Wearing of sandals in August

suzie

Original Poster
This will be my first time going to Disney, as a matter a fact my first trip taking a plane. I am leaving for Disney on 10th August. I know the heat will be hot and humid. Most people I talked too told me to put sneakers with socks, because of the walking we will do in Disney. But I would prefer sandals without socks. Is this a good idea. What would you do.

Thanking you in advance for your answers.:)

EpcoTim

Wear them. I do. I pretty much wear sandals year round, but if your used to them, it will be much more comfortable than shoes, for me it is anyway.

EpcotGrl

I did it once in sandals, and after a few hours at Epcot I had awful blisters. I've seen some people do it, though... Though my friend's mom actually got her FEET sunburnt thanks to her sandals (which, as you might imagine, didn't make the rest of the trip too great)...things to keep in mind ;) :wave:

the_rich

i went in aug of 03 and 05 and im going again this august....do not wear sandals.. for one your feet will get sunburnt and for all the walking your gonna be doing you need some support...when i went in 03 we tracked how much we had walked...it came out to 5 miles a day, 35 miles for the week...do u think you feet can handle that in sandals?

Jerm

You should go with what works for you. But consider this...have you walked for 12 hours in your sandals for 5 days in a row? I am a big shoes and socks guy but to each his own......Oh and watch out for the sunburn on the feet, I had that once and that way pry the worst pain I have ever been in.

J

olive10tails

I would definitely bring both. Disney is a ton of walking and sometimes it is nice to have cushiony socks on after days of walking. You may feel more comfy in sandals at the pool, water parks, etc. I have been to WDW in the summer and I have been sooo happy that I had tennies with socks. My feet didn't get that hot.

Kadee

We used to wear good tennis shoes with socks because of all the advice, etc. But I HATE for my feet to feel sweaty. We started wearing really good extra cushioned sandals or flip flops and found them much more comfortable. Just make sure BEFORE you go, that they do not rub your feet anywhere. I've worn birkenstocks before, and even they were better than sneakers, but my Teva's were a dream. This year, I'm wearing my Croc Flops (the flip flops, not the first ones that came out). So sandals work better for my family. We feel much cooler with our feet open. But, as a poster above stated, you feet WILL get sunburned. Be sure to use sunscreen on your feet. BTW: We always got more blisters with sneakers than with sandals.

tigsmom

Go with the sneakers and socks, your feet will thank you. Between all the walking you have to do and the crowds (ever have your foot runover by a carriage or ECV?) the sandles will kill your feet.

mikemand25

Go with the tennis shoes and socks for sure. You dont want to be in pain later in the day from no support. Although you may get a little hot you can also take a break and take off your tennis shoes for a few minutes.
You also dont want to be hurting if somebody accidently steps on your foot or rolls over it with a stroller with sandals on believe me it happens and then you will be hurting for the rest of the day.

3dwarfs

I wear my teva hiking sandals year round. I love them, they are very comfortable, and I like wearing them at Disney. I would definately not wear flip flops. I would bring sneakers and sandals if you are unsure, and see which works best for you.

suzie

Original Poster
Thank you for all your excellent advice. I have another question,

What should I bring, I definitely know to bring a hat, swimsuit and shorts, but what about for nightime, is it cool once the sun goes down in Disney. Like I said this is my first time to Disney and where I come from it can be chilly at night. Should I bring pants. Oh and I will definetly take a bath in sunscreen before going.

Should I bring a long sleeve sweater. I don't want to overload my luggage.

We will stay at Pop Century for 6 nights.

Thank you for your patience answering these questions.

EpcotGrl

A Canadian should have no trouble with the "cool" of a Floridian August evening, but just in case you might want to bring a hoodie or something. Better safe than sorry :) Have a great time :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
suzie said:

What should I bring, I definitely know to bring a hat, swimsuit and shorts, but what about for nightime, is it cool once the sun goes down in Disney. Like I said this is my first time to Disney and where I come from it can be chilly at night. Should I bring pants. Oh and I will definetly take a bath in sunscreen before going.

I normally go in February and a hoodie is necessary at night. In August, I'd say maybe a light windbreaker would be the most you'd need. Florida is hot and humid for most of the summer.

Oh and definitely use sunscreen [unless you're a leathery old sun-dog like myself :lol: ] the sun is significantly more intense there than it is here in the Great White North!

tigsmom

suzie said:

Bring a light sweater because the A/C can get a little cool at times in some of the restaurants, but we were there last August, in the MK at 2am and it was still almost 100 degrees! August in Florida = hot, humid and usually a quick afternoon thunderstorm.

Valawen9

suzie said:
This will be my first time going to Disney, as a matter a fact my first trip taking a plane. I am leaving for Disney on 10th August. I know the heat will be hot and humid. Most people I talked too told me to put sneakers with socks, because of the walking we will do in Disney. But I would prefer sandals without socks. Is this a good idea. What would you do.

Thanking you in advance for your answers.:)

All I ever wear anymore is flip-flops. More comfortable to me...my toes can breathe. :D

Chape19714

In my opinion, sandles are ok, if you are used to them...but keep in mind, there are a great amount of things to stub your toes on!

RonAnnArbor

I never wear anything there but flip flops and never have a problem, but them I wear them all the time at home too. Why don't you also do a search for "flip flops" and you will find a thread with almost all the same people posting as in this room that goes on for pages and pages...

On a more important note: why are you going to take the advise of any of us online here...don't you know your own feet well enough to make a decision?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom