We've heard different tales :)

PA-Maze

Original Poster
We've been going to disney for many years and always seem to go in the spring during spring break when the crowds are pretty heavy". We decided this year to try something different and to take advantage of one of the other many great themes Disney does and go in Dec. to enjoy the holiday festivities.
We are going to be there from the 10th to the 15th, and so far we have read that the crowds are some of the lowest of the year and it doesn't get incredibly busy until the week starting about Dec 20th. We've also heard that it is super busy the whole month of Dec. also.
So, my question is, which in your opinions is correct on this? THANKS!!!

wdwfan22

The first 2 weeks do December are a great time to visit. Crowds are not bad except for weekends with the exception of evenings at Epcot. Crowds will be manageable though as it gets closer to your departure date crowds will be picking up a bit. Have a great time!

I have been there a couple times in early December and we love it. Not only is the weather typically nice and cool, but the decorations and overall "vibe" of everything is amazing. As for the crowds, they weren't bad when we were there. However you never really know from year to year how the crowds will be. I've been there before on the classic "slowest" times and saw crowds so there's no telling for sure until you get there.

Hope you have a great time! :)

ParentsOf4

We've always had great success with visits during early to mid December. Reasonable crowds, nice weather, and the Christmas decorations can't be beat. You should be in for a treat!

Mukta

Crowds are usually manageable at that time, but due to the Fantasyland Expansion, this year may be different.
I went in Dec of 2010 and the crowds were medium at worst.

ParentsOf4

Crowds are usually manageable at that time, but due to the Fantasyland Expansion, this year may be different.
I went in Dec of 2010 and the crowds were medium at worst.
Good point, this year could be different. I wonder if there will be extra crowds because FLE will be partially open. It's sure to draw in some but who knows how many. I haven't seen any adverisement for it yet so it's possible that a lot of casual WDW guests won't even be aware of it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The one thing to remember is there are really no slow times at WDW anymore. Many us remember the days following 9/11 where there were months at a time that we could all but that the parks to ourselves. Many of the stories you hear of deserted parks come from the 5 year +/- time preceding that event. Those days are long gone. Disney has done a very good job filling the attendance valleys that use to exist. That being said, there are times that are less busy than others. The first 2 weeks of December still qualify as one of those times but just barely. The crowds are not as bad as in the summer or the last 2 weeks of the year, but they are there. They are however still at a manageable level.

LizC

I wouldn't worry. December is full of great weather, beautiful decorations and you will get to see the new Fantasy Land! But if you just HAVE to know (like me ;)) check out touringplans.com. I have planned out my whole upcoming trip using the site. (ie. which parks to go to on which days.) There is small fee but it seems totally worth it. My Disney OCD has really relaxed knowing which parks are the best to go to each day.

Have a wonderful trip!

disneygirl1

Crowds are very managable in early December. We actually just booked our December trip yesterday. This will be our 3rd time going in early Dec and aas far as crowds go this has been one of the least crowded times I have been to the World. I am curious too to see if the FLE makes the crowds heavier this year. We head down on the 12th. Me... I'm more nervous about the weather then any thing. :D

experiment624

I would agree this year is going to be the anomaly and see higher than usual crowds. I have many, many friends taking their families throughout November and December, a time we normally avoid the parks. They are all excited about FLE and are planning on going just for the joys of being "some of the first". I will even be going during that time since I have my BOG reservation; and usually you wont find me near the world between thanksgiving and new years. Also, reading some other posts/threads, Disney isn't offering too much in the way of discounts/deals this year in anticipation that they'll get the crowds (even without discounts) with FLE expectations.

All of that being said, you're still going to enjoy yourself, and there's something different about people/crowds that time of year...

Goofnut1980

I am going the 14th to the 19th! Should be a perfect time to go. I have been many times in December. It shouldn't pick up till about the 20th with the people trickling in for the holiday. I can't wait! It is my favorite time of the year to you. (except the day after labor day, if you can take the heat. Noone is in the parks.)

luv

Like others have said, there really are no empty times any longer.

But it's better than August! :)

Doombuggy13

Went once in early December. Comparing to most other times the crowd are nothing. We stayed at Coronado Springs and usually we were the only family waiting for a bus at the stop. The Christmas decorations are up, Osborne Festival of Lights at DHS and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party make it all worthwhile. I would love to go again in December, but it just doesn't work for us during that time of year anymore.

ishmael0316

As a new local in Orlando, I have been told to avoid the 1st week of December now as people pile in for the filming of the Christmas parade. Don't know how true it is, but many people have echoed the sentiment, so I would say there is some truth to it. That being said, I will let you know as I cannot wait to see Disney on the holidays in person! WOOT WOOT!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom