Wedding Dinner At Disney - Need Advice -

DisGal

Original Poster
Hi all :wave:- Being a huge Disney fan (have visited every year since I was 4)I was so excited when I stumbled on this site last year. Since then I basically lurk (totally addicted to reading the threads) and hardly post. I've decided to take the step and post becasue I need your opinions.

This November I'll be getting married at Sunset Point at the Polynesian. We are doing an escape wedding, which are small and simple. This package requires us to book dinner reservations on our own after the ceremony. Since we are going for a casual and relaxed feel we are really interested in having our dinner at 'Ohana. My fiance and I love eating there, but I'm a little nervous it will be too casual, too crowded, and much too loud. Also, there will be a total of 17 at dinner - I was told they can accomodate that size, but nervous because of the size we won't be seated in an ideal location or they'll stick us in the center of the restaurant. So my question is do you think this is a good idea? Should we consider another restaurant?

I look forward to hear your responses!

Thanks

jen2009

Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding! :sohappy:

We had an Escape wedding in March. It was fabulous. Kathleen was the best wedding planner ever!! We had our wedding at the wedding pavillion and the cake cutting at the Grand Floridian. We had 21 people for our wedding. Two of the guests were under 3 so she did not really count them. We had our reception at Ohana's and it was a blast!! We wanted somewhere that everyone could be comfortable and have fun. I changed out of my dress and into normal clothes to enjoy dinner. Everyone was able to eat as much as they wanted and it was really affordable. We paid less then $450 for everybody, including tip. I would highly recommend it. If they know its your wedding they go out of the way to make sure everyone knows in the restaurant you just got married. The lady there who does the entertainment will pull you up to help do things. It was so much fun and the food was excellent! As for the seating issue, we sat somewhat in the middle of the room. That was the only area that could accomodate 20 people. We made our reservation for 5pm to ensure we would all sit together. If you let your wedding planner know, they will arrange it for you. Kathleen was able to arrange all of our big reservations including Ohana's. We had a family breakfast the day before at Chef Mickey's and she arranged the reservation so that it would best fit our party size. If you have any questions just ask your planner. That is what they are there for. I must have emailed my planner atleast 100+ times for all kinds of things.

If you have any questions just ask. :)

DisGal

Original Poster
Thanks!

You definitely made me feel good about choosing 'Ohanas. We also want to eat at 5pm to ensure we can sit together. We don't want to cut the cake until after dinner. Do you think they will allow us to have it somewhere else after 'Ohanas?

nolatron

We also had the "intimate" wedding at Sunset pointe with dinner at the Luau back in 2006. We only had 7 guests, but it was a great time and good food.... and then it started to rain mid-show, heh.

But I think you and your guests will have a great time at O'hana. The food is soooooo yummy. I don't think it's that loud either compared to some other restaurants. Until the kids start doing hula-hoop contests, hah.

nolatron

Thanks!

You definitely made me feel good about choosing 'Ohanas. We also want to eat at 5pm to ensure we can sit together. We don't want to cut the cake until after dinner. Do you think they will allow us to have it somewhere else after 'Ohanas?

I believe you have the option to simply take your cake with you to cut/eat someplace else on your own after the ceremony. We opted to cut and have cake at sunset pointe, but then had the rest sent to the Boardwalk for us to munch on throughout the trip in our room.

You'd probably have to bring the cake yourself to O'Hanas if you want to have it there, or maybe just save it for cutting in a resort room after dinner.

jen2009

I believe you have the option to simply take your cake with you to cut/eat someplace else on your own after the ceremony. We opted to cut and have cake at sunset pointe, but then had the rest sent to the Boardwalk for us to munch on throughout the trip in our room.

You'd probably have to bring the cake yourself to O'Hanas if you want to have it there, or maybe just save it for cutting in a resort room after dinner.

This is correct. You have to be carefully because some places may charge a few if you want them to cut it. I would suggest bringing it with you and have them bring out extra plates and you cut it yourself. :)

The cake is a lot bigger than it seems. Most of our guests had 2 pieces and we never even touched the top and still had leftovers. They will box it and you can take it with you. Only the top portion fit in our fridge at Port Orleans French Quarter, leaving little room for anything else.

DisGal

Original Poster
Do you think we should just have the cake cutting after the ceremony as they suggest? My only concern is I'm just not sure if I or the guests want to have cake right before dinner.

nolatron

The cake is a lot bigger than it seems. Most of our guests had 2 pieces and we never even touched the top and still had leftovers. They will box it and you can take it with you. Only the top portion fit in our fridge at Port Orleans French Quarter, leaving little room for anything else.

Yeah, it's a decent sized cake. We stated in a DVC villa so we had a full fridge for the cake. We sent the top home with my brother (who drove from New Orleans) to bring to my mom who couldn't make it to WDW. I think she even has it in a freezer still!

The bottom half stayed with us, and even we couldn't finish it over the a couple days.

Pics of our cake for a size idea.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Maybe you can just do the traditional "cake cutting" after the ceremony for the bridge/groom to share, pictures, toasts, etc..., but then wait until after dinner to cut the rest and serve to guests if they'd rather that.

Also forgot to mention our wedding was at 1pm, dinner was at 6 or 7pm. So having a little cake after the ceremony didn't really spoil anyone's appetite for dinner. So the time of the ceremony could also be a factor to consider. Do you have a early or late ceremony?

MouseRight

If you want something quieter and fancier, than I suggest Narcoosee's. Particularly if you can get seats on the windows. Each table at the window seats 6 so you will need three in a row. Should work. Schedule it to be there during teh firworks. You go out on the porch and watch teh fireworks with the soundtrack playing overhead during dinner. Probbaly more epensive than O'Hana because you order from the regualr menu which can get pricey. I think the atmosphere is perfect for a small wedding. Should be able to get some great pictures around teh GRand Floridian.

jen2009

Yeah, it's a decent sized cake. We stated in a DVC villa so we had a full fridge for the cake. We sent the top home with my brother (who drove from New Orleans) to bring to my mom who couldn't make it to WDW. I think she even has it in a freezer still!

The bottom half stayed with us, and even we couldn't finish it over the a couple days.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Maybe you can just do the traditional "cake cutting" after the ceremony for the bridge/groom to share, pictures, toasts, etc..., but then wait until after dinner to cut the rest and serve to guests if they'd rather that.

Also forgot to mention our wedding was at 1pm, dinner was at 6 or 7pm. So having a little cake after the ceremony didn't really spoil anyone's appetite for dinner. So the time of the ceremony could also be a factor to consider. Do you have a early or late ceremony?

They have new cake designs for Escape weddings. Ours looked different than yours, but it was still yummy and big. Our wedding was at 12pm and dinner at 5pm. After having a long morning of getting ready, everyone was ready for a little cake. We also had soda and sparkling cider.

DisGal

Original Poster

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

The cake is big.
We originally wanted the ceremony at 5pm, but was told we cannot have it that late in Nov since the sun will set a little after 5:30. We are now having it at 2:30pm and dinner around 5-5:30pm. Did you order extra bottle/s of champagne? I definitely don't think one bottle will cover everyone, but I wonder how much they charge for extra bottles.

nolatron

The cake is big.
We originally wanted the ceremony at 5pm, but was told we cannot have it that late in Nov since the sun will set a little after 5:30. We are now having it at 2:30pm and dinner around 5-5:30pm. Did you order extra bottle/s of champagne? I definitely don't think one bottle will cover everyone, but I wonder how much they charge for extra bottles.

Hmm... I think we had just one bottle because there was only a handful of guests with us. They say one bottle will serve 8 guests, so you'll need 3 with your amount of guests to have at least 1 glass and some left over. They don't list the price of a bottle though on the website. Your wedding planner will be able to tell you though.

jen2009

Hmm... I think we had just one bottle because there was only a handful of guests with us. They say one bottle will serve 8 guests, so you'll need 3 with your amount of guests to have at least 1 glass and some left over. They don't list the price of a bottle though on the website. Your wedding planner will be able to tell you though.

We had the one bottle of champagne and order a bottle of sparkling cider and had some soda on hand for those who did not drink alcohol. We had plenty of drink leftover. You only pay for what soda people drink and the sparkling cider is the good stuff.

minnie_maus

Kathleen was the best wedding planner ever!!

Yesss!! She totally is! She was mine as well.
----
We had our dinner at the Spirit of Aloha Luau... it was casual, all you can eat and my guests really enjoyed themselves! If you are looking for something more formal, I suggest Narcoossee's at GF. The food is amazing and the view of MK is beautiful!

Best of wishes!!!! :sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

Have you asked about doing something private on the Grand I? That's the yacht/boat thingy that I'm pretty sure if memory serves is moored at the Grand Floridian. I know they can do private catered affairs on the boat plus you get a captain & crew for however long you need. The hubby and I are looking towards renewing our vows with just our boys and parents in a year or so. I think the private outing on the Grand I would be my 1st choice for dinner/fireworks after the ceremony.

:wave:

jen2009

Have you asked about doing something private on the Grand I? That's the yacht/boat thingy that I'm pretty sure if memory serves is moored at the Grand Floridian. I know they can do private catered affairs on the boat plus you get a captain & crew for however long you need. The hubby and I are looking towards renewing our vows with just our boys and parents in a year or so. I think the private outing on the Grand I would be my 1st choice for dinner/fireworks after the ceremony.

:wave:

We looked into that, but it got real exspensive quick. For the 20 people to have a dinner and go during fireworks it was going to be around $2500. If you can afford it then go for it. We would have, but we were paying for everything and decided to spend the money elsewhere.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom