what are the chances Disney continues to invest WDW post 2022 to correct the deficiencies in the build out of the parks?

bhg469

I know this would never happen for many reasons, but I wish the 5th gate would be DisneySea or something like it. That park just looks amazing. I have never visited Tokyo DisneySea or Japan for that matter, but from what I have seen and heard that park is absolutely unbelievable!

What theme do you believe the 5th gate will have? I know it may not be built for a long time (if ever), but does anyone have any ideas or wishes?
I have no doubt it would be Disney sea if they did. They've done away with themes for studios and Epcot so they don't really need to stick with one anymore but Disney sea is the easy bet..

Indy_UK

A build out of the current parks is still seriously needed. Especially in Studios and Animal Kingdom. I see a 5th park announced within the next 5 years though.

I really hope they're plan is to expand on the Skyliner property wide. It makes a lot of sense to do so.

CalebS

I’m just not sure if this current team would make a good new park due to management. As a fan I’m all for it, but i’m afraid that if they did it would be a severely under built park with 5 rides or have no cohesive theme whatsoever

DisneyDean97

i’m afraid that if they did it would be a severely under built park with 5 rides or have no cohesive theme whatsoever
I think Disney has learned from their past mistakes of half baked parks (Animal Kingdom, DCA, WDS, HKDL), Shanghai Disneyland is a great example. The park opened with a lot of attractions and a couple impressive exclusive attractions just for that park; so I have some faith in Disney.
As for a cohesive theme of a potential new park... yeah I have no faith in them. It’ll probably be a bunch of IP lands centered around a lake.

drizgirl

I think Disney has learned from their past mistakes of half baked parks (Animal Kingdom, DCA, WDS, HKDL), Shanghai Disneyland is a great example. The park opened with a lot of attractions and a couple impressive exclusive attractions just for that park; so I have some faith in Disney.
As for a cohesive theme of a potential new park... yeah I have no faith in them. It’ll probably be a bunch of IP lands centered around a lake.
I have a hunch they underbuilt SWGE. So I have no faith they would adequately build out a new park. Not that it matters. I don't think they'll add a 5th park at WDW or a 3rd park at DLR in my lifetime.

Indy_UK

Good thing about Orlando is that they can make Galaxy's Edge bigger if they wanted in the future. I don't think they have that luxury in California

DisneyDean97

I have a hunch they underbuilt SWGE. So I have no faith they would adequately build out a new park. Not that it matters. I don't think they'll add a 5th park at WDW or a 3rd park at DLR in my lifetime.
I think two attractions are the norm for new lands now, look at Avatar and Diagon Alley, even the Nintendo lands are rumored to only have two attractions. I think the days of having more complete lands like Fantasyland or Tomorrowland are over, unfortunately. If any land is going to be under-built it’s going to be Marvel land at DCA.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Where will the amount of people needed to staff a 5th gate come from, particularly when the Orlando labor market is reportedly already tight and Universal is also building another park up the road?

There's also the land question. Yes, there is a lot of unused land, but a lot of it is unsuitable for development. Where would a 5th gate go? The one of the larger suitable chunks is south of DHS, near WWoS. (That would mean that the All Stars and POP would be the closest resorts and thus command a(n even bigger) premium. That just seems... wrong.) Would they spend the money necessary to make all of the land west of MK suitable for development? That would present even more questions around the transportation infrastructure in that area. There's another large chunk similar to the land west of MK out past 429 and Western Way, some suitable, some marginally suitable, so again, $$$ would be needed to make it all suitable for development.

Personally, I don't think the current management has the appetite to spend the money necessary to build a 5th gate in Florida. People can point to Shanghai but Disney did not foot the whole bill for it. $3.4 billion is what I read was the estimated bill for TWDC of the $5.5 billion project overall. It would likely cost far more than that to build a new 5th gate.

The Pho

Where will the amount of people needed to staff a 5th gate come from, particularly when the Orlando labor market is reportedly already tight and Universal is also building another park up the road?

There's also the land question. Yes, there is a lot of unused land, but a lot of it is unsuitable for development. Where would a 5th gate go? The one of the larger suitable chunks is south of DHS, near WWoS. (That would mean that the All Stars and POP would be the closest resorts and thus command a(n even bigger) premium. That just seems... wrong.) Would they spend the money necessary to make all of the land west of MK suitable for development? That would present even more questions around the transportation infrastructure in that area. There's another large chunk similar to the land west of MK out past 429 and Western Way, some suitable, some marginally suitable, so again, $$$ would be needed to make it all suitable for development.

Personally, I don't think the current management has the appetite to spend the money necessary to build a 5th gate in Florida. People can point to Shanghai but Disney did not foot the whole bill for it. $3.4 billion is what I read was the estimated bill for TWDC of the $5.5 billion project overall. It would likely cost far more than that to build a new 5th gate.
Orlando is one the fastest growing cities in the country with one of the lowest average salaries. The market is growing fast enough to where by the time a fifth park would open, there would be more than enough to staff it.

There’s a few suitable areas depending on the size they would go for for the park.

02EBCF93-A859-4DB9-92AB-8B1995C9E635.jpeg
A720177E-D595-45B1-9C14-A4930E6295BF.jpeg

I doubt one comes anytime soon. Perhaps priorities will change with Iger’s successor though.

ppete1975

As long as Universal builds, Disney has to build. What Universal is going to do in the next 5 years, has Disney on its heels. As long as credit card companies give out debt, the crowds will come. Even though this year would in the past have lost some attendance unless people had been saving up for years, as the Tariff war is about to ramp up and cost of everything is about to sky rocket. Before people were ok with debt, this would have caused issues for Disney. I'm in the belief that even something like 9/11 that hurt the parks before will have no impact now.

The question is... if they build a fifth gate. Will there still be park hoppers or the same style? If you can go to five parks I can see park hoppers increase in price or them have you pick 2 parks etc.

Astro_Digital

Remember "Disney" is a corporation.
They care less about you, all that matters to them if they can get several thousand a year from you.

The parks are packed the share holders are happy, why invest spend money if people will come anyway ?

They are building Tron, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Mickey thing..... be glad for them.

Kane88

I really hope they're plan is to expand on the Skyliner property wide. It makes a lot of sense to do so.

My concern is how florida weather will affect the operation of the skyliner during the summer months. There will be times when it has to close. Also, since these gondolas aren’t climate controlled, how comfortable will these be for guests? I know they said there will be cross ventilation but will that be enough?

Naplesgolfer

Original Poster
Don't know that you can say Epcot is "incomplete." Stale, maybe, but not incomplete.
Well maybe stale and unimproved then. Figment,living seas, spaceship earth and inventions need a redo or overhaul. The world showcase should have 2-3 more countries with 1 ride each and rides in 2-3 in the existing pavilions. This would make a park that would counter balance MK.

Last edited:

tomast

I have no doubt it would be Disney sea if they did. They've done away with themes for studios and Epcot so they don't really need to stick with one anymore but Disney sea is the easy bet..
For me Disney seas seems like islands of adventure

eliza61nyc

Well maybe stale and unimproved then. Figment,living seas, spaceship earth and inventions need a redo or overhaul. The world showcase should have 2-3 more countries with 1 ride each and rides in 2-3 in the existing pavilions. This would make a park that would counter balance MK.

That's a pretty interesting thought because there are many who feel that the problem with Epcot is that it's becoming MK part deux. Now for me I don't like rides in the pavilions. why do they need them? I hated maelstrom, frozen is a better ride but simply doesn't have a thing to do with the pavilion. the pavilions are supposed to be about the country.
I simply don't like the premise that every thing has to have a ride to be enjoyable.
I thought they were updating spaceship earth and inventions as we speak.

BlakeW39

That's a pretty interesting thought because there are many who feel that the problem with Epcot is that it's becoming MK part deux. Now for me I don't like rides in the pavilions. why do they need them? I hated maelstrom, frozen is a better ride but simply doesn't have a thing to do with the pavilion. the pavilions are supposed to be about the country.
I simply don't like the premise that every thing has to have a ride to be enjoyable.
I thought they were updating spaceship earth and inventions as we speak.

Yes, the parks being homegenized is a massive problem. All four should have distinct themes, but Epcot and Hollywood Studios' themes are being entirely forgotten, which is especially ashame for Epcot which should be unique. I think making the parks the same eliminates the need to do all of them and cheapens the MK.

Also I'm sorry but rides are the go-to attraction most guests want from a theme park, rides are pretty essential to have in World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom