Well-Hidden Attraction / Park Features

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Here's some more I found from thisisinsider. Most of these I (we) already knew, but some are unbelievable.

Did you know?
-All of the plants in Tomorrowland are edible
-Doritos were invented in Disneyland (Frito-Lay owned a restaurant at Disneyland called "Casa de Fritos, located near Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland)
-"No see 'em green" is a color imagineering uses to take attention away from a given area?

Rich T

-"No see 'em green" is a color imagineering uses to take attention away from a given area?
When I worked at Marriott's Great America, they referred to that lovely color as "Invisible Green." They used it on the two steel coasters and log flumes (maybe to appease the city?), but the end result was ugly dull green structures against a blue-brown sky. Disney actually knows how to make good use of the color. :D

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
When I worked at Marriott's Great America, they referred to that lovely color as "Invisible Green." They used it on the two steel coasters and log flumes (maybe to appease the city?), but the end result was ugly dull green structures against a blue-brown sky. Disney actually knows how to make good use of the color. :D

Haha i'm not sure who in their right mind would want that color on a coaster or log flume :p

Rich T

Haha i'm not sure who in their right mind would want that color on a coaster or log flume :p
My thoughts exactly every time I went to work. :D
invisiblegreen.jpg

oo_nrb

No, the effect originates from decades ago.

It was hijacked as zero for the HMH, but the effect has been a part of the original Mansion for decades, which is what McQueen was referencing.

https://longforgottenhauntedmansion...eird-glows-gleam-where-spirits-dwell.html?m=1

I was specifically talking about the effect in the cupola, as McQueen said, which is the Zero effect during HMH. The traveling light/candle effect was never used in the cupola, but rather on the "2nd floor" of the Mansion facade. The idea for Zero to be in the cupola may have been inspired in some fashion by the traveling light effect, but it is not the same effect/equipment, and was not "hijacked" for it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, Turn of the Century, the original corkscrew at MGA (I worked opening season). Willard's Whizzer was a stock coaster--Wild Mouse, maybe? I forget.

The Whizzer was a speedracer coaster, with a twin in Gurnee still operating today, in Hometown. It had a unique spiral lift hill instead of the normal one.

Demon (Turn of the Century) runs in County Fair. It was my first real coaster I rode when I was a kid.

Phroobar

I like the ADA compliant movie for the Nemo subs. You don't have to wait in line for it. Just ask a CM. The starfish is pretty cool.

I also miss the space eggs in the planter near the SM entrance.

Don't forget the little man's house in the tree near Indy.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The Whizzer was a speedracer coaster, with a twin in Gurnee still operating today, in Hometown. It had a unique spiral lift hill instead of the normal one.

Demon (Turn of the Century) runs in County Fair. It was my first real coaster I rode when I was a kid.

The Demon was the first "upside down" coaster I ever rode. I believe I had ridden the Grizzly first. When I was in Jr. High my friend and I went to GA three times a week for a whole summer. Back when season passes were cheap. No matter how many times I rode The Edge, I freaked out every time.

And yes, The Whizzer was a speedracer. There is a Wild Mouse coaster in the back of the park now called Psycho Mouse. Last one Arrow Dynamics built, I believe.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Demon was the first "upside down" coaster I ever rode. I believe I had ridden the Grizzly first. When I was in Jr. High my friend and I went to GA three times a week for a whole summer. Back when season passes were cheap. No matter how many times I rode The Edge, I freaked out every time.

And yes, The Whizzer was a speedracer. There is a Wild Mouse coaster in the back of the park now called Psycho Mouse. Last one Arrow Dynamics built, I believe.

I rode the Whizzer the summer of ‘83. It was the second “real” coaster I ever rode after the Demon earlier that summer. And when I say real, I mean non-Disneyland coasters. Matterhorn and Space Mountain were my actual firsts in ‘82.

Rich T

I rode the Whizzer the summer of ‘83. It was the second “real” coaster I ever rode after the Demon earlier that summer. And when I say real, I mean non-Disneyland coasters. Matterhorn and Space Mountain were my actual firsts in ‘82.
I miss the Whizzer. What a fun style of coaster--It's too bad they're not a thing anymore. The cars were so comfortable--It was like riding in a Lincoln Continental! :D

The Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz was my first real coaster; that's one of the reasons I love it so much. I had that experience I'm sure a lot of kids do on coasters; I was alarmed and scared for the first half of the ride, then realized I wasn't going to die and that the scary feeling in my gut could be fun since there was no actual danger, and by the final brake run I was a coaster fan. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I miss the Whizzer. What a fun style of coaster--It's too bad they're not a thing anymore. The cars were so comfortable--It was like riding in a Lincoln Continental! :D

The Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz was my first real coaster; that's one of the reasons I love it so much. I had that experience I'm sure a lot of kids do on coasters; I was alarmed and scared for the first half of the ride, then realized I wasn't going to die and that the scary feeling in my gut could be fun since there was no actual danger, and by the final brake run I was a coaster fan. :D

Well if you want to make a trip out to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee Illinois you can ride the Whizzer today. They still have theirs running. Remember that Six Flags Great America was originally a twin of Great America in Santa Clara built by Marriot's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom