Weird opinion about Disney and Universal

ColoradoDWFan

Original Poster
I am almost ashamed to think this. After being a hardcore Disney World fan for 8+ years with yearly visits from Colorado, I finally spent a day at Universal. After a full day of visiting both Uni and IOA, I left the property with a weird feeling. I liked the parks more than Disney.

Now, most of this can be attributed to both parks being new to me and the feeling of adventure you get from that. Still, it was a weird feeling.

Just a few thoughts.....

s8film40

I have had the same experience lately. I think it's a big shift on both sides. Universal is really stepping up their game. Every time I go into a Disney park more often then not there is just something that really irritates me, I go to MK and Tomorrowland at least for me now is a total waste. SGE MILF are just irritating reminders of the much better things that used to be there. Space mountain is OK but very dated Buzz lightyear is OK but nothing special and really doesn't come close to comparing to MIB. Epcot is a huge disaster, there are a few good rides and WS is fun but for the most part going to that park makes me hate Disney for what they did to it slowly over the years. Walk into Hollywood Studios and you are immediately greeted with the hat as a big giant reminder that no this isn't the Disney MGM studios park that used to be great. There are a few great things to do at each of the parks and I can enjoy those but as a whole the Disney park's have just really lost the feel and the things that made them special. It seems more and more like WDW is just an empty shell of what it once was.

Atomicmickey

I'm just guessing it was the newness of it all. I mean, you had a full day of all new sensory theme park goodness!

I've been to Universal a few times and have had a great time there, but I just can't put my finger on what doesn't quite work for it, for me.

I suspect there is nostalgia, pixie dust, and all sorts of unquantifiable things.

That having been said--maybe, over the years, you really will come to enjoy Universal more. Who can say?

I looked around the web for Universal Studios fan sites, and there seems to only be a small blip of people really rabid for those parks in a devoted fan-boy type of way, but it could be growing with Harry Potter.

In any event, hey, you had some great theme park days, so it's a win-win, because WDW is still there for ya!

Interesting observations, though, thanks.

lightning509s

My family and I feel the same way. We're locals so we get to "comparison shop" all the time and WDW has lost it's edge. For the foreseeable future we'll be enjoying the offerings of UNI - IOA, Seaworld and Busch Gardens.

We've enjoyed all the Holiday offerings this year and, hands down, Disney is a huge flop compared to their rivals. EPCOT is absolutely atrocious with it's holiday offerings. Seaworld comes in first place with Universal and IOA coming in a very close second with the Wholiday celebration and Macy's Christmas. Going to Busch Gardens tomorrow.:xmas:

Magic Kingdom was good. Disneys Hollywood Studios was good as well, but not like in previous years. Animal Kingdom is terrible and as I said, EPCOT (hands down) fell flat on it's face compared to previous visits.

WAKE UP WDW!!! I believe more and more of your clientele are starting to feel the same way!:brick:

ptaylor

Premium Member
My family and I feel the same way. We're locals so we get to "comparison shop" all the time and WDW has lost it's edge. For the foreseeable future we'll be enjoying the offerings of UNI - IOA, Seaworld and Busch Gardens.

We've enjoyed all the Holiday offerings this year and, hands down, Disney is a huge flop compared to their rivals. EPCOT is absolutely atrocious with it's holiday offerings. Seaworld comes in first place with Universal and IOA coming in a very close second with the Wholiday celebration and Macy's Christmas. Going to Busch Gardens tomorrow.:xmas:

Wow you really think that? I'm not arguing with you, just interested to see why you think that.

Universal just has the Macys parade, which is not even close to a Disney parade quality, and the Grinchmass Show. Thats it.

Disney has Osborne Lights, Holiday Wishes, Christmastime Parade, Candlelight Processional, Jammin Jingle Parade, Peace on Earth Illuminations, Holiday Storytellers, and considerably more decorations.

I'm as mad as anyone about the cutbacks, but even with what is left, it is still so far ahead of what Universal offer.

Alektronic

Magic Kingdom was good. Disneys Hollywood Studios was good as well, but not like in previous years. Animal Kingdom is terrible and as I said, EPCOT (hands down) fell flat on it's face compared to previous visits.

WAKE UP WDW!!! I believe more and more of your clientele are starting to feel the same way!:brick:

I totally agree, I'm a local also and check out all the parks for the holidays. Sea World definitely offered the most new holiday offerings, Sea Of Trees, (Disney could have done the same thing with Lights of Winter, but chose not to) They had ice skating shows, holiday animal shows, and even fountain and firework shows and stayed open later than Disney and Universal.

lightning509s

I totally agree, I'm a local also and check out all the parks for the holidays. Sea World definitely offered the most new holiday offerings, Sea Of Trees, (Disney could have done the same thing with Lights of Winter, but chose not to) They had ice skating shows, holiday animal shows, and even fountain and firework shows and stayed open later than Disney and Universal.

You forgot the best part...You DON'T have to pay extra for all of the offerings!!!

Eat that DISNEY!!!!

EvanAnderson

I am almost ashamed to think this. After being a hardcore Disney World fan for 8+ years with yearly visits from Colorado, I finally spent a day at Universal. After a full day of visiting both Uni and IOA, I left the property with a weird feeling. I liked the parks more than Disney.

Now, most of this can be attributed to both parks being new to me and the feeling of adventure you get from that. Still, it was a weird feeling.

Just a few thoughts.....
No, don't be ashamed of it! I hate how much of a bully Disney is for brainwashing all of it's guests. "there's a Harry potter attraction down the street, but it's not good because it was built by the yucky Universal people. Stay with us! Ride our rides! Go ride Nemo and friends! Your children love that movie, right!" ::guest march in unison:: MUST. VISIT. NEMO. EVERYTHING. ELSE. IS. NOT. GOOD. ::Disney bathes in people's money::

I know it's an exxageration, but that's EXACTLY what Disney hopes will happen. Seaworld is a great park, Universal and IOA are great parks. I'm guessing now that Legoland will be opening next year, kids will want to visit it who are at Disney, and the parents will think "it's not Disney, therefore it will suck."

One of favorite restaurants is Olive Garden, and that has NOTHING to do with Disney. It's not terrible. I love it! It actually probably has better food than offered anywhere at Disney.

Okay, point is, go enjoy the other attractions. It doesn't matter if they're Disney attractions or not. If you enjoyed them, great! It's your money, your vacation, see what you want to see. Don't let the feeling of "omg I'm being unfaithful" stop you from going, because it's kind of ridiculous.

WDW 3

You know, I've never heard a Disney commercial dis Universal but certainly have heard Universal flat out dis WDW...
Not quite sure where you feel Disney is a bully?

They are all great parks with unique items for each. Enjoy them all without any of them.

captainkidd

I can see liking Universal or IOA better than DHS. The rides are better and theming is wonderful. I can't imagine ever comparing those parks with Epcot or Magic Kingdom.

captainkidd

No, don't be ashamed of it! I hate how much of a bully Disney is for brainwashing all of it's guests. "there's a Harry potter attraction down the street, but it's not good because it was built by the yucky Universal people. Stay with us! Ride our rides! Go ride Nemo and friends! Your children love that movie, right!" ::guest march in unison:: MUST. VISIT. NEMO. EVERYTHING. ELSE. IS. NOT. GOOD. ::Disney bathes in people's money::

I know it's an exxageration, but that's EXACTLY what Disney hopes will happen. Seaworld is a great park, Universal and IOA are great parks. I'm guessing now that Legoland will be opening next year, kids will want to visit it who are at Disney, and the parents will think "it's not Disney, therefore it will suck."

One of favorite restaurants is Olive Garden, and that has NOTHING to do with Disney. It's not terrible. I love it! It actually probably has better food than offered anywhere at Disney.

Okay, point is, go enjoy the other attractions. It doesn't matter if they're Disney attractions or not. If you enjoyed them, great! It's your money, your vacation, see what you want to see. Don't let the feeling of "omg I'm being unfaithful" stop you from going, because it's kind of ridiculous.

If anything, it's the opposite. Try wearing a Disney shirt at Universal. You'll always get made fun of. Vice versa, and the CM's won't say a word to you.

loveofamouse

I like them both but for different reasons. As an adult, for fun rides, UA/IOA has it. Disney has the "magic", though. Although this is slowly sliding down hill, Disney's CMs are better than US/IOA employees. We had a truly HORRIBLE exp with US/IOA in 2009, and, although they did make steps to make it right for my family, it was just putting a bandaid on the wound.

I will admit, though, I am looking forward to including US/IOA in our trip this summer. I want to see HP although I'm not an HP fan. lol

devoy1701

if Olive Garden is one of your favorite restaurants and is better than anything you've had at Disney...you obviously have been eating at the wrong restaurants if at all, and I don't think I could ever value your opinion...ever...

Olive Garden is a good restaurant...but oooooh there are sooooo many better places...any anything signature and even a few regular TS restaurants at the parks serve much better food.

EvanAnderson

Just they way they do business. DHS was built after Eisney knew about Universal Studios stepping in, so he built it quick, opened it first with 2 rides and some shows. Animal Kingdom was built when Eisner found out about IOA, and opened it first with a couple rides and a lot of shows. It was also used to keep people from going to Busch Gardens to see animals. They added magic express which keeps people on their property, making it very hard to go elsewhere. They were also stubborn about the light rail. They said they wouldn't fund it if it didn't make a stop at Disney. I think the final decision is that it will make a stop at Disney, as well as Downtown, Convention Center, IDrive and the Airport, which I'm sure Disney hates that it goes anywhere else besides the airport and their property.

They just seem greedy. I know, I know. It's a business, but it's like the see themselves better than anyone else. I fully believe that it is the dream of the CEO to make all the other Orlando parks go out of business and just have WDW be the king of central Florida. I also read about a night kingdom? Isn't that supposed to steal guests from Discovery Cove or something?

EvanAnderson

if Olive Garden is one of your favorite restaurants and is better than anything you've had at Disney...you obviously have been eating at the wrong restaurants if at all, and I don't think I could ever value your opinion...ever...

Olive Garden is a good restaurant...but oooooh there are sooooo many better places...any anything signature and even a few regular TS restaurants at the parks serve much better food.
Wow. You're nice. Maybe I made a mistake then. Do you make mistakes? Obviously not. How does it feel to have made NO mistakes? I like how you categorize me. I'm actually really good at playing drums and have been playing for 15 years, but no. Since you won't value my opinion, EVER, you probably won't take my word for it.

Hey mods, go ahead and delete my account. I'm sick of dealing with people like this. I'd rather read, than post my ideas, where my opinions are shot down from the Disney Army seconds after leaving my mouth.

devoy1701

Wow. You're nice. Maybe I made a mistake then. Do you make mistakes? Obviously not. How does it feel to have made NO mistakes? I like how you categorize me. I'm actually really good at playing drums and have been playing for 15 years, but no. Since you won't value my opinion, EVER, you probably won't take my word for it.

Hey mods, go ahead and delete my account. I'm sick of dealing with people like this. I'd rather read, than post my ideas, where my opinions are shot down from the Disney Army seconds after leaving my mouth.

Hey you said it pal:

Funny when a person come on a Disney site and then makes a posts bashing everything Disney does, and then wonders why the "disney army" comes to arms. You shouldn't make such a general statement if you don't mean it, or don't want it commented on.

btw, i think someone should make us some WDWmagic/Disney Army t-shirts... :drevil:

T-1MILLION

Hey you said it pal:

Funny when a person come on a Disney site and then makes a posts bashing everything Disney does, and then wonders why the "disney army" comes to arms. You shouldn't make such a general statement if you don't mean it, or don't want it commented on.

btw, i think someone should make us some WDWmagic/Disney Army t-shirts... :drevil:

Some people make no sense. Especially if you compare it to the price, I would say their are many locations at are not surpassed by places like Olive Gardens. Disney has great resturants, but you are gonna pay more than double often of what you would pay other places...it really does not matter. Mythos surpasses most of them (not for me per se) but from most theme park critics and travel websites.

To the original poster. I have always loved both WDW and Universal, but I can't lie and say both companies don't have their faults. I really don't like some moves Universal has made such as closing the Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show for a bad show that is already closed and then building a rollercoaster with really no theming but some onboard music...but besides that Universal has stepped up their game for 21st Century Dark Rides and just top knotch theming.

Disney is still really good but they rest on their laurels too much. Hence the lower merch sales and flat lining attendance.

They also treat their fans better at Universal. My AP gets me a discount at any sit down resturant and walk in store on property. That includes the onsite hotels and City Walk locations. The only place the AP is no good is quick outdoor vendors.

At Disney I was really dissapointed that no discounts could happen at any of the All Star food locations on my most recent trip with my first AP in years.

thelookingglass

You know, I've never heard a Disney commercial dis Universal but certainly have heard Universal flat out dis WDW...
While I hated those commercials too, Universal has thankfully stopped doing them and changed their marketing.

Sometimes, I can't help but compare the "Disney Army" fans to the old, classic Simpsons episode 'Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy'. Lisa attempts to create a doll that is a better role model for girls than Malibu Stacy (the Barbie of The Simpsons world), but in the end, she is unable to sway the rabid fanbase away from Malibu Stacy because all they had to do was put a new hat on the same old doll. Disney is Malibu Stacy.

"But... Disney has .... Magic... must pay $60 dollars for hard ticket event for more Magic......."

(ps: I highly recommend watching that episode if you never have. Its from back when The Simpsons was incredibly well-written and made bold statements, unlike the mediocre mess it is today)
If anything, it's the opposite. Try wearing a Disney shirt at Universal. You'll always get made fun of. Vice versa, and the CM's won't say a word to you.
Pfft. I've gotten and seen plenty of flack at Disney for wearing Universal shirts.

Its not like either company tells their CMs/TMs to say these things. The individuals probably do it hoping to get a laugh out of you, not realizing its tiresome and played out.

Its completely fine that people want to defend Disney. Theres a fine line, however, between "defending Disney" and "defending mediocrity."

devoy1701

Some people make no sense. Especially if you compare it to the price, I would say their are many locations at are not surpassed by places like Olive Gardens. Disney has great resturants, but you are gonna pay more than double often of what you would pay other places...it really does not matter. Mythos surpasses most of them (not for me per se) but from most theme park critics and travel websites.

To the original poster. I have always loved both WDW and Universal, but I can't lie and say both companies don't have their faults. I really don't like some moves Universal has made such as closing the Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show for a bad show that is already closed and then building a rollercoaster with really no theming but some onboard music...but besides that Universal has stepped up their game for 21st Century Dark Rides and just top knotch theming.

Disney is still really good but they rest on their laurels too much. Hence the lower merch sales and flat lining attendance.

They also treat their fans better at Universal. My AP gets me a discount at any sit down resturant and walk in store on property. That includes the onsite hotels and City Walk locations. The only place the AP is no good is quick outdoor vendors.

At Disney I was really dissapointed that no discounts could happen at any of the All Star food locations on my most recent trip with my first AP in years.

Yes, Olive Garden has better food than some of the TS restaurants, and for price vs. food quality again, Olive Garden would probably win out among several of the TS restaurants. But to say Olive Garden probably has better food that offered anyway at Disney is crazy when you think about California Grille, Le Cellier, Victoria and Alberts, etc. Even to say Olive Garden is better than other non-Disney chain (or non-chain restaurants) is pretty crazy.

I'll roll with the punches when it comes to bashing Disney and it's clear with my past posts than I'm not exactly happy with the way TDO has operated in the past...but sometimes these "Disney Hater" posts are completely off base and over exaggerated, and I can't believe I'm being classified as being part of the "disney army" because I said there are better restaurants on Disney property than Olive Garden... :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom