wearing face masks?

Tom P.

Unless Disney is going to stop selling food and beverages for outdoor consumption, people are going to take masks off away from designated eating areas that are being heavily sanitized. And it is not realistic to expect Disney to close down everything except the indoor restaurants and stop people from having a snack or a drink as they are walking around. In fact, it could be dangerous to not let people have drinks as they are moving about the park as it could lead to dehydration pretty quickly in the Florida heat.

And, frankly, I'd rather people who want a pretzel or a bottle of water pull their masks down for a few minutes while walking around the park than have everyone who wants a snack crowding into an indoor restaurant. Yes, surfaces in restaurants can be sanitized more easily. But most transmission does not come from surfaces; it comes from respiratory droplets being spread through the air. And, so far at least, the risk of that has been shown to be much greater in confined, indoor spaces than outdoors.

I think the best and most realistic policy would be no eating or drinking while waiting in queue lines, but you are permitted to eat and drink while walking around the park. Does that mean there won't be 100% mask usage all the time? Yes. But I think it's the best way to balance all the different factors involved and still provide a good level of protection.

NickMaio

Yes. And they take breaks. Don't want to burst your bubble but on the break, the mask comes off.

They must be really good. How exactly are they going to know the exact time and spot that I'm going to get thirsty.
Yes...it comes off when they eat. In a specific area....that is once again..heavily sanitized.
My wife is a nurse.
Keep your mask on unless instructed to do otherwise.
The mask is not for you.

They will have people close to these locations.

NickMaio

It has nothing to do with respecting guidelines. It's about being realistic. Yes, masks should be worn. Yes, social distancing should be observed. But that is in theory.

As an example - Do you think a 55/60/65 year old guest with COPD, or Asthma, or needing oxygen for their visit, is going to be perfectly fine with wearing a mask for 8 hours straight? Especially, when they begin having trouble catching their breath? People can pontificate all they'd like, but they are not grounded in reality. Unless of course, Disney creates a policy discriminating against this type of guest and only allows the fit and healthy to enter the parks.
Why the hell would anyone with those issues go to Disney?

Storm

It has nothing to do with respecting guidelines. It's about being realistic. Yes, masks should be worn. Yes, social distancing should be observed. But that is in theory.

As an example - Do you think a 55/60/65 year old guest with COPD, or Asthma, or needing oxygen for their visit, is going to be perfectly fine with wearing a mask for 8 hours straight? Especially, when they begin having trouble catching their breath? People can pontificate all they'd like, but they are not grounded in reality. Unless of course, Disney creates a policy discriminating against this type of guest and only allows the fit and healthy to enter the parks.
Those guests should NOT be at Disney in the first place , that’s completely suicidal.

Storm

Thank you. So it is acceptable to take the mask off. So unlike your previous post of "wear the mask...or don't go" - there are indeed scenarios where the mask can come off.
Didn't know that this turned into a discrimination thread. They have as much right to be there as you do.
? That’s using logic , if you are heavily at risk you don’t go to a place where you WILL be put in immediate risk

Phil12

What happens if I need to drink some water (or a soda) while walking between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? Mask on or off? Or am I not allowed to hydrate?
1593882696291.png

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
? That’s using logic , if you are heavily at risk you don’t go to a place where you WILL be put in immediate risk

Again - we're talking theory vs reality. They will go. Whether you think they should be there or not is irrelevant. How do you handle that situation?

Storm

Again - we're talking theory vs reality. They will go. Whether you think they should be there or not is irrelevant. How do you handle that situation?
Then perhaps that’s natural selection ? If you are severely at risk and you decide to go ahead fully knowing that there is a high risk you could get the virus and probably die you are pretty much asking for it.

Tom P.

Didn't know that this turned into a discrimination thread. They have as much right to be there as you do.
No one is suggesting that Disney prevent anyone from attending. However, every expert is warning that people who are at higher than normal risk of serious complications from COVID-19 should take extra precautions. That is just common sense in the midst of a pandemic. If someone chooses to ignore that advice, then that is their choice, but it doesn't make much sense for someone who is high risk to be visiting a place so non-essential as Walt Disney World right now.

Tom P.

Yes...it comes off when they eat. In a specific area....that is once again..heavily sanitized.
My wife is a nurse.
Keep your mask on unless instructed to do otherwise.
The mask is not for you.

They will have people close to these locations.
What you are saying is not the same as Disney's policy. Nowhere has Disney said that guests can only eat or drink in designated areas that will then be heavily sanitized. Removing your mask to eat or drink while moving about the park is permitted under current Disney policy. Perhaps they will change that in the future. But there is nothing preventing that at the moment.

Mickey Pride

No one is suggesting that Disney prevent anyone from attending. However, every expert is warning that people who are at higher than normal risk of serious complications from COVID-19 should take extra precautions. That is just common sense in the midst of a pandemic. If someone chooses to ignore that advice, then that is their choice, but it doesn't make much sense for someone who is high risk to be visiting a place so non-essential as Walt Disney World right now.
The key word in your post is common sense. You are 100% correct, people need to use common sense. If you don't feel comfortable going into a situation than use your common sense and avoid it. If you are sick than use your common sense and don't go out and avoid getting worse and others sick. It isn't rocket science.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

And I get that. My point being that there will be those that will choose to ignore the warning. And will go to the parks regardless of warnings and in some cases common sense. But people are free to make whatever decisions they choose to make.

I for one am in favor of the masks. But I also realize that it is an unrealistic expectation to think that the masks will be worn by everyone from the moment they walk into a park until the moment they leave.

Mickey Pride

And I get that. My point being that there will be those that will choose to ignore the warning. And will go to the parks regardless of warnings and in some cases common sense. But people are free to make whatever decisions they choose to make.

I for one am in favor of the masks. But I also realize that it is an unrealistic expectation to think that the masks will be worn by everyone from the moment they walk into a park until the moment they leave.
That is where Disney has to enforce the policy. If they do not then the whole system will be worthless.

Minnie Mum

News flash- if someone requires supplemental O2, their nasal prongs can be worn under a mask. Problem solved. If they cant walk or stand for any length if time because they get short of breath, they can rent a wheelchair or ECV, and take rest breaks. Problem solved. A mask wont create the problem, but it may magnify it. So its up to the individual to find a way to deal with it, just like in real life.

But as previously stated, any one with a severe chronic respiratory problem who chooses to voluntarily go into an environment that puts them at such high risk needs their head examined.

Tom P.

I agree that 100% mask wearing from beginning to end of park visits is unrealistic. However, I think a majority of guests can be reasonably expected to be in masks a majority of the time. And I think Disney should do its best to enforce that. If you have 75% compliance, that is still a heck of a lot better than just letting people do whatever they want.

Regarding a plan for those who are higher risk, though, I think there is only so far Disney can go with that. Quite frankly, there really isn't a plan that can make a theme park an appropriate choice for someone who is high risk. At some point, there has to be some personal responsibility. Disney should do its best to make and enforce reasonable policies that will help keep everyone safe. Beyond that, it comes down to a person's individual choices.

NickMaio

Thank you. So it is acceptable to take the mask off. So unlike your previous post of "wear the mask...or don't go" - there are indeed scenarios where the mask can come off.
Ugh.....yes I agree that masks taken off in specific areas are ok.
I thought this was clear......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom