Western Way Extension

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A South Florida Water Management District permit was filed for the Western Way Extension. This will be a 4 lane road that will connect Western Way from Flamingo Crossing to Route 545. One interesting thing on the plans is the "proposed pedestrian underpass" which at the moment is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. This might be an indication of future plans for that area.

upload_2016-8-24_8-21-55.png

mikeh

This is such a confusing project. I guess it could be a big part of Disney, but it seems like it's just not a priority at the moment.

pmaljr

To me, it sounds more like a mall/outlet stores being built with the underpass to the other side for parking. Totally a guess though. Maybe retail, like Walmart.

Mike730

My guess is employee housing or some sort of backstage complex is coming. Maybe both. Both would certainly bring more traffic to western way, perhaps enough to convince outside companies that a Flamingo Crossings investment is worth it.

raven

No it's a dead end.
Maybe I'm thinking of another road then.
My guess is employee housing or some sort of backstage complex is coming. Maybe both. Both would certainly bring more traffic to western way, perhaps enough to convince outside companies that a Flamingo Crossings investment is worth it.
I believe this is where the new Margaritaville Resort is being built as well.

ParentsOf4

Nope, that whole area is park of RCID. The dotted line is the RCID boundary.

View attachment 157173
Didn't Disney sell off some land since the last RCID report?

Edit: The OBJ reported it was 7 acres for the new hotels that were recently built there, part of a larger 158 acre lot under the Flamingo Crossing development.

And it reported another 8 acres sold to another hotel developer in July.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

I thought that the original idea of Flamingo Crossing was that it was supposed to be a kind of "Downtown Disney West" - but less "upscale". Hotels, shops, etc.

And it's been planned for something like 20 years but just never materialized although I think that there's a Marriott or La Quinta or something there, now... and nothing else. It seems like kind of an odd-duck location. In a way it's nice because you're fairly close to the parks but not in Craptown (US 192). Even then, though, it feels "out of the way"..

Gatorboy

Maybe I'm thinking of another road then.

I believe this is where the new Margaritaville Resort is being built as well.
No, Margaritaville is out on 192 covering an area that includes the old Splendid China park. Western Way is off 429 and connects with Lake Buena Vista Drive at Coronado Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom