What are all of these buildings (satellite picture)

wdwcrazy

Original Poster
I just was browsing wdw's property by satellite. I was wondering what all of them are? I see the monorail station place, but what is everything else there? It's to the northeast of MK.

Attachments

• satellite1.jpg
    satellite1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 380

Michael72688

I think these are the places where they build a lot of their stuff, like the globe for RoE. My aunt used to work there, so I'm pretty sure thats what that is

drewDAK

The buildings that are NE of the Magic Kingdom are the Disney University, storage warehouses for holiday decorations and the monorail warehouse.

On your next visit, go straight up World Drive and past the Contemporary. Security should not bother you.

wdwfan65

Banned
Most of the larger buildings to the right are storage,one is for christmas items only,one of the others is maintenance and yes that is the monorail repair barn and train and some bus repair.One building is the Disney university,not shown in the picture is cast parking,property and control(my favorite place)and the child care building.Its very cool going back there its the best place to see the fireworks.Also the round buildings are water and sewer:wave:

raven

I was back there in that area in September. The building which looks like it has things coming out of it (looks like wires in the picture) is the maintenance building for the Monorail and train, the building above that hold seasonal decorations for the parks, the building to the right of the decoration building is Disney University and is made for conferences, training, payrol, etc. It also has the Company D store in it and a cafeteria. A little north of that (but not in the picture) are 2 large tents that hold broken or discontinued merchandise for CM purchase only. It's more like a junk yard though. You really have to be digging to find a bargain. :animwink:

All of these areas are for CM only and you have to have your ID to get to them. One road to get there is right next to Space Mountain and north of the Contemporary. You can see the road from the Monorail if you look down while passing Space Mountain.

Monorail Lime

The steam train goes in on the ground level and monorails go in up top. I'm suprised you can't see the railroad track on the map considering how obvious the monorail beams are! They have busses parked all around but I don't think any of the maintenance actually occurs in that building. Maybe our Bus Boi can clear that up.

The stuff on the left is the stinky environmental processing facilities and the stuff on the right is storage and ride engineering and maintenance.

niteobsrvr

Unless they have moved vehicle maintenance as they were talking about to an area near the water plant, bus maintenance is housed in the same building as the monorail and steam trains.

I have to give Disney credit for the design of this building because most transit systems the size of Disney's and covering similar amounts of land would have multiple facilities for these functions.

Invero

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Unless they have moved vehicle maintenance as they were talking about to an area near the water plant, bus maintenance is housed in the same building as the monorail and steam trains.

I have to give Disney credit for the design of this building because most transit systems the size of Disney's and covering similar amounts of land would have multiple facilities for these functions.

From what I'm to hear, Disney Transport is taking over one of the old vehicle maintenance buildings on Bear Island... going to call it VM South... *shrug* not sure what's going to be going on there. But with all the problems with the Nova's... they need the extra facility. And yet we continue to get more, instead of terminating the contract. Good thing they're only leased.

niteobsrvr

the buses are all parked at the transportation and ticket center every night. Except for the ones that are broken down. You can see some of those in the pic that was posted

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by DBF John

The pic I posted is from an Cast Atlas, it would better if you got one for your self, I dont have a scanner to make pic files with, If you look at this EBAY link ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=723174922 ) there is one for sale very cheap if no other bids come in.
Wow, that is a lot newer than my Cast Atlas! Mine still has the Skyway and is missing most of Animal Kingdom. Maybe I'll have to get my bid on...

jmarc63

nite..... You have to remember one thing here. this area was the original service area for WDW when opened in 1971, except for the Monorail barn addition in 82 for Epcot and one or two additional buildings this area is pretty much as it was in 1971 and the area needed to be used effecently and was designed as the central service and building area for WDW. I am shur there have been other areas built or desiginated for servicing of WDW infastructure with the heavy expansion in the last twenty years.

Invero

the buses are all parked at the transportation and ticket center every night. Except for the ones that are broken down. You can see some of those in the pic that was posted

Gee, look at all those Novas! I don't think VM has enough room for when the new batch comes in... cuz surely they'll be just as crappy as the rest of 'em.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

Gee, look at all those Novas! I don't think VM has enough room for when the new batch comes in... cuz surely they'll be just as crappy as the rest of 'em.

Fantasia Boi,

I thought the Novas were supposed to and are a better bus...(compared to the oldr ones) the city..(Chicago) is getting new shipments of them every week.... they look really great...and I like the lower profile... are they that bad....?

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I would have to say that the NOVA's aren't a bad bus. But a lot of the drivers are abusive.

Watch the wash crew people take them over the speed humps on world drive at night. The speed limit on that road is 20 where those humps are and you really should be doing about 10 to go over them in a bus. Yet I would guess those folks are doing about 45.

The regular drivers are just as bad not to mention many are rather unwilling to change. I dont disagree that the RTS are some of the better busses ever built but things change. Some or maybe even many of the Stubborn old men and woman have done there fair share to vandalize the busses both through typical physical damage and also the way they drive them.

Also, did all of the mechanics and washcrew folks recieve intense adequate training to diagnose and repair the NOVA's. They are a little more technically advanced than the RTS's and many other larege vehicles that I am familiar with with the exception of the space shuttle. If ya don't believe me, remove that Panel just to the right of the driver just beneath and to the right of the radio and take a look at the electonics that controls the systems. Try and find that on an RTS.

With those factors out of the way, lets take a look at what DIsney did to make them screwy.

Putting the wheel chair ramp in the back of the bus is the screwiest thing I have ever seen. On the RTS's it made sense due to door width etc. On the NOVA's it should have been in the front so that the driver wouldn't have to leave the seat until the ramp is fully deployed and then retracted again. For one, this makes it nice if the ramp doesnt line up right or any of a myriad of things that could happen. Instead of walking all the way back through the bus and closing doors etc, you can do it right form where you are, realign things, and get the passenger on board. No to metion it would be easier to avoid damamge to the ramp if it were up front.

IT also puts the passenger requiring the ramp right in line with everyone else. The idea behind ADA regulations was not to make these passengers feel special or as if they need extra assistance but to allow them to feel like everyone else as much as possible. I personally would be offended if I couldn't wait my turn in line with everyone else if I were utilizing a wheelchair. ( i bet there are a number of people out there who use wheelchairs who can appreciate what I am saying).

Also, Disney's training on the new busses was anything but adequate. Now that they have been around for more than a year can anyone actually pre-trip the thing to the satisfaction of a DOT officer? Does anyone actually know what all the warning lights on the dash are for or how to accurately operate the climate control system?

I am not slamming all Disney bus drivers or Disney management. There are many good people involved with both who do an absolutely wonderful job. However, as is often said, it is usually the few who cause problems for the many.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom