What are the cabins at the Fort Wilderness like staying at?

pluto13

Original Poster
They look so cool online, but could you tell me your experiences here. Not the campsites just the cabins and amenities such as bus service.

shuflemstr

Fort Wilderness is one of my favorites along with Old Key West. I love the cabins. I like not having anyone above you like you have in a hotel where you hear them above you. If you stay here, I highly recommend renting a golf cart. It's a lot easier and quicker to get to bus stops and to the trading posts. I like taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom. It's just something about the boat ride that I love.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We loved our stay in the cabins. So very quiet and secluded. Nobody running up and down a hallway, or tv blaring in the next room (well, unless it's your own in the other room!). You do have to take 2 modes of transport to get anywhere. Buses internally, then either a boat to MK, or a bus to the other parks. We were only a minute walk from the internal bus stop, and the main bus stops were the very next stop, so we had no issues with having to take 2 buses. The boat to MK was really awesome, and if you time it right in the evening, you get to see the water parade! We don't look at Disney transportation as taking time away from our vacation, but as a method to meet other people.

Highly recommended!!!

BryceM

Very nice. They are spacious, pretty and you feel very relaxed. Fort Wilderness itself is huge, so it can be a bit inconvenient to get around. But the boat ride to and from the Magic Kingdom is AMAZING, especially at night. I would highly recommend a stay at the cabins.

I think it depends on how many kids you have, getting around with several children is already a challenge, buses and golf carts to get to a main bus, then to the parks or another resort for dinner or a show, its alot. Just looking at the whole picture :)

Greenkai3000

The cabins are neat, very spacious, comfortable, and you feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere, in the woods. Having said that, getting to and from the parks is a BIG PAIN. You have to walk from your cabin to the shuttle stop that will take you to either the boat dock (for Magic Kingdom) , or to the bus stop to catch the bus to the other parks. In other words plan on spending a lot of time to get anywhere from the cabins.

mouselover321

I've never actually stayed there, so I'm just throwing my opinion out right now. This might not be true. We were going to stay there on our next trip, but when my family and I were talking about it, we decided not to. We felt like it wouldn't feel like being at Disney. It would feel like camping, and it would just be really weird. Again, with that being said, that might not even be the case. It was just our perspective of it. I've heard they are really nice, but, as others have said, the transportation is a challenge. Good luck!

Hobnail Boot

I've never actually stayed there, so I'm just throwing my opinion out right now. This might not be true. We were going to stay there on our next trip, but when my family and I were talking about it, we decided not to. We felt like it wouldn't feel like being at Disney. It would feel like camping, and it would just be really weird. Again, with that being said, that might not even be the case. It was just our perspective of it. I've heard they are really nice, but, as others have said, the transportation is a challenge. Good luck!

I think this was my main problem when we stayed in a cabin a few years ago. While the cabins are nice, they felt like well-themed mobile homes to me and I didn't get that "I'm at WDW" feeling I want when I visit. I also didn't like having to use an internal transportation system to get around the resort. I usually get up before the rest of my group and hit the resort eateries and shops and I couldn't do that here without hopping on a bus. With that said, the cabins are very spacious, nice, and affordable (by Disney standards). The rest of my group LOVED them and want to stay there again.

mouselover321

I think this was my main problem when we stayed in a cabin a few years ago. While the cabins are nice, they felt like well-themed mobile homes to me and I didn't get that "I'm at WDW" feeling I want when I visit. I also didn't like having to use an internal transportation system to get around the resort. I usually get up before the rest of my group and hit the resort eateries and shops and I couldn't do that here without hopping on a bus. With that said, the cabins are very spacious, nice, and affordable (by Disney standards). The rest of my group LOVED them and want to stay there again.
I totally understand that. That's why we aren't staying there. I would rather stay at a Disney themed hotel!

GeoDonJac34

I have never stayed there, but feel the same way. I like Disney 24/7. It doesn't seem to have that feel to me. could be wrong though.

Epcot-Rules

The cabins are like having your own house on Disney property. Like others have stated, no kids running up and down the halls, no doors slamming all hours of the night. You have your own patio and grill. I have stayed in them twice and my RV once. We love the camp grounds and all they offer.

The best advice I can give you on any spot at the camp grounds, Get A Golf Cart. This will maximize your overall experience. No waiting at the bus depot to catch a bus to the main bus depot. You can drive your cart to the Electric Boat Parade nightly, the outdoor movie, the swimming pool, the country store, and sight seeing.

deanaandrich

If you are driving down, bring your bikes! It's part of the whole experience. There's so much to do at the campground, my family doesn't even venture to the parks. I have been staying there on a regular basis since I was a toddler. I typically stay in a camper, but will be staying in a cabin for the 2nd time in a couple weeks.

aladdin2007

I hate to say this because we love ft wilderness, but the cabins were horrible, at least the one we were in. Its great having your own little house so to speak while there, but it was so outdated. The kitchen I dont think had been changed out since the 70s and the bathroom was in such disgusting condition and old and shotty. I realize its suppose to be roughing it, but for the money it should not have been in the condition it was. I guess we should have complained right away but I dont know what they would have done except maybe move us to a different one? The rest of the party just didnt want to bother with it and make a scene. Anyway until I hear they have been remodeled or something would never again stay in one. Theme wise it was fantastic, it was just too bad it was so outdated and ran down. Were finding that when you use a florida resident rate or passholder rate, you get the worst of rooms and locations.

Scrump520

My family and I love these cabins. I cannot think of a resort with more of a Disney feel. The interior was very rustic and really welcoming. There are countless activities here...I think you could have an entire vacation just at Fort Wilderness. I highly recommend watching the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach. Honestly enjoyed it more than the Poynesian.

ECU_PIRATE

My family and I have stayed at FW many times in both our RV and a few times in the cabins. The cabins are great and have a ton of room. Yes, the travel time is a little longer than some of the centrally located hotels but being away from all the busy areas is the whole point of staying at a rustic, outdoorsy campground. Personally we do not like to be cooped up in a hotel room when we are not at the parks and FW just offers a lot more to do outside of either the cabin or your RV.

As far as everyone saying the theming does not feel like disney, it is the same theming as Wilderness Lodge or even Frontierland and no one complains about their theme. You do not need to have giant disney figures all over the property to be a disney themed resort.

deanaandrich

Just spent the weekend there. 5 adults and 1 child. Plenty of space. Nice kitchen. They will deliver groceries to your cabin. If you need something specific like a baking sheet and spatula, just call them up. Great atmosphere. Tons of activities that the other resorts don't have. We had our bikes with us- easy 15 minute ride to wilderness lodge. and guess what- you can pool hop to the lidge. yep we asked. no problem. No complaints. Great deal.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
A great place to stay. Weve stayed a couple of times. Ideal when the girls were in their early teens. They had the privacy and space of the bedroom while we had the murphy bed. Handy to have the kitchen for breakfast but we didnt use it for much else. As for transport issues, we never encountered problems and you dont need to be a MENSA member to work out how to get about, regardless of some of the mince posted about it.

Vader2112

I agree with some folks as they are basically Modular/Mobile homes with a cabin facade and decor on the inside. I have not stayed yet . I like to have the ammenities of the resort closer to my room and better yet room service if needed. I still would like to check them off my list though and have the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom