WED's Wonderful Kingdom

willtravel

I have often wondered what the original Imagineers who built WDW would think of the changes in WDW now and the changes coming in the future for all the WDW parks?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I took a bunch of random pictures last week of things that other guests may not find interesting, but I think help to make MK what it is. I'm going to start posting them on the weekend.

One thing I couldn't get a good picture of, but wanted to mention specifically was the Peter Pan load/unload mural. A WED original and still standing today. Toad and Snow White had marvelous looking load areas (Tokyo still has the original Snow White one!), but we're lucky to still have Pan. I even love the painted tree flats in front and the kinetics of the boats going by...

1634177632096.png

1634177719166.png

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
IMG_2116.JPG

Snapped this picture at just the right time.

These Tiki Room windows were a wonderful addition to the show in 1971.

I never noticed before, but the light effect on the "water" changes color to match the sky above. Blue or red when the volcano is erupting. I counted 5 different effects in this one little tableau! Keep in mind they're 4 identical windows like this total.

- rolling clouds
- glowing ripples on water
- erupting volcano
- rain water
- lighting flash

Pretty impressive for such a minor scene. A true "Disney difference".

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
IMG_2142.JPG

They're still advertising Aunt Polly's?

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

Tom Sawyer Island is a masterpiece. It still captivates kids (and adults!), even if they've never read the book(s) it's based on.

When walking through the caves, this kid comes up to me and says "I thought you were a ghost!" 😅

Sadly the northern half of the island, and the barrel bridge, were closed during my visit.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? ;)

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

When I was touring the treehouse I heard one child exclaim "people lived here?!" he almost believed it!

Like TSI, this attraction still engages children who have never read the book or seen the movie.

The appeal of a massive tropical treehouse in WDW has never diminished. Good design is timeless.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I didn't take any pictures of it, but I want to comment on the Florida Pirates. I went on the Disneyland version 4x in September and the WDW ride twice this month.

First, the staging and pacing of the town segment is absolutely better in Florida. It's easier to "read" the action of the scenes and there's more time to absorb each tableaux after going through them.

Also, Hurricane Cove in the caverns is better too. You get much closer to it in Florida and the way it builds up tension before the drop is genius. That and the drop being in total darkness makes it feel much more intense than it is. In other versions of the ride, Hurricane Cove is just a set piece that while looking neat doesn't really say much. In Paris it comes after the 2nd drop where the crash of the boats hitting the bottom of the flume leads to the sounds of the hurricane in the distance. It's good, but not as effective as having it happen before.

celluloid

The second episode of The Imagineering Story takes a good back-handed swipe at Magic Kingdom for "playing it safe, at least creatively".

Most of the discussion of Magic Kingdom's merits revolves around the engineering hurdle of turning virgin swamp land into a functioning city and the utilitdors and such, which is significant, but I feel like the creative flourishes and added details get ignored because the park is usually written off as just another Disneyland, even within the company.

The Magic Kingdom was designed by WED's A-team with all the knowledge and skills that had been developed through 10+ years of operation in California and the World's Fair. The goal was to take the premise of "another amusement park in Florida" and make it better, not just in terms of operations, but visually as well. And by 1970s standards, they succeeded beautifully (even if Rolly Crump doesn't agree).

The Magic Kingdom was a great park. It still deserves to be treated as such. This is why I get so grumpy over what I feel has been the mistreatment and indifference towards it by both Disney and its fans. It was never just about characters, stroller parking or rides for little kids, it was about creating a romantic dreamscape on a larger, more beautiful scale than Disneyland could ever be.

The experiences should be for a wide audience, the effects should work, the queues should be clean, the technology should be updated, new additions should truly add, not take away from the land's designs, the restaurants should serve decent food, the entertainment should be as varied as the attractions, the shops should sell more than just junk. I like to think it's the most popular Disney park because there is something of merit inside. Maybe if the company stopped treating it like a tourist trap, so would the customers and employees.

I know this is a bump of your old post, but tempted to frame this. Well said.

What a great thread that shows just how much Magic Kingdom quality is shining through.

Quality will out.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Such a gem of thread. Reread it all. Thanks Animaniac and keep it coming! Your love and understanding of the MK is palpable.

Credit in part should go to people like Mike Lee and Foxx Nolte who helped me to appreciate MK better. Years of reading books and blogs has further shaped my love for it (or least the good stuff that's still there).

It's also why Tokyo Disneyland is my favorite castle park. Imagine if MK had better show quality, entertainment, food and customer service (and at a lower price!).

But it was good to go back to Florida and see the place with eager eyes.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
IMG_2397.JPG

When was this sign added? I don't remember seeing it before.

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

The highest compliment I can give to Liberty Square is that it feels much older than the rest of the park. Liberty Tree Tavern in particular, with its creaky wooden floors and furniture, narrow staircases and warped glass windows does indeed feel like an 18th century inn. It would never be built like that today for a number of reasons, but that's even more of an excuse to go inside and have some ooey gooey toffee cake.

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

For once I got lucky and heard the whole opening narration from start to finish!

celluloid

Great points on Liberty Square. The land was designed as if Liberty Square was as specific as Colonial Williamsburg and only as romanticized at the time as it needed to be and luckily, perhaps because of its size much of that charm still exists where as Mainstreet seems to waver more. I know some things for sure have changed but as a whole, I think it was done so well, that is what made Disney's America Park concept redundant more than anything else, the love letter of Liberty Square covered the large parts of that and more.

Your notes on Tokyo gives me confidence that saving for Tokyo is still the right thing for me. I want to visit and feel the full MK spark I used to feel in the Disney Decade of the 90s.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I was just thinking about the tents in Fantasyland.

When you walk through the castle, what's the first thing you see? The Carousel. A ride under a large canopy. This is the visual clue for guests entering the land. If they see a brightly colored tent, or canopy, it means there's an attraction inside.

The other buildings in the land are in darker and/or softer colours. Browns, beige, white, grey and muddy reds. These signify the non-attractions such as shopping, dining and restrooms.

Tom Morris said in a podcast that in the MK's early days the Skyway would have a huge line, but other rides would not. That's because you could see the Skyway overhead and know its there. Long before the internet, when WDW was brand new, people may not have known where to find things in the parks. Maps were offered, but you can't assume people will take them. WED had to invent another way to guide people's attention.

Disneyland's Fantasyland had tent exteriors for the rides for budget reasons, but did not have elaborate buildings like WDW's Fantasyland West did on opening day prior to 1983. WED could have made all the buildings just as detailed, but I think they decided not too, and not just because of cost.

The tents let you see past the queues and into the load areas for Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr Toad and Small World. The kinetics draw your eye to what's inside, and give the land more life than an ordinary flat exterior would. They bring a consistent design logic to an area who's rides have many different tones and stylistic approaches. They also come from a long tradition of fairs and circuses which would have been familiar to anyone visiting WDW. The Magic Kingdom is cleaner and softer in its hard sell (remember, these were rides you had to pay for), but knows people expect a show under the big top(s).

Of course we're used to the quality of various "new" Fantasylands now, but the old one in Florida still works in its own way.

Club Cooloholic

Something that popped into my head while thinking about the Florida Space Mountain...

In a way, it's kind of like an EPCOT pavilion. It has that kind of scale to it, despite just being a "roller coaster", and when RCA sponsored it, there was a real post-show with AAs that was kind of like an attraction of its own. There's also those long hallways, the moving ramp at the end and the way the seperate unload area feels like a lounge or pre-show room on its own. It's still unique in that way. The 1975 and 1983 versions also had a consistent score to them, with '83 having the very EPCOT-like theme song "We've Come So Far".

The California mountain in comparison feels so much smaller, not just because it literally is (and sunk into the ground...and bordered on most sides by other buildings), but because everything from the tighter indoor queue to breaking the chainlift into thirds (and having it seperated from the rest of the track) makes the overall experience a lesser one. There it's just another ride. It's not a defining part of the park's identity or landscape in the way you see it from the monorail or Contemporary parking lot at WDW.

Space [Discovery] Mountain in Paris is way more intense as a coaster, and beautiful in its own way, but I think Florida still has the best designed version of the ride to date. Too bad it's the worst maintained.
You are absolutely right, it used to be waiting in line to ride and the walk out when finished were an experience in themselves.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
With MK once again decorated for the holidays, I was wondering, does the Swiss Family Treehouse still get its minor Christmas overlay? The video and pictures I found online are of the Tokyo Disneyland version. Here's the seasonal organ loop used (with some ambient noise mixed in by the uploader):

I always thought this was a nice touch, especially since in the movie there's the scene at Christmas when the two older sons return home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom