Weather Bug Camera - Back online!

rshell68

Grrr..down again. I got so excited when I say the thread title. I had that page bookmarked and always looked at it when I needed that "shot" of Disney. :cry:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I couldn't see what the security issue would be... If it's an issue of people plotting to break in, you can find better blueprints online, and hear about all sorts of chinks in the armour... For crying out loud you can get satellite mapping of the entire area that is more defined than what the webcam gives. A terrorist plot security issue, please, anything that happens at Disney World is going to be photographed and released so quickly by avid fans like us quicker than CNN can say "Wolf Blitzer"... So they couldn't possibly keep a major accident/attack quiet for long.

I can't find a valid reason for them not to put it back up...

Who first grabbed that eagle shot on the weatherbug cam?? Is that a hoax!? It's like a one in a million shot... quite magical!

Knee-jerk reaction to 911.

Kamikaze

:shrug:

I really don't see a good reason for them to be up and running though.

Thats correct. There are no advantages to running the cameras, only disadvantages. Those I've covered, the 'terrorist' angle is something else entirely. I suppose a 'terrorist' could look at the cameras and see there were thousands of people in the park, but they could just wait outside the gates and see the same thing.

shoppingnut

Thats correct. There are no advantages to running the cameras, only disadvantages. Those I've covered, the 'terrorist' angle is something else entirely. I suppose a 'terrorist' could look at the cameras and see there were thousands of people in the park, but they could just wait outside the gates and see the same thing.

There are thousands of people in the parks every day. They wouldn't even have to go to the parks, just go the book/website that gives you crowd levels for all year round and you can easily find out which days/parks have the highest attendance.

sittle

Original Poster
...There are no advantages to running the cameras, only disadvantages...

Or you could look at it from another angle.... There are no disadvantages to running the webcams, only advantages...

Think about how much motion advertiseing us becoming normal as an advertising option these days. Restaurants, service stations, air ports, all use different forms of motion advertising... Webcams can and have been used in the same way.

It's free advertisement and in the scheme of things, it's relatively cheap, and could be rather effective..

Picture it: Your stuck in your grey office cubicle on a snowy winters day, or maybe your at home tired and bored while being stuck inside as the late fall or early spring rains are busy raining out yet another weekend... Maybe/Likely you log on to your computer and maybe you decide to visit the Magic Kingdom webcam... It's a sunny day at the magic kingdom and there are hundreds of lucky vacationers enjoying the sun, sights and sounds of Disney Worlds' Magic Kingdom... Then all of those feel good memories come flooding back to you and next thing you know it, your booking your next Disney Vacation online...

I think that's a pretty big advantage of a Webcam on the Disney World website...

It's perspective... There are no problems that cannot be solved you just have to find a way to solve them..

Kamikaze

That might be the angle that you want to take, but that is not the realistic angle. The way you are viewing it doesn't take into account the many disadvantages that have been mentioned.

Further, you can do the same as the situation you presented by loading up the WDW site with a lot more pictures.

Fun2BFree

Further, you can do the same as the situation you presented by loading up the WDW site with a lot more pictures.

Yes, but there's a reason why most people would prefer a webcam to pictures. It's the same reason why most people prefer to watch sports live rather than wait and catch a repeat later. People love watching things as they happen and a webcam, filled with movement and music, is a vast improvement over previously taken pictures that have been assembled later. It's the difference between WDW being made to seem magical and it actually being magical.

sittle

Original Poster
That might be the angle that you want to take, but that is not the realistic angle. The way you are viewing it doesn't take into account the many disadvantages that have been mentioned.

I'm sorry... I'm having a problem finding all of the many disadvantages that have been mentioned.... There was one mentioned about security by unkadoug, but you yourself have nixed that one one already... and the one about the wall street people keeping tabs on how busy the park is (even after it was solved in the OP by me)...

If you could quote the other disadvantages you've seen already posted in this very post that would be great....

As a side note Kamikaze: It does seem that you are mostly trying to be argumentative in this post and I would like to discourage you from doing so... it's not very productive... If you are taking issue with me, I would invite you to do drop me a PM and we discuss this like rational adults...

Kamikaze

I'm sorry... I'm having a problem finding all of the many disadvantages that have been mentioned.... There was one mentioned about security by unkadoug, but you yourself have nixed that one one already... and the one about the wall street people keeping tabs on how busy the park is (even after it was solved in the OP by me)...

If you could quote the other disadvantages you've seen already posted in this very post that would be great....

As a side note Kamikaze: It does seem that you are mostly trying to be argumentative in this post and I would like to discourage you from doing so... it's not very productive... If you are taking issue with me, I would invite you to do drop me a PM and we discuss this like rational adults...

Oh, I am not being argumentative. I am just voicing my opinion on why the cams are not necessary, and why they will never be back, ever.

Making the shot so it doesn't show people is not a solution. It may be what you would like, but just because you want it that way doesn't make it a solution. All you would be doing is possibly delaying until you have the problem again.

Its great that you want them back. I'm sure there are others that do as well. But its not going to happen. In another month, they will have been gone for SEVEN YEARS. Its time to let it go.

I realize they are basically free to run, and one done like the S&D weathercam basically cause no issues, but even then, there is no advantage gained by TWDC over static camera shots, which they can control better to show 'the best' of the park.

For instance, heres a thought: Camera is on top of the train station facing Cindy's Castle. Cannot see Main Street, so no guests. Good so far, right? What if its pouring rain? Someone logs on and takes a look and goes 'I don't want to go there if it rains!' and doesn't book because of it. Don't say that doesn't happen, the vast majority of the world are morons. Now, the flipside to that is Disney just hosting a few great pictures of bright sunny skies. Which do you think would be more effective?

sittle

Original Poster
Making the shot so it doesn't show people is not a solution. It may be what you would like, but just because you want it that way doesn't make it a solution. All you would be doing is possibly delaying until you have the problem again.

If the problem is this (exactly as you stated): The park cameras were removed because they allowed people (competitors, guests, but more importantly Wall Street) to judge the attendance and crowds at the park.

The solution to the problem is indeed to slightly raise the camera angle or put it into a position that does not show people. Cameras still run, people get to see them, no one knows exactly how many visitors there are.

For instance, heres a thought: Camera is on top of the train station facing Cindy's Castle. Cannot see Main Street, so no guests. Good so far, right? What if its pouring rain? Someone logs on and takes a look and goes 'I don't want to go there if it rains!' and doesn't book because of it. Don't say that doesn't happen, the vast majority of the world are morons. Now, the flipside to that is Disney just hosting a few great pictures of bright sunny skies. Which do you think would be more effective?

While the sunny pictures would be more effective, remember any publicity is good publicity, 9 times out of ten the webcam is going to pick up a sunny or slightly overcast day more than it will a rainy day, as we know, it is sunnier more than it is rainy in Florida (most places), that is one of the reasons why Disney World was built there.

Also right now with emerging technologies, still pictures are getting the antiquated feel from the younger tech-savy generations. A webcam is not a still picture, it is a real time image, and right now, everyone is obsessed with reality.

What better time to bring back the webcams? And webcams allow people to get a glimpse into their favourite places seeing them exactly as they are at that very moment, a still picture does say a thousand words, but a moving image speaks indefinitely.

You are of course entitled to your opinion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom