Week After Thanksgiving at WDW 2010

Xfiles1978

My wife and I are thinking about going back to WDW this year with our 2 year old DD. We have been down to the world many times but haven't been there during Christmas time when everything is decorated. We are thinking about going the week after Thanksgiving (Monday 11/29 - Monday 12/6) this year. I'm concerned about what the crowds, weather, and if any major events would be going on during that time. Heard something about Pop Warner and Mousefest Events possibly during this time as well. Has anyone gone during this time of year? Is it worth going do during this time? Appreciate any info and feedback on this time in the world.

lumpydj

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be crazy at MK that week. That's when they typically tape the footage for the Christmas parade. Otherwise, I hear it's a slow time of year. PW usually don't arrive until your last weekend there. The Cheerleaders will be there for the parade tapings. Also, the MVMCP will be going on certain nights. IMHO, I think it's a great time to go - if you like Christmas. We'll be there from 12/4 - 12/11!

Upvote 0

skeeder

It is definitely the best time to be at WDW. The weather is usually nice. In 2006 we hit a cold snap and it was COLD (jackets, pants, scarves). In 2007 it was actually warm and we were sweating (short sleeve shirts, shorts). In 2008 it was warm in the day (but not like 2007) and cool at night (but not like 2006). All the decorations are up. There is so much to do during that time of year. My only complaint is that there is a lot of people there. We were not expecting a lot of people from what we had been told but we have been 3 times during the holidays and every time it is crowded. 2006, 2008 we went the week after Thanksgiving. 2007 we went only for a couple of days 2 weeks before Christmas.

Be sure to check out The Gingerbread House at The Grand Floridian, The Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (DHS), The Castle Lights, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (MK), Candlelight Processional (Epcot), Holidays around the World (Epcot), The decorations at all WDW Resorts.

If you use Disney's Photopass be sure to check out AKL, WL, GF, and The Poly. At these resorts they have a special area set up to get a photopass pic.

They also have a photopass photographer stationed in front of Beach Club.

Have fun. It is truly the best time of year to be at WDW. Christmas was not the same for us not going to WDW Christmas 2009.

Upvote 0

xtina72

We have been going for years at this time and have always loved it.....we are rethinking going at a different time this year because of the taping of the Xmas parade AND the cheerleader conventions aka Pop warner. STAY AWAY FROM BOTH OF THOSE THINGS!

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be crazy at MK that week. That's when they typically tape the footage for the Christmas parade. Otherwise, I hear it's a slow time of year. PW usually don't arrive until your last weekend there. The Cheerleaders will be there for the parade tapings. Also, the MVMCP will be going on certain nights. IMHO, I think it's a great time to go - if you like Christmas. We'll be there from 12/4 - 12/11!

We are also planning a trip for the very same week that you are going, the 4th thru the 12th. I have gone crazy trying to pick the very best week and although PW will be there I have read that they really have little to no effect of the parks, unlike the crowds the week of Thanksgiving. I am getting so excited about being there for Christmas. :xmas:

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Been going first week of December for about 10 years now. Smallest crowds (except weekends when more locals come out) and certainly the best time in terms of park ambiance. I've done the Halloween, F&W, and F&G shows. they are all great, too. But Xmas time of the year is the best because EVERYTHING is decorated and the fireworks/parades are extra special.

The Pop Warner crowd is mostly at the values and becuase of incidents over the years, I won't stay at Pop Century anymore this time of the year. I've heard that it may be better since Disney cracked down on it, but after several years of out of control kids and parents too busy getting drunk each night, I gave Pop up and stay at Moderates or higher.

the weekends are about the only time you really run into any crowds. And by crowds, I mean about 1/4 of what you would see at other parts of the year! But a word of advice, the Xmas party at MK is 100 times better to do on a weeknight rather than a weekend when the locals can cause a sell out of the event. We normally do a Tuesday or a Thrusday night for it and its soooo much more manageable. Still crowded for these events, but not "waste of money" crowded. ;)

Just waiting to see if there are any discounts coming out for that time of year and then will be booking mine. Last year, I ended up with a PIN and free dining! Doubt any of us will be that lucky this year, but one can hope.

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

The Friday and Saturday mornings are about the only real issue and its only right there on Main Street at MK. Once you get past that, its not bad at all with quick wait times on most things. We normally just don't go to MK on these days or just go early and hop to another park once the parade tapings start.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Went December 1-8 in 2008, and crowds were negligble. The weather was a bit chilly that year, but other than that, a great time to go!

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think PW kids stay at POP. have seen them at All Stars, POR, and CB.

They most certainly do. I had a preferred room the last time I stayed there and it was a WASTE of money. Between the kids and adults packed around the pool yelling and screaming in the wee hours or the cheerleaders all out in the couryards at 7AM practicing their cheers, it was awful. That was it for me and I said never again.

I've heard that its gotten better and WDW has cracked down it after the big fight a few years ago, but I don't want to find out. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom