what are the chances Disney continues to invest WDW post 2022 to correct the deficiencies in the build out of the parks?

eliza61nyc

Yes, the parks being homegenized is a massive problem. All four should have distinct themes, but Epcot and Hollywood Studios' themes are being entirely forgotten, which is especially ashame for Epcot which should be unique. I think making the parks the same eliminates the need to do all of them and cheapens the MK.

Also I'm sorry but rides are the go-to attraction most guests want from a theme park, rides are pretty essential to have in World Showcase.

lol, if they have rides what makes Epcot Unique?? Seriously. I would agree with you if there wasn't an entire other side to the park with rides and with GoTG coming on board they'll have plenty of rides and 3 other parks that are ride centric.

I simply don't agree that every thing has to have a ride and believe me I'm one who always love new stuff and loves Ip. The pavilions with short movies are great, they could put a few more in those that don't, I would much rather see a short video on Italy then stick another ride in there.. When rat ride comes on board, kiddies won't have to walk far to do a ride.

With two major long running festivals and places to eat WS doesn't need to stuff itself with more rides and gift shops.

Just a personal preference.

BlakeW39

lol, if they have rides what makes Epcot Unique?? Seriously. I would agree with you if there wasn't an entire other side to the park with rides and with GoTG coming on board they'll have plenty of rides and 3 other parks that are ride centric.

I simply don't agree that every thing has to have a ride and believe me I'm one who always love new stuff and loves Ip. The pavilions with short movies are great, they could put a few more in those that don't, I would much rather see a short video on Italy then stick another ride in there.. When rat ride comes on board, kiddies won't have to walk far to do a ride.

With two major long running festivals and places to eat WS doesn't need to stuff itself with more rides and gift shops.

Just a personal preference.

lol not having adequate entertainment options is not uniqueness. That isn't unique at all actually. DHS has less rides than Epcot.

Theme is what makes Epcot unique, not lacking rides, and yes other entertainment options also make Epcot unique but its their addition and not rides' subtraction that does it.

Rides are the focal point of themed entertainment. It isn't about what you want, I'm sorry but nobody wants to go to a theme park without rides. If you asked someone what the most important aspect of a theme park is, they would almkst certainly say rides. These rides can be thematically fitting or unique but they need to be there so that Epcot doesn't get the side eye again for being the 'boring park.'

eliza61nyc

lol not having adequate entertainment options is not uniqueness. That isn't unique at all actually. DHS has less rides than Epcot.

Theme is what makes Epcot unique, not lacking rides, and yes other entertainment options also make Epcot unique but its their addition and not rides' subtraction that does it.

Rides are the focal point of themed entertainment. It isn't about what you want, I'm sorry but nobody wants to go to a theme park without rides. If you asked someone what the most important aspect of a theme park is, they would almkst certainly say rides. These rides can be thematically fitting or unique but they need to be there so that Epcot doesn't get the side eye again for being the 'boring park.'

Agree but Epcot is definitely not "without " rides. Now lets take a step back and be realistic, if the rides where fitting " frozen" would not be there in the first place. There are quite a number of rides in Epcot, last time I was there.

Are we talking "what we wish" Disney would do? Or what they ARE doing?? One of the issues the purist here have is the Epcot is not themed anymore because they are simply slapping rollercoasters type willy nilly without rhyme or reason. Now as glad as I am that they got rid of that Older than dirt Ellen attraction, I do agree with the purist that rides are NOT what makes Disney unique. Heck folks here are mad because the crepeteria in France doesn't fit the theme and that's just a snack shop.

Once again the are plenty of rides in Epcot and is getting two brand new ones. I'm scared of some one who can't walk from Frozen in Norway to Ratotuille in the French pavilion without being "bored". They need a Mulan Ride in China because they don't have the attention span to make it through the wonders of china attraction?
And you know what its also ok if a few folks think it's boring, that's the great thing about Disney is it's variety. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone. If WS doesn't float their boat, just move on
What's wrong with a movie about the country??? sit down, chill and see why it's a great pavilion

again just my opinion. I know nothing. I just don't agree that having rides in every pavilion is "essential".

Last edited:

SirWillow

Where will the amount of people needed to staff a 5th gate come from, particularly when the Orlando labor market is reportedly already tight and Universal is also building another park up the road?

There's also the land question. Yes, there is a lot of unused land, but a lot of it is unsuitable for development.

Lots of labor in Orlando available, as it's been pointed out, and it's growing. It's also not unusual if they are in real demand of labor for Disney to import it from other places.

And the land isn't as big a deal as you might think. Remember, for MK they had to do a lot of drainage and land moving work. Bay Lake didn't exist at all before the Magic Kingdom, and they were told the site was unusable. They made it work- and incredibly so. Don't underestimate Disney Imagineers determined to make something happen.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Lots of labor in Orlando available, as it's been pointed out, and it's growing. It's also not unusual if they are in real demand of labor for Disney to import it from other places.

And the land isn't as big a deal as you might think. Remember, for MK they had to do a lot of drainage and land moving work. Bay Lake didn't exist at all before the Magic Kingdom, and they were told the site was unusable. They made it work- and incredibly so. Don't underestimate Disney Imagineers determined to make something happen.

Oh, I don't doubt the Imagineers ability to get things done. I doubt management's desire to spend the money necessary to allow Imagineers to get things done.

BlakeW39

Agree but Epcot is definitely not "without " rides. Now lets take a step back and be realistic, if the rides where fitting " frozen" would not be there in the first place. There are quite a number of rides in Epcot, last time I was there.

Are we talking "what we wish" Disney would do? Or what they ARE doing?? One of the issues the purist here have is the Epcot is not themed anymore because they are simply slapping rollercoasters type willy nilly without rhyme or reason. Now as glad as I am that they got rid of that Older than dirt Ellen attraction, I do agree with the purist that rides are NOT what makes Disney unique. Heck folks here are mad because the crepeteria in France doesn't fit the theme and that's just a snack shop.

Once again the are plenty of rides in Epcot and is getting two brand new ones. I'm scared of some one who can't walk from Frozen in Norway to Ratotuille in the French pavilion without being "bored". They need a Mulan Ride in China because they don't have the attention span to make it through the wonders of china attraction?
And you know what its also ok if a few folks think it's boring, that's the great thing about Disney is it's variety. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone. If WS doesn't float their boat, just move on
What's wrong with a movie about the country??? sit down, chill and see why it's a great pavilion

again just my opinion. I know nothing. I just don't agree that having rides in every pavilion is "essential".

We are talking about about both. Epcot does have rides. Epcot is lopsided and does not have an adequate selection of rides. Many of them are sub par. Compare Epcot with the other three parks. The other three parks have excellent rides; MK has rides such as Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates. DAK has Kilimanjaro, Everest, and FOP. DHS has ToT at least.

Future World and World Showcase both need rides, yes the movies are fine but I don't need to go to World Showcase to watch a documentary on China. That's silly. In order to have a good World Showcase, yes there should be attractions which provide a wide range of experiences. Not just C to D ticket dark rides. Do I have faith Disney will do well with World Showcase?...yes I do. Future World is tricky to handle but Disney could do very well using IP if need be in WS.

I love that Epcot has detail, stuff that you should slow down for and has a message and central theme. But let's compare it to DAK for a minute. Both have these elements. However DAK succeeds where Epcot fails because it does so in an entertaining way, providing unique experiences of a wide variety throughout the park, whereas Epcot hits you over the head with its message DAK slips it in naturally. DAK has slow pacing, and it has fast pacing too. And that is spread out evenly. Epcot's failure to execute entertainment first and using it to promote education is part of why Epcot has failed.

eliza61nyc

We are talking about about both. Epcot does have rides. Epcot is lopsided and does not have an adequate selection of rides. Many of them are sub par. Compare Epcot with the other three parks. The other three parks have excellent rides; MK has rides such as Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates. DAK has Kilimanjaro, Everest, and FOP. DHS has ToT at least.

Future World and World Showcase both need rides, yes the movies are fine but I don't need to go to World Showcase to watch a documentary on China. That's silly. In order to have a good World Showcase, yes there should be attractions which provide a wide range of experiences. Not just C to D ticket dark rides. Do I have faith Disney will do well with World Showcase?...yes I do. Future World is tricky to handle but Disney could do very well using IP if need be in WS.

I love that Epcot has detail, stuff that you should slow down for and has a message and central theme. But let's compare it to DAK for a minute. Both have these elements. However DAK succeeds where Epcot fails because it does so in an entertaining way, providing unique experiences of a wide variety throughout the park, whereas Epcot hits you over the head with its message DAK slips it in naturally. DAK has slow pacing, and it has fast pacing too. And that is spread out evenly. Epcot's failure to execute entertainment first and using it to promote education is part of why Epcot has failed.
??? you want it to be like the other parks yet be unique. Sorry that's sort of an oxymoron. Epcot does mot need a space mtn or kilimanjaro. You go to the other parks for that. Every park does not need a rollercoaster to be entertaining.
Maybe that's the disconnect, I don't compare it to Animal kingdom. They are NOTHING alike nor do I want them to be.
Now totally get updating and making it fun and entertaining but I think you are selling visitors short, they don't have to have a ride every 100 feet to do that.
Soarin
GotG
Test track
SSe
Are all excellent and there will be ratotuille.
That will be 4 major rides.
All good, everybody is not going to like all 4 parks equally. I'm hoping they show more imagination than sticking more coasters every where.
But sadly after thinking about it and seeing how many people have their faces glued to their phones in the parks and on rides, I can now definitely believe we've sunk to the point of not being able to walk 100 steps without having to be entertained.
It's funny you compre it to AK, that's a 1/2 day park for us with the worst night
Time show on the planet
Time will tell

Last edited:

BlakeW39

??? you want it to be like the other parks yet be unique. Sorry that's sort of an oxymoron. Epcot does mot need a space mtn or kilimanjaro. You go to the other parks for that. Every park does not need a rollercoaster to be entertaining.
Maybe that's the disconnect, I don't compare it to Animal kingdom. They are NOTHING alike nor do I want them to be.
Now totally get updating and making it fun and entertaining but I think you are selling visitors short, they don't have to have a ride every 100 feet to do that.
Soarin
GotG
Test track
SSe
All good, everybody is not going to like all 4 parks equally. I'm hoping they show more imagination than sticking more coasters every where.
But sadly after thinking about it and seeing how many people have their faces glued to their phones in the parks and on rides, I can now definitely believe we've sunk to the point of not being able to walk 100 steps without having to be entertained.
It's funny you compre it to AK, that's a 1/2 day park for us with the worst night
Time show on the planet
Time will tell

You're misunderstanding me. I am not saying the guests need rides every 100ft. I also do not want Epcot to have a Kilimanjaro (but Space Mountain would be concept perfect for Future World) Like I said Epcot not having rides is not what makes it unique. Epcot is supposed to inspire. It has a strong central theme. Which in WDW is something it only shares with DAK. Of course each park will offer something unique. However a movie is just not comparable to a ride or show or interactive attraction etc. They don't have to have coasters. I said entertainment should be diverse. Diverse is not a couple of C or D ticket dark rides and... documentaries. Like those attractions, some are better than others but I wouldn't say any are comparable to the ones I mentioned. A ride should not be judged upon its goal, a goal for experience can differwnt but in how it accomplishes that goal. I'm sorry but World Showcase is not exempt from having more attractions because Future World has some, many of which need to be updated anyway

wdwfan4ver

Soarin
GotG
Test track
SSe
Time show on the planet
Time will tell
Soarin' around the World is not an excellent ride. I thought the original was better. There are worse rides in Epcot, but it is a step down.

Soarin' around the world is a CGI fest including the Taj Mahal. I also have a problem with a lot of the seating spots has the guests seeing landmarks that looks distorted like the Eiffel Towel.

Test Track is more on the person if it is a great ride. For me, I like the original Test Track better. While Tron track has guests create vehicles, it does nothing outside of giving out a score a score during the ride.

BlakeW39

Soarin' around the World is not an excellent ride. I thought the original was better. There are worse rides in Epcot, but it is a step down.

Soarin' around the world is a CGI fest including the Taj Mahal. I also have a problem with a lot of the seating spots has the guests seeing landmarks that looks distorted like the Eiffel Towel.

Test Track is more on the person if it is a great ride. For me, I like the original Test Track better. While Tron track has guests create vehicles, it does nothing outside of giving out a score a score during the ride.

This. Epcot doesn't actually have one attraction on par with those that I've mentioned imho. In the past this would be a different story but Guardians is their best shot. But oh wait, it doesn't fit thematically.

Nevermind, Star-Lord went to Epcot in the 80s lol

Naplesgolfer

Original Poster
Let's remember Disney themselves where going to put ride's in Japan ( the show building is built) and in Germany. They just used the excuse of not finding a sponsor all these years not to build them. :banghead:

Trackmaster

I think that the only park where it was a problem was Hollywood Studios..., but wham! You're getting the biggest addition in the country to a park in a few months. No problems there for a few years.

AK: My personal favorite of the parks. Pandora and Expedition Everest are enough to keep me for the few hours I go, and its also supposed to be more of a zoo and educational land to explore anyway. They could add some new rides, but I don't see a problem there.

EPCOT: Its supposed to be the park that you go to when you want some production when every other park is busy. It also lets you explore some educational stuff, and get easier to get ADRs and just be a place to chill. Plus, its where they put most of the festivals. They're building a coaster in two years, and we'll see if that ruins the vibe.

And obviously MK has tons of attractions.

So I'm not sure if its a huge deal. With HS being addressed, I think that two of the parks are balanced with MK being the major one, and EPCOT is almost like a downtown Disney. Its great for vacationers on a hopper and AP holders, but you'd obviously be pretty ed if you bought a single day ticket at full price just for EPCOT.

Shelen74

I think Disney WILL definitely build a new park, perhaps taking a page out of Universal's book and connect it to an existing park with a bridging attraction, which would require a park hopper ticket...(think Hogwarts express) so both the transportation box gets checked and the park hopper ticket upgrade box. Question is which park could get a bridge to another park where you HAVE to do both?? Perhaps an Animal Kingdom bridge to Zootopia ?? I feel it would need to be an IP that DEMANDS it...so perhaps a MARVEL experience. Time will Tell.

BlakeW39

I think that the only park where it was a problem was Hollywood Studios..., but wham! You're getting the biggest addition in the country to a park in a few months. No problems there for a few years.

AK: My personal favorite of the parks. Pandora and Expedition Everest are enough to keep me for the few hours I go, and its also supposed to be more of a zoo and educational land to explore anyway. They could add some new rides, but I don't see a problem there.

EPCOT: Its supposed to be the park that you go to when you want some production when every other park is busy. It also lets you explore some educational stuff, and get easier to get ADRs and just be a place to chill. Plus, its where they put most of the festivals. They're building a coaster in two years, and we'll see if that ruins the vibe.

And obviously MK has tons of attractions.

So I'm not sure if its a huge deal. With HS being addressed, I think that two of the parks are balanced with MK being the major one, and EPCOT is almost like a downtown Disney. Its great for vacationers on a hopper and AP holders, but you'd obviously be pretty ****ed if you bought a single day ticket at full price just for EPCOT.

lol after years of not doing enough they are NOT finished with the parks after they finish these updates in these coming few years.

DHS: They just got TSL. They're getting MMRR, and SW:GE. However the park will still be in shambles, an incohesive mess. It will need to more clearly distinguish itself thematically. Star Tours and Indy will be outdated and will need to change. An Indy land I feel would really round out the park and give it a more solid selection of lands. Even then it just needs to... come together more. Plus it will still be massively lacking.

DAK: Just got Pandora. Honestly this is the only Disney park I can see being on par with the best Disney parks with minimal effort. Which means overhaul Dinoland pronto and then add in a few more attraction, at least one of which needing to be an E. A new land would be good as well... we could discuss all day what that should be but I digress.

MK: Right now it needs to be brought uo to par with the other castle parks. I find it embarassing that Disney's top dog (of the world) doesn't compare to its sister parks.

EP: lol you know Epcot is bad when it doesn't justify a ticket and is basically Downtown Disney. Updates are needed badly. That rehaul must come big time...

BlakeW39

I think Disney WILL definitely build a new park, perhaps taking a page out of Universal's book and connect it to an existing park with a bridging attraction, which would require a park hopper ticket...(think Hogwarts express) so both the transportation box gets checked and the park hopper ticket upgrade box. Question is which park could get a bridge to another park where you HAVE to do both?? Perhaps an Animal Kingdom bridge to Zootopia ?? I feel it would need to be an IP that DEMANDS it...so perhaps a MARVEL experience. Time will Tell.

Why do you think Disney will build a new park, lol they can't even manage what they have so hopefully not!

Disstevefan1

Just my opinion, to answer the OP's question, Disney doesn't need to do anything. While I love to see additions to the parks, no matter what Disney does (or does not do) the parks will continue to be mobbed with visitors with wallets open, many of which who have already paid in advance; vacation packages, dining plans and the mother of all instruments to pay Disney in advance, DVC

Trackmaster

lol after years of not doing enough they are NOT finished with the parks after they finish these updates in these coming few years.

DHS: They just got TSL. They're getting MMRR, and SW:GE. However the park will still be in shambles, an incohesive mess. It will need to more clearly distinguish itself thematically. Star Tours and Indy will be outdated and will need to change. An Indy land I feel would really round out the park and give it a more solid selection of lands. Even then it just needs to... come together more. Plus it will still be massively lacking.

DAK: Just got Pandora. Honestly this is the only Disney park I can see being on par with the best Disney parks with minimal effort. Which means overhaul Dinoland pronto and then add in a few more attraction, at least one of which needing to be an E. A new land would be good as well... we could discuss all day what that should be but I digress.

MK: Right now it needs to be brought uo to par with the other castle parks. I find it embarassing that Disney's top dog (of the world) doesn't compare to its sister parks.

EP: lol you know Epcot is bad when it doesn't justify a ticket and is basically Downtown Disney. Updates are needed badly. That rehaul must come big time...

WDW is the only resort in the chain with four gates though. What is has easily beats the other resorts in total. And, you consider that there are a lot of options in Orlando for visitors as well. I think that WDW could use improvements, but I don't think that the sky is falling. I personally do believe that EPCOT is right where its supposed to be. Its for special events, and is basically a Downtown Disney for APs and hotel guests with hoppers. Nobody buys single day tickets without hoppers really. If anything, the new coaster may take away some of its charm, and add crowds that weren't meant to be there.

drizgirl

WDW is the only resort in the chain with four gates though. What is has easily beats the other resorts in total. And, you consider that there are a lot of options in Orlando for visitors as well. I think that WDW could use improvements, but I don't think that the sky is falling. I personally do believe that EPCOT is right where its supposed to be. Its for special events, and is basically a Downtown Disney for APs and hotel guests with hoppers. Nobody buys single day tickets without hoppers really. If anything, the new coaster may take away some of its charm, and add crowds that weren't meant to be there.
The number of gates is immaterial if they are underdeveloped. DLR has almost as many attractions in 2 parks as WDW has in 4.

And I think you'd be surprised at just how many single day single park tickets Disney sells.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom