"Welcome home."

"Welcome home!"

• I'm not at home.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Thanks!!

Votes: 111 79.9%
  • Nobody ever welcomed me because I am a leper.

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters

surfsupdon

We like it.

But we weren't welcomed home this past November. Instead we were ripped out of the cab by an iPad toting CM and literally dragged through the BoardWalk lobby to a counter. It was very, very awkward.

It isn't a disney trip without coming back from a long day at the park and being welcomed home! It's one of my hubby's favorite parts! Disney is always a place where I feel at home outside of my real home and I think that's what they are aiming for! I loveeee being welcomed home!!!! And "luv" you do have to pay to be in your home in your own bed assuming you have electricity,
Air conditioning, and a house with payments ....

JerseyDad

.....11 times to WDW in 10 years ....10 of the 11 at POP ...and NEVER has anyone "welcomed me home" ...or in any other manner that would exhibit that they knew I was a repeat guest.

....THAT ....bothered the hell out of me ..in particular this past trip in August where the CM at check-in was rude and gave us attitude when it came to looking into our room location request.

.....WDW has our entire history at their fingertips regarding where we were in any given day of our trip ...yet they overlook the fact that we kept choosing the same resort time after time. They can unzip with their big 'mickey hands' and go pi$$ up a rope....

.....11 times to WDW in 10 years ....10 of the 11 at POP ...and NEVER has anyone "welcomed me home" ...or in any other manner that would exhibit that they knew I was a repeat guest.

....THAT ....bothered the hell out of me ..in particular this past trip in August where the CM at check-in was rude and gave us attitude when it came to looking into our room location request.

.....WDW has our entire history at their fingertips regarding where we were in any given day of our trip ...yet they overlook the fact that we kept choosing the same resort time after time. They can unzip with their big 'mickey hands' and go pi$$ up a rope....
Never stayed at POP.... But the CM who
Checked us in at PORS was unbelievably rude! That is the only time in my 20 years going to disney that I have ever encountered a rude cast member! Sorry for you bad experience

:(
We have always been welcomed home and we go once or twice a year! I hate that for you and your family! Rudeness really takes away from the experience

disneygirl1

I love hearing the words welcome home, especially after a long day in the parks! For us Disney is our second home! It's like clock work, as soon as we step foot in MCO my DS says its good to be home again! We go so often Disney is out Home away from Home!

Jim Chandler

Have never run into a rude CM. The Welcome Home is used in association with DVC members. They know who we are from the cross info sharing they can do. Even if you stay at a resort and do not use your points they know you are a DVC member. My name address an birthday are more than enough info for them to know who is who and who is a DVC member.
Just stayed at GF and every one was great and at the parks all CMs were very friendly and helpful.
However with 70,000 CMs at WDW you just may run into a cranky one.

Nemo14

We took friends to see the decorations at the hotels in November, and at the gate at the Poly and also at the Beach Club we were given the "Welcome Home" greeting even though we were not staying there, are not DVC members, and do not have Magic bands or RFID tickets. We thought it was pretty humorous.

Cesar R M

Have never run into a rude CM. The Welcome Home is used in association with DVC members. They know who we are from the cross info sharing they can do. Even if you stay at a resort and do not use your points they know you are a DVC member. My name address an birthday are more than enough info for them to know who is who and who is a DVC member.
Just stayed at GF and every one was great and at the parks all CMs were very friendly and helpful.
However with 70,000 CMs at WDW you just may run into a cranky one.
Weird, When we were at POR; 80% of the buses we took.. had the "welcome home" thing.

psukardi

Every time we go they say 'welcome home'. At first I thought it was tacky but then I grew accustom to it. It's quaint.

One small thing - I wish the iPad that checks you in would notify the CM you've stayed at the same resort before and/or are a frequent visitor. That way they could skip some of the intro stuff and move along. Even then though it doesn't bother me , I like making small talk with the CM. Two trips ago the CM was from the place I went to college and we chatted about that....always the little things

luv

Original Poster
We took friends to see the decorations at the hotels in November, and at the gate at the Poly and also at the Beach Club we were given the "Welcome Home" greeting even though we were not staying there, are not DVC members, and do not have Magic bands or RFID tickets. We thought it was pretty humorous.
One time, I said, "We're just here to walk around" to the guy as I handed him my license. The license shows that I live right here in the Orlando area.

Still, "Welcome Home!"

Obviously, many people like this, so it's great that Disney does it.

Me, I feel exactly the same about as I would in any other hotel/motel...or if I walked into Publix and they said, "Welcome Home!" (This isn't my home. I don't know you. If you were in my house welcoming me home, I'd run out and call the cops. Just welcome me to the hotel, please.)

MarkTwain

They have been saying this to DVC members for a very long time, and it's something I still associate mostly with DVC. To me this makes more sense, since DVC members actually DO have a degree of paid ownership at the resort and return to it with regularity, much like an actual home. It's when it's said in non-DVC environments that I find it confusing, and I too wonder why they say it.

omurice

"Welcome Home" is alright, I see it as a harmless form of branding, and (usually) it is said in a friendly way.
Sometimes it feels like a CM would rather just say Hello, and I would be fine with that. If a CM is not in the mood, "Welcome Home" can sound pretty weak!

On the other hand, I love to hear "JAMBO" at AKL... The CMs say it with some gusto, especially at the restaurants it has a welcoming sound. Just thinking about hearing "JAMBO" is making my stomach growl for something from Boma or Jiko... :hungry:

luv

Original Poster
"Welcome Home" is alright, I see it as a harmless form of branding, and (usually) it is said in a friendly way.
Sometimes it feels like a CM would rather just say Hello, and I would be fine with that. If a CM is not in the mood, "Welcome Home" can sound pretty weak!

On the other hand, I love to hear "JAMBO" at AKL... The CMs say it with some gusto, especially at the restaurants it has a welcoming sound. Just thinking about hearing "JAMBO" is making my stomach growl for something from Boma or Jiko... :hungry:
I really like "Jambo" and "Aloha", too. :)

SDisney90

I've never been "welcomed home" and I'm not sure how I feel about that either. I've only stayed at a resort once, But in January staying at AllStar Sports again so we'll see..

tl77

I thought "welcome home" was only something they said to DVC members, and only at the DVC locations, because if you are a member you own a part of that property and technically, also legally, it is a 2nd home for DVC members, but if they're saying it to everyone, everywhere, all the time, that dose seem a little creepy and semi-cult like to me

luv

Original Poster
I thought "welcome home" was only something they said to DVC members, and only at the DVC locations, because if you are a member you own a part of that property and technically, also legally, it is a 2nd home for DVC members, but if they're saying it to everyone, everywhere, all the time, that dose seem a little creepy and semi-cult like to me
It's not just DVC, lol. It may have started that way, though!

It seems that most people like to hear it, so it's great that they do it. :)

SMS55

Considering how customer service is dead these days, someone is being nice to you. I think that might the issue with someone of you. You think it's fake because people are just so rude everywhere else. Not attacking anyone, just saying.

luv

Original Poster
Considering how customer service is dead these days, someone is being nice to you. I think that might the issue with someone of you. You think it's fake because people are just so rude everywhere else. Not attacking anyone, just saying.
It seems fake because we don't live there. It's not our home. We left our home to go there.

Also because those people don't know us. They didn't miss us while we were away and are not in a position to be welcoming us back.

That's why it seems fake...because none of it is genuine.

Graham9

We have not longed returned from Coronado Springs. When we first checked in we had a "Welcome Home" from the woman on security. To be honest, it was muttered under her breath without any sense of sincerity and felt almost like a third-hand sarcastic comment. It would have been better if she hadn't said anything. This was not our home and it adds nothing by pretending it is. We come here to get away from home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom