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian Resorts may stop at a minimum of 2 resorts or a maximum of all of them in the afternoon. I've also once been on a bus from Epcot to Poly and it included some stops at Fort Wilderness and the Lodge.

But transportation can be iffy at ALL resorts. It's generally rather good though.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

For me, I'd say the price is the only drawback. I honestly can't think of any other drawbacks. After staying at a monorail resort for the first time on our last trip (Poly), we are so spoiled. It worked out great for us. I really hope we can stay there again on our next trip, whenever that may be.

Upvote 0

coltow

We just had our first Poly trip. We LOVED the monorail. I don't think we ever waited more than 5 minutes for a monorail to come. With the exception of a breakdown.

However, we hated the bus service. We always shared with CR, which to us made no sense. We thought it made more sense to share with GF. The buses to DTD were the worst. I would absolutely stay at Poly again if I were planning to primarily go to MK or EP.

Upvote 0

BuddhasHomeGirl

Certainly the price is a drawback, but if I am remembering correctly I paid more for my AKL room than I did my Poly room.

Even when it is really busy I don't remember waiting more than 10 minutes for a monorail, I have waited over 30 minutes for a bus! Even if you end up standing on the Monorail at least its only for 5 minutes, I have stood on a moving bus for 20+ minutes. :hurl:

I despise the buses in every way shape and form, its worth the $100.00 I spend to just get a rental car, I REALLY hate the buses. lol

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The big drawback that I have found at the monorail resorts ironically was transportation. The bus system seems to be among the worst on property when you are traveling at off peak times. In our case the Poly, GF and Contemporary were all combined on the same route and it just took forever to get to DTD, DHS or AK. When the monorail goes down you are way screwed. I was staying at the Poly for a convention at the Contemporary. I needed to be at a reception in about 1/2 an hour...no problem hop the monorail and I'll be there in just a few minutes. Well the monorail was down. I went to the dock to catch the boat to the Contemporary only to find the entire dock packed with other guests attempting to do the same thing. I had to walk over to the TTC take the ferry to MK and then walk to the Contemporary. All in a suit jacket and tie in late August. Had I been at the GF I really would have been in a pickle as the situation at its dock was identical to that of the Poly and they had no TTC option.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

They are all walkable if the monorail is that busy.
Walkable from where?

Of course I know you can walk from MK to Contemporary. And I know you can walk from Poly to GF. But just how do you propose to get from MK to Poly by walking. I wouldn't risk my life walking along that busy, unlit roadway without a sidewalk. And there's no walkway between GF and MK ... there's a canal in the way, and no bridge.

Upvote 0

durangojim

The monorail is also great if you have kids in strollers. Not having to break down the stroller is a big plus. The GF and Poly also have boat service to/from the MK so if the monorail is busy you can use the boat.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Walkable from where?

Of course I know you can walk from MK to Contemporary. And I know you can walk from Poly to GF. But just how do you propose to get from MK to Poly by walking. I wouldn't risk my life walking along that busy, unlit roadway without a sidewalk. And there's no walkway between GF and MK ... there's a canal in the way, and no bridge.

Well technically there is a walkway, though the lack of a bridge would challenge your determination.

Upvote 0

hansel1

Original Poster
Awsome!

These are the types of answers I was looking for. We are DVC owners at the Boardwalk Villas. My wife wanted to stay at one of the monorail resorts because of the monorail.

Boardwalk is manageable between epcot and DHS with the boats or walking. Likewise I find it manageable to walk through epcot and get on the monorail to the TTC then MK.

We have a child who loves his stroller (and it the big 3 wheeled jeep stroller). It seems to make more sense to stay at the boardwalk on points than pay cash for the monorail resort.

I could stay at a monorail resort but getting to DHS would mean a bus or a journey by monorail to ttc, epcot then boat to dhs.

Any more opinions.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

I would stay at the Beach Club or Yacht Club before the boardwalk. I think the Beach Club is better themed and cleaner. The price is the same.

Also, the bus service for the boardwalk area resorts are as bad as the GF, Poly, Contemp resorts as it is shared. This always bothered me because of the high cost to stay at those resorts.

Saying that, one of my favorite stays was at the Beach Club. I love being able to walk to Epcot and DHS. Especially if you are on the Dining Plan as you can eat and walk back to the resort.

Upvote 0

Mom2princesses

I think the only con is the price you pay to stay at a monorail resort. But for our family we spend most of our time at the MK and Epcot. DHS and AK are one day parks for us. I don't think the buses are any worse at the monorail resorts then they are anywhere else. Maybe the bus ride is a bit longer from AK because of their location. Yes the monorail is crowded like everything else at park closing but it is not that bad and you also have the other option of taking a boat ride home from the MK as well. Epcot we had no issues. Only one monorail ride home to the Poly and we had short walk back from the TTC to our room.

I guess another con is if you spend a lot of time at AK or DHS the bus ride is probably longer because of their location.

But in the end for us the monorail resorts pro's far out weigh their con's. Maybe when my younger one is older that might change! She's only 4 right now.

Upvote 0
The only drawback for us was the cost of the room. We stayed at the Poly on Dec. with two small children. We loved the monorail, you can't beat it if you have a stroller. We stayed in the Tahiti building and we used the bus at the TTC instead of the Poly. We always had seats on the bus and never had problems with a long wait.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom