Well-Hidden Attraction / Park Features

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
In light of seeing yet another well-hidden feature in a Disneyland ride, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to collaborate with all of my fellow Disney freaks. Let's share some secrets that only a handful of people actually know..

Did you know?
-In Haunted Mansion's cupola (underneath the weathervane) there is a orange flickering light swinging in the window?
-On the Twilight Zone ToT, the "Hollywood Tower Hotel" sign would very rarely light up in a pattern that was completely off from the traditional "W" flicker and burnt-out "O"?
-In the queue of Indiana Jones Adventure, where the line zig zags as Sallah gives his safety spiel, you can ask the CM up front to shine a light behind the projector, where there is a hidden Eeyore sign from the parking lot.
-The oldest tree in Disneyland is 150+ years old (it was originally planted in 1896), and it sits right around the fastpass distribution for Indiana Jones Adventure. See link

George Lucas on a Bench

Most of these types of "easter eggs" or "secret" factoids never really did anything for me. One time I found a relatively hidden charming feature and was genuinely impressed was when I first saw the cemetery on Tom Sawyer's island. It was an extremely minor thing that could be easily overlooked if you didn't venture to that part of the island or to the island at all (wouldn't blame you) and quite stupidly was removed in recent times.

BasiltheBatLord

Most of these types of "easter eggs" or "secret" factoids never really did anything for me. One time I found a relatively hidden charming feature and was genuinely impressed was when I first saw the cemetery on Tom Sawyer's island. It was an extremely minor thing that could be easily overlooked if you didn't venture to that part of the island or to the island at all (wouldn't blame you) and quite stupidly was removed in recent times.
Yeah I went to TSI for the first time in 10+ years last week and holy cow have they messed it up. Another example of something classic and timeless getting thrown into an IP blender for no reason.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My favorite is the asteroid in Space Mountain.

Though I always worry these threads will just be repeating info everyone already knows.

I remember the physical set asteroid pre-2005 :) Is there one in there now?

I was surprised at how many Disney peeps didn't know about the Eeyore sign. That's established, as is the oldest tree, but i'm mainly looking to share features that aren't written down anywhere on Google as a thing that exists. The orange light in HM, ToT lighting, my next post about HMH lighting ceremony.. stuff like that is too small for it's own topic and I wouldn't be surprised if no one knew about them. I also slightly remember something about stepping on the stones in the queue for IJA?

In other news, I can't believe I never knew about this until recently - I had no idea "Motor boat cruise" existed. I've heard there is still some old track in the water by the launch pad. Next time I go, i'll have to walk that area knowing it used to be a part of Disney attraction history.

Yeah I went to TSI for the first time in 10+ years last week and holy cow have they messed it up. Another example of something classic and timeless getting thrown into an IP blender for no reason.

It's been a while since i've been on that island. On my next visit I should investigate :)

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I feel like you can find most "secrets" on YouTube nowadays. One thing I never noticed and a CM pointed out to me was an area between Autopia and Matterhorn.

IMG_1511.JPG

The skid marks are easily noticeable, but I didn't realize that the fence was mangled and patched up and the only spot that has wood along the fenceline. These are the little details I love.

George Lucas on a Bench

I can't say I love a crummy old section of fencing with a piece of wood slapped across it, but it is an interesting anomaly. Why don't they replace it? Is it supposed to be "themed" to the fake tracks? What am I looking at here? What was the logic behind it?

I mean, the further I go down this rabbit hole, I realize it shouldn't even be questioned. Everything else in this photo (see: "Futuristic" Go-Kart ride passing underneath monorail track with a lone vaguely Fantasyland themed lamp and a robot in the woods) is just as slapped together and questionable as a dilapidated wooden fence.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I can't say I love a crummy old section of fencing with a piece of wood slapped across it, but it is an interesting anomaly. Why don't they replace it? Is it supposed to be "themed" to the fake tracks? What am I looking at here? What was the logic behind it?

Yes, it's themed. It's supposed to look like someone got out of control on Autopia and crashed into the fence and was patched up. Just a fun little easter egg the imagineers threw in.

SuddenStorm

Figments Friend

Gawd I love Disneyland....and a big part of the appeal is finding many of these hidden details and learning the stories behind them.

Here are a few I've come across that I wasn't expecting and were nice surprises that meant something to me.

I won't include the numerous tributes and references to my favorite Imagineer however that are spread around the Park.
Those can be found in my ol' 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland - a Venture' thread...and there are a LOT of them!

-

Framed photos ( and video footage ) of Disneyland's Opening Day on the upper deck of the Mark Twain.

The 'Four Thrones' of four famous Disney Princesses in a display window in Fantasyland.

Doll house in the Haunted Mansion's attic that looks like DLP's Phantom Manor.

Original old dimentional Main Street window display figures arranged high on a shelf within the toy section of The Emporium
( Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, etc. )

'Glitter' applied to the paint used for coloring the outer bricks of Sleeping Beauty Castle.

-

Old Mouseketeer

In light of seeing yet another well-hidden feature in a Disneyland ride, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to collaborate with all of my fellow Disney freaks. Let's share some secrets that only a handful of people actually know..

Did you know?
-In Haunted Mansion's cupola (underneath the weathervane) there is a orange flickering light swinging in the window?
-On the Twilight Zone ToT, the "Hollywood Tower Hotel" sign would very rarely light up in a pattern that was completely off from the traditional "W" flicker and burnt-out "O"?
-In the queue of Indiana Jones Adventure, where the line zig zags as Sallah gives his safety spiel, you can ask the CM up front to shine a light behind the projector, where there is a hidden Eeyore sign from the parking lot.
-The oldest tree in Disneyland is 150+ years old (it was originally planted in 1896), and it sits right around the fastpass distribution for Indiana Jones Adventure. See link

The Eeyore sign is an Easter Egg from the Imagineers because the Indy show building sits in part of what was the Eeyore section of the parking lot.

The palm tree at the end of the Jungle Cruise building next the the Indy entrance was on the Dominquez family property (as in Ron Dominquez, former President of Disneyland). Ron's grandson still works at the resort on the DCA side. The tree was planted to commemorate an engagement. Both of the grandson's parents came from families that sold land for Disneyland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Eeyore sign is an Easter Egg from the Imagineers because the Indy show building sits in part of what was the Eeyore section of the parking lot.

The palm tree at the end of the Jungle Cruise building next the the Indy entrance was on the Dominquez family property (as in Ron Dominquez, former President of Disneyland). Ron's grandson still works at the resort on the DCA side. The tree was planted to commemorate an engagement. Both of the grandson's parents came from families that sold land for Disneyland.

http://duchessofdisneyland.com/disneyland/the-dominguez-tree/

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

Similar to the tribute to the Country Bear trophy heads in Winnie the Pooh and the more recent Skyway gondola on the Matterhorn. At least the imagineers haven't completely forgotten about the past. ;)

Rich T

At DCA, I finally saw Mr. Limpet on the Mermaid ride on my last visit. The Incredible Mr. Limpet was a huge part of my childhood, as a local tv station seemed to run it every six weeks or so.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If you guys want more "above and beyond" theming, take a look at this pic. It was taken back when they were adding the overflow alleys to Main Street. It's taken from the raised platform in front of the train station. Notice the buildings in the background? Those are actually on the Star Tours building, because they wanted to make the sightline look like more Main Street buildings than seeing a show building. It's cool that they took that into consideration.

IMG_1221.jpg

Here's a view on Google Earth:

Screenshot (4).png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At DCA, I finally saw Mr. Limpet on the Mermaid ride on my last visit. The Incredible Mr. Limpet was a huge part of my childhood, as a local tv station seemed to run it every six weeks or so.

I'm still surprised to this day, given its a WB property, that either TimeWarner or now AT&T hasn't asked Disney to remove it and that they got away with it in the first place.

Rich T

I'm still surprised to this day, given its a WB property, that either TimeWarner or now AT&T hasn't asked Disney to remove it and that they got away with it in the first place.
True. Maybe they don't mind as long as it's so well-hidden and never advertised. But...know what surprises me even more? That Disney allowed MGM to show Mickey Mouse getting harrassed and ridiculed by the Oz characters in A Christmas Story. :D (And we all know that in the 1940's, Disney had nothing like a Mickey parade costume that looked that good!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom