Weird things the "general public" say.

Mad Stitch

That I certainly can forgive, because you could be referring to the castle as Cinderella's, in the possessive.

OooooKay! No comment!

I wasn’t the one with the pet peeve, that’s just what I think that person was referring to and was answering your question. I realize most people don’t go as often as we do so I don’t let it bug me when they goof up a name.

stichrules

OK feel the need to chime in here. Now this is not one of the stupidest things I have heard, but my wife just enjoys this one and in fact we now use it all the time. We are getting off the monorail at MK trying to make the Fireworks and it never fails when you are in hurry there is a group stretched entirely across the way walking at a pace slower than a snail. We this lady in front of us loudly announces, "Some People have no sense of Urgency". So now my wife and use the term NSU's whenever we come across someone going so slow and blocking the way for everyone. We get a chuckle about it everytime.

Goofyernmost

I wasn’t the one with the pet peeve, that’s just what I think that person was referring to and was answering your question. I realize most people don’t go as often as we do so I don’t let it bug me when they goof up a name.

I only responded that way because that was the only thing that I could think of that might be considered incorrect. I never really looked to see whom had posted it to begin with. Maybe there is another reason, I hope!

MattC

OK feel the need to chime in here. Now this is not one of the stupidest things I have heard, but my wife just enjoys this one and in fact we now use it all the time. We are getting off the monorail at MK trying to make the Fireworks and it never fails when you are in hurry there is a group stretched entirely across the way walking at a pace slower than a snail. We this lady in front of us loudly announces, "Some People have no sense of Urgency". So now my wife and use the term NSU's whenever we come across someone going so slow and blocking the way for everyone. We get a chuckle about it everytime.

It's amazing how people who seems to have no where to go and walking with seemingly no purpose can form such a solid wall of people. You wouldn't think they could be so organized.

When standing in line preparing to board Rockin' Roller Coaster I overheard two guys talking about the acceleration of the limos. One fellow asked the other how fast the ride took off...

Guy 1: "Hey, how fast does this thing take off?"

Guy 2: "Like 0 to 85 in 3 seconds."

Guy 1 (thinks for a moment and with a serious look on his face): "Oh...I can do that in my car."

I'd love to see what he drives on his daily commute.

disneykermit321

Ok, I signed up just to leave this one... it's bad. I'm just warning you. And it's completely 100% real.

So we were on the bus back to the hotel and I was sitting behind two cheerleader girls who were there for a National competition. :rolleyes: The one was giving her friend "history" since she hadn't been there before and wasn't a huge fan. The highlights:

1. Walt Disney had one child- a gay son that he disowned named Roy.
2. Walt also created the Looney Tunes which is why the were in Roger Rabbit.
3. Walts's favorite princess... Ariel. It was also his favorite movie.
4. He got started painting on the side of a bar. Not barn... bar.
And finally...
5. He rigged his parents' house to kill them with gas because they abused him. I wanted to punch her in the face for this one. So insensitive!

PUSH

Ive been reading these forums for over a year now, but I just had to make an account for this.

My pet peeves are when people call it Mount Everest instead of Expedition Everest, and Fast Track instead of Test Track. Also, when people say "Im so happy they made a ride based on the movie Pirates of the Caribbeans/Haunted Mansion." I also heard someone refer to Magic Kingdom as "Fantasyland."

I just keep my mouth shut and keep walking. :)

Jane Whalebones

1. WOW, I bet there is a cool coaster inside that huge golfball...apparently a first visit!:oops:
2. I would rather park at the Magic Kingdom than ride the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.o_O
3. The Haunted Mansion is sooooo scary at Halloween.:confused:

rufio

A coworker was telling me about one of her Disney trips (she's apparently a huge fan) and I was wondering whether SpectroMagic or the MS Electrical Parade had been going on at the time. She responded that it was OBVIOUSLY the Electrical Parade because there were a lot of lights. :rolleyes:

luv

I probably sound stupid right now, but whats wrong with cinderellas castle?
There isn't really anything wrong with it or saying "Fast Track" instead of TT or Calling WDW "the happiest place on Earth." They're just things people commonly say that aren't, technically, in Disney Geekdom, correct.

I said I do immediate mental corrections. Not because I'm annoyed, but because I hear that stuff so often that it translates in my head to the actual thing. Kind of like when you hear somebody say, "Guess what I seen today?" You know immediately that they saw something. If someone says they were "nauseous", you know they meant "nauseated." You may or may not notice that they got it wrong, but either way, you know what they MEAN and don't dwell on it. And that is how I am with little stuff people frequently get wrong. I barely notice it. Doesn't bug me. Immediate mental correction. :)

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with it. Quite the opposite. Sorry if it came off that way.

...but if you were wondering about "Cinderella's Castle", the pp got it right. The "correct" term, technically, in Disney Geekdom, is "Cinderella Castle." The castle does not belong to Cinderella; it was named after her. So, technically, the possessive is "incorrect."

Like a pp said, not knowing much about Disney doesn't make people dumb. Disney just isn't their thing. Some people memorize sports stats or go bird watching. Some know a ton about history or art or how to fix/restore classic cars. Some are movie buffs or tecnology peeps. Disney is one small subject in a great big world full of them. Nobody can know about everything. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
^^^
Well said, luv! We, who are "in the know", can notice these little things without belittling those who err. ;)

FaerieLuna

Overhead a woman tell her children that Haunted Mansion used to be on the other side of the park and it was moved about 20 years ago.

Mine is similar to this. My husband and I almost burst out laughing the day we heard a woman on the resort bus emphatically tell her party that Pirates used to be across the park, but was moved.

DisneyJunkie

I think it's overhearing people talking to each other about WDW things and getting it wrong (when they clearly try and sound like they know what they're talking about) that's pretty funny.

For example, one time while taking the boat from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom, I overheard two guys behind me talking about it, and one told the other that the boats (or ferries, if you prefer) rode on tracks at the bottom of Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoo when going back and forth between the park and the resorts. Not quite, sir.....not quite at all.

afar28

This one really makes me mad. One of my friends said it and I heard multiple people at the parks say this. Probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Let's go to the Harry Potter theme park in Magic Kingdom!
2 things wrong with this:
1. Wizarding world of Harrt Potter in Disney???? What?
2. You know what grinds my gears? People referring to WDW as Magic Kingdom :mad:
Also, when I was watching the beauty in the beast show at DHS, the family behind us calle it the Cinderella show...

dduck174

My fave was when I heard a guy in the line for Splash Mountain tell the other people in his group, "This ride is awesome! There's the big drop we saw outside and it goes upside down!" I hoped he was kidding, but I really doubt it, from his expression.

uh...to be honest it is one of my favorite things to do when I know people haven't been on the ride to say almost that exactly...I think its funny to see how people react, it's just a goof man..

I'm surprised no one has mentioned my personal favorite that even my father told me (and I secretly hope there is some truth to it) That Walt was cryogenicly frozen until modern science can cure him, and that his cryogenic tomb is in one of the upper rooms of the castle. Sounds insane but Walt did invest in a cryogenic's company...so like I said i wish though I know it not to be true...just hear others say it as well.

EOD K9

I was asked this in line for the TTC tram...."Which tram line takes us to Epcot? This was well before the Heroes and Villians re-do.

PUSH

Another thing, there were these two women in front of my dad and I on Splash Mountain and the first time we went up they turned around and asked if it was the big drop. And Im thinking, we just came around the front of the big drop, do you think we would be there yet? Throughout the entire ride they would ask us if this was it. But when we finally got there they didnt ask. Wonder why... :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom