Wearing Costumes

dinkyandbaby

Original Poster
I would like to wear a costume to star wars weekends. Do people usually wear them? I would be the only one in my group and don't want to ruin my time by feeling awkward.

MonorailLover

I would like to wear a costume to star wars weekends. Do people usually wear them? I would be the only one in my group and don't want to ruin my time by feeling awkward.

Ehhh, Not too many do. though, we're all nerds, and we all appreciate the people who do dress up. Just nothing inappropriate;)

Beastly74

My husband and I were there in May 2013 and there were some people wearing costumes (unfortunately we didn't bring any with us). Both of us thought that was great but a word of caution - if you do decide to wear one please take into consideration that it will be very hot so it will probably be best to bring a change of clothes to the park with you (depending on your costume). That being said I hope you do decide to wear one and have an amazing time :). We loved it so much that we are hoping to go back in May 2016.

dinkyandbaby

Original Poster
My husband and I were there in May 2013 and there were some people wearing costumes (unfortunately we didn't bring any with us). Both of us thought that was great but a word of caution - if you do decide to wear one please take into consideration that it will be very hot so it will probably be best to bring a change of clothes to the park with you (depending on your costume). That being said I hope you do decide to wear one and have an amazing time :). We loved it so much that we are hoping to go back in May 2016.

Thank you so much! Is star wars weekends mostly just for star wars fans, or do you see a mix of everyone?

Beastly74

Thank you so much! Is star wars weekends mostly just for star wars fans, or do you see a mix of everyone?

Sorry I took so long to reply. The majority are Star Wars fans-at least that was our experience. It was extremely busy so I would have felt bad for anyone who was there and did not realize that it was a Star Wars week-end. That being said the crowd did not stop us from having an amazing time :D.

Jahona

Well that blows... whats the point of wearing a full Darth Vader suit if my head will show... Then again in Florida wearing a black Vader costume I'm not sure if I would make it from the parking lot to the front gate before dying from a heat stroke.

A bit of makeup and you could make it look like Darth Vader after his helmet came off.

Chef Mickey

Well that blows... whats the point of wearing a full Darth Vader suit if my head will show... Then again in Florida wearing a black Vader costume I'm not sure if I would make it from the parking lot to the front gate before dying from a heat stroke.
Dressing up in a full costume with mask would interfere with their cast members and confuse children.

You have not been trained and they don't want your portrayal of Darth Vader to be what guests might believe to be a representation of a Disney owned character.

Preservation of character integrity is a serious issue and Disney will protect it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

We saw lots of guests in some sort of costume. I think with each year, more and more folks dress up as their favorite character. My DD and I will be Jedis and her fiancé will be a Sith. And we will have our lightsabers with us. Not the ones you get in the gift shop (or online Disney store) at Star Tours, but the collectable ones (but not the hundreds of $$$ custom build ones - I would NEVER take that into a Disney park) with removable blades.

So if you see 3 geeky adults in Jedi & Sith robes having lightsaber fights, that will be us. As we try not to keel over from the heat. :hungover:

BTW, did I read on previous SWW posts that Darth's Mall will be in a different location? I've told my future son-in-law (who is an even bigger SW geek than me) all the amazing SW stuff he can find in there.

dinkyandbaby

Original Poster
We saw lots of guests in some sort of costume. I think with each year, more and more folks dress up as their favorite character. My DD and I will be Jedis and her fiancé will be a Sith. And we will have our lightsabers with us. Not the ones you get in the gift shop (or online Disney store) at Star Tours, but the collectable ones (but not the hundreds of $$$ custom build ones - I would NEVER take that into a Disney park) with removable blades.

So if you see 3 geeky adults in Jedi & Sith robes having lightsaber fights, that will be us. As we try not to keel over from the heat. :hungover:

BTW, did I read on previous SWW posts that Darth's Mall will be in a different location? I've told my future son-in-law (who is an even bigger SW geek than me) all the amazing SW stuff he can find in there.
Thank you so much! I have to try not to die from a heatstroke either LOL

CaptainAmerica

Dressing up in a full costume with mask would interfere with their cast members and confuse children.

You have not been trained and they don't want your portrayal of Darth Vader to be what guests might believe to be a representation of a Disney owned character.

Preservation of character integrity is a serious issue and Disney will protect it.
We've agreed twice today. One or both of us must be sick.

The "most lax" Disney would ever be about this is during MNSSHP. Though they could still ask you to change if you look "too real."

Chef Mickey

We've agreed twice today. One or both of us must be sick.

The "most lax" Disney would ever be about this is during MNSSHP. Though they could still ask you to change if you look "too real."
Haha, disagreement is usually just a difference in perspective. No harm in that. I'm sure we agree on a lot more than we realize.

Agreed on MNSSHP. I noticed they relax the policy so people can have fun and it's understood many are in costume.

Not during the MNSSHP, I saw a girl who was asked to change because she came dressed as Tinkerbell. She almost looked like she worked there. She threw a fit, but Disney would not allow her to enter. I completely understand why they wouldn't want a character represented by a non Disney employee. WAY too much risk for character integrity issues.

BuddyThomas

Haha, disagreement is usually just a difference in perspective. No harm in that. I'm sure we agree on a lot more than we realize.

Agreed on MNSSHP. I noticed they relax the policy so people can have fun and it's understood many are in costume.

Not during the MNSSHP, I saw a girl who was asked to change because she came dressed as Tinkerbell. She almost looked like she worked there. She threw a fit, but Disney would not allow her to enter. I completely understand why they wouldn't want a character represented by a non Disney employee. WAY too much risk for character integrity issues.
But everyone dresses up like Disney characters at that party. We dressed like Michael and John from Peter Pan one year. We found a lot of Wendy's, Peters, and Tinks once inside. Are you suggesting that if your costume is too good, they won't let you in?

Chef Mickey

But everyone dresses up like Disney characters at that party. We dressed like Michael and John from Peter Pan one year. We found a lot of Wendy's, Peters, and Tinks once inside. Are you suggesting that if your costume is too good, they won't let you in?
No, I said during MNSSHP, they relax the policy. If it's a regular day and you look too much like a character or even a little too much, they will not let you in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom