weirdest disney world experience?

Mr. Toad

My weirdest WDW experience happened a long time ago when I was a kid (probably around 1974-1975). We were in the Magic Kingdom and the park had just closed. I was sitting on a bench on Main Street in the circle across from Tony's waiting for some of our party to come out of the Emporium. I was really tired and I closed my eyes. I heard my dad say "OK, let's go" and I opened my eyes and poof all of the lights went out. Everyone just stopped and looked around wondering what happened (I think some people were expecting so sort of show to start).

Turns out that just after the Monorail left the MK station one of the axles broke and the wheel fell and hit the powerline (at least that is what we heard). It caused a blackout for most of the property. They got the lights back on in the MK pretty fast (seemed like it was less than 30 seconds). We took a boat back to the Polynesian where we were staying. The resort was still blacked out but they were prepared. The walkways were lit by just the torches. They had lit the lobby using candles (lots of them) and they had CMs to help out and answer questions. It was really cool seeing how quickly they responded to this accident. Of course by morning there were no signs that anything odd had happened the night before.

2much2do

Maybe not weird, but disturbing......

A few years ago we were checking into the All Stars and some girl was having some sort of problem. I didn't hear all the details, but I think the Mears shuttle people lost her luggage??? Anyway, she was flipping out. She had her All Stars mug and she threw it across the floor, and threw her bag and all her stuff fell out. She was screaming curses, etc. Unfortunately a piece of her mug broke and hit my mother on the leg and she had to have CM help her up and then she had a huge painful bruise on her leg for the whole trip, but anyway, security came and removed the spaz girl.

madhatter

Original Poster
another wierd experience was being a few urinals down from Danny Devito in the bathroom in tommorowland and also meeting Dave Mustaine from Megadeath and his family when I was working on the Jungle Cruise

The_CEO

I'm still trying to figure out if this was " destiny " or just luck....
It was about 9:00 at night..
I was sitting outside the ice cream shop in DownTown Disney with my brother and mom... I looked over to my mom ... Then i head my voice being called... " Justin" " Is That You"? i turned around to see one of my classmates coming over.. We talked for awhile then he left with his dad... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK.....

That was weird...
He lives in North Carolina where I used to live.. I left friday , I'm guessing he was going to disney world too ... We didnt really talk about where we were going that Spring Break before it happened.... Thats just weird...............

~ Justin....

tinkrbel

it wasnt something I saw ..but something a cast member told us about when we were at the gate waiting for it to open. She told us that once a man had actually punched Mickey because his kid didnt get an autograph .. I was disgusted .. first because of what he taught his child by doing that and because of what other kids seeing something like that might feel or think. And how awful for the CM :( I cant stand when I see parents yelling or hitting thier kids at WDW .. its awful to see that any where ..but to me it really destroys the magic for that child and everyone else.

tenchu

Thats out of order. It goes against everything WDW stands for anyway. How anyone can visit and do that is beyond belief.

tinkrbel

yes!

Originally posted by tenchu
Thats out of order. It goes against everything WDW stands for anyway. How anyone can visit and do that is beyond belief.

I know its really a sad thing .. I think the kind that would do that are not true disney nuts / addicts ..because there is just no way some one with a disney heart could be so rotten

Pioneer Hall

Re: yes!

Originally posted by tinkrbel

I know its really a sad thing .. I think the kind that would do that are not true disney nuts / addicts ..because there is just no way some one with a disney heart could be so rotten

No one Disney Nut or not should do that. Some people just have problems. And I bet punching the mouse made his kid happier too. Some people... :rolleyes:

Lisa

Thats ironic that others have mentioned "cranky" parents under this thread since my weirdest experience also includes a parental problem!

We were walking through the heavy crowd lined up for the parade at the MK. We were somewhere near the castle. It was VERY crowded, and hot, I'll admit. But out of no where, a man reaches down and whacks his kid so hard that the "thwack" actually parted the crowd and I swear I heard gasps. It was for a brief moment almost surreal. Amidst the "Zippity Do Da" and twinkle of pixy dust....I guess nobody expected to hear the sound of a child being slapped.

I'm pretty sure I'll never forget that one very still, very weird moment.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by Lisa
Thats ironic that others have mentioned "cranky" parents under this thread since my weirdest experience also includes a parental problem!

We were walking through the heavy crowd lined up for the parade at the MK. We were somewhere near the castle. It was VERY crowded, and hot, I'll admit. But out of no where, a man reaches down and whacks his kid so hard that the "thwack" actually parted the crowd and I swear I heard gasps. It was for a brief moment almost surreal. Amidst the "Zippity Do Da" and twinkle of pixy dust....I guess nobody expected to hear the sound of a child being slapped.

I'm pretty sure I'll never forget that one very still, very weird moment.

It breaks your heart too when a child is mistreated that way

Disneynutcase

Wow! A lot of bad experiences. Seems like few people have any fun-weird experiences. And yeah, I hate it when a parent goes off on a kid, and I hate it when my Mother says innappropriate things to people as we stand in line like she does whenever we're on vacation (similar to the "are there any Middle Easterns" comment posted earlier).

My favorite weird memory happened in the early 70's when I was six or seven years old. We were at MK--about a party of 10 of us, a bunch of cousins from three families and a few parents. My family is psycho at theme parks. We live to close parks. And we were fortunate enough to do Haunted Mansion one last time just before closing. So we ride the thing, and at that age, I find it very spooky, in fact I was border line scared of it...

Then we exit ("whew!) and there is NOBODY IN THE PARK. I mean we were the only ones around until we hit Main Street. My older cousins made sure to play this phenomena up as being much more sinister than what it was, but the memory of doing the spooky ride then having having the park be a total ghost town has stuck with me forever.

Then there's my experience at Disneyland. My wife used to work in radio promotions in L.A. and we got invited to a press night for what I think was the Pardy Gras Parade or Mickey's 50th Birthday celebration--nothing major or really significant, but there was a lot of celebs there that night. I've been to press parties before and after this particular event, but never saw anyone of much fame except for this night.

Michael Keaton and son were standing right behind us watching the parade.

And when we rode Star Tours (which is in Tomorrowland at DL) both Eisner and George Lucas very politely blew right by everyone to ride, making sure to greet people along the way. George was getting a lot of "great ride, Mr. Lucas" comments. This was over a decade ago when Star Tours was the coolest.

Again, it's a memory I'll never forget.

Weird enough? Hope so...

My weirdest experience was when I was with 4 of my best friends and we were standing in the middle of the road in front of the living seas at epcot. :D

All of a sudden we noticed that everyone was staring at us. It was just like in a movie. We all turned around at the same time and the Kristos(a parade of strange alien robot people playing with apples)were about a foot away from running us over! :eek:

We all screamed and ran behind the wall and hid, all the while cracking up because the mere appearance of the Kristos was frighteningly hysterical. :lol:

We still joke about it. :lol:

Spaceship Earth

Account Suspended
I agree!

Originally posted by tinkrbel
it wasnt something I saw ..but something a cast member told us about when we were at the gate waiting for it to open. She told us that once a man had actually punched Mickey because his kid didnt get an autograph .. I was disgusted .. first because of what he taught his child by doing that and because of what other kids seeing something like that might feel or think. And how awful for the CM :( I cant stand when I see parents yelling or hitting thier kids at WDW .. its awful to see that any where ..but to me it really destroys the magic for that child and everyone else.

I couldn't agree with you more. No parent should ever do that infront of a group of kids. That's just not right. But if you think about, why didn't Mickey give the poor kid an autograph? That's kinda sad too if you think about it. I'm sure one more wouldn't hurt. But yes, the parent had no right to do that.:veryconfu

Bairstow

I think my single weirdest experience at Walt Disney World experience would be the first, and only time I went on the Journey Into Your Imagination ride. The attraction had only opened about a half a month earlier, or so I remember. This was during the Millenium celebration at EPCOT when the village was still opened. My family had been invited to an annual passholders appreciation reception in a huge tent backstage adjacent to the Imagination pavillion. There were cookies, collectors pins, and other nice items provided to the couple of hundred people there, and as an added courtesy, JIYI was left open until we all left. So, basically we had not only the chance to see backstage EPCOT, but we, and about 20 other people, had the entire Imagination pavillion to ourselves from about 10:00 to 11:00. This was apparently due to the fact that the matinence staff running the ride was wanting to work out a few bugs out of the system, and since it would still be running they might as well let some priveldged guests through to test out the effects. As we were riding the ride for the second time, the car halted, right at the bit where the "train is supposed to pass over you". Now, there is always a bit of a delay for this part of the attraction, but this time, there was a LONG wait before the wind and sound hit. Now, eventually the fans did kick in, but when they did, good lord, they kicked in with a vengeance. I know that the wind in this part of the attraction was supposed to be great, to give the sense of standing next to a train, but I had ridden it twice before this time, and this was DEFINITELY abnormal. We're talking high-subsonic wind tunnel-force winds here, directed right at our seats, and our own personal hurricane lasted for about half a minute before the fans died. After the gale subsided, there was another pause in the attraction program. Keep in mind that the ride vehicles for JIYI have rather high walls and in this portion of the attraction the track is elevated a couple of feet off the ground. We waited for about three minutes in total darkness and silence until all of a sudden a big human head popped up from the darkness right next to our car. It took us about 4 solid seconds of screaming to realize that it was just a CM working on the track. He looked at us for a few seconds, blinked, and then dropped back down, dissapearing without a word. The worklights came on for a few moments, though we couldn't see anything but speakers and fans. Those went out, and the ride continued as normal. This was easily the most startling ride I've ever been on at any theme park.

Oh, afterwards we hung out outside the attraction building for about as long as they'd let us, just enjoying being at EPCOT on a nice fall evening. Only downside? We had to listen to the first 6 minutes of THIS MUSIC about 10 times through.

mucky

My weirdest experience

My girlfriend and I were at MGM and in line for the Rock and Roller Coaster where we were lucky enough to be standing in front of an Imagineer who worked on the ride. He said, he liked to check up on his projects from time to time when business was slow. We said we were big fans and he told us a lot about how the ride worked, and imagineering in general. I was really interested at first, but he started jabbering on and on and pretty soon I got sort of uncomfortable. He started boasting about his salary and talking about his posh place in Celebration, and after a while, I just wanted to get on the ride.
So after eating lunch, and taking a break, we hopped over to the ToT, and to our surprise, guess who was there!!! But not standing in line. Much to his embarrassment, our "Imagineer" was the CM that loaded us into the elevator car. He didn't make eye contact with us, and we didn't say anything. But he was obviously uncomfortable. :lol:

fngoofy

We were on Splash Mountain, the log had stopped briefly outside prior to one of the small lift hills. There was a couple seated behind us and the girl was vocally nervous about the ride.

Her boyfriend was trying to calm her down, I mentioned that it was a fun ride but not anything to be scared of. She progressed to freakout level, stood up and exited the log via the dock on our left with boyfriend following after.

The ride then progressed a bit before they called an all stop, inorder to exit her from the ride. Having a trained eye, I think she was mildly freaking on some acid, not bad, but enough. I shudder to think how she would have handled the Audio Animatronics, as we had yet to encounter them.

njchris65

Originally posted by Bairstow
We waited for about three minutes in total darkness and silence until all of a sudden a big human head popped up from the darkness right next to our car. It took us about 4 solid seconds of screaming to realize that it was just a CM working on the track.

HEEHEEHEE!!! What I wouldn't have given to have been a fly on the wall !! (with a camera!)

hahahha

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Living proof that its a small world. We were walking around Blizzard Beach when a man past in the opposite direction. My wife was convinced he was anold friend of ours. I was a little sceptical. We went back to our place near the water still debating the issue. Then would you Adam and Eve it, sat two rows infront of us was the afore mentioned gent and his wife and family. There was unbelievable scenes as two wifeys and long lost friends met up and the chance for two former Rugby team mates to enjoy the odd beverage. We shared the last few days of our holiday with them and all the kids really enjoyed it.
It is A Small World After All.

starsky

It's between two for me...

1. A bird crapping on my head in Tomorrowland. The one and only time this has happened to me and in the Magic Kingdom of all places.

2. Sitting in Drew Carey - Sounds Dangerous with my headphones off. I heard two CM's talking suggestively to each other and then the guy farted. I said something and they started laughing. Not surprisingly, when the theatre lit up again they'd made their exit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom