WDW's Greatest Era

When was WDW's Greatest Era?

• Total voters

Nextinline

Original Poster
If Disney heaven exists, & you can spend the rest of eternity in one Walt Disney World era, which would you chose?

While many of us are quick to point out the issues of WDW today, how does the state of the entire property compare to that of the past? How does the cannon of attractions compare through the years? How does the dining compare? The resorts? Would losing fastpass make the 90's less attractive since it wasn't yet introduced?

I'd love to hear how people remember the WDW of their past & how it REALLY compares to the WDW of today.

odmichael

Honestly, I think you're just going to get a bias with this poll. Just about everyone is going to say Disney was best when they were 7 - 11 years old, when they were just old enough to remember a trip and be able to ride most of the rides OR whenever they brought their kids there. Plus, I wasn't born until the 90's. So I have no idea how it was before that. People say there are problems with the parks today. But as you point out there were plenty of problems with the parks before. Tough to say there is a greatest era.

Nextinline

Original Poster
I agree that age plays a big part in how we viewed/view the parks, but even subjectively there can be a greatest era.

Comparing what was available at what times wouldn't be a function of our rose colored glasses.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Keeping in mind that the present age is never the golden age, I went with 1986-1993. That is when we too the majority of family vacations as a kid and when I fell in love with Epcot. There was the original Journey, World of Motion, Horizons, original Living Seas. The Living with the Land had real guides, and Wonders of Life was open too. Plus, I was a kid and my parents took care of everything; I was carefree!

Nextinline

Original Poster
Keeping in mind that the present age is never the golden age, I went with 1986-1993. That is when we too the majority of family vacations as a kid and when I fell in love with Epcot. There was the original Journey, World of Motion, Horizons, original Living Seas. The Living with the Land had real guides, and Wonders of Life was open too. Plus, I was a kid and my parents took care of everything; I was carefree!

I agree that the current age can't be the "golden age" but you can make some strong arguments why these days are better than the past. The new attractions, technology, etc, can make you think this is the greatest time in WDW history.

Oddysey

EPCOT and the attractions you listed is the major reason that I chose 1993 to 2000. Through most of this era all the attractions you mentioned were in place, and there were more theme parks to visit (MGM in 1989 and AK in 1999). Although 1999 was a sad year for EPCOT so maybe just 1993 to 1997 for me.

I think the Attitude Era was the best. I don't see that listed.

Never any love for the PG era :(

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think the best era for Disney for anyone is when they were within the ages of 11 or younger. When you don't notice anything bad and truly believe you're in a magical world and take everything seriously (in a fantasy sense).

There cannot be a "best era" for teens or adults because we're obviously going to complain about everything that kids would never even notice.

epcotisbest

I think the best era for Disney for anyone is when they were within the ages of 11 or younger. When you don't notice anything bad and truly believe you're in a magical world and take everything seriously (in a fantasy sense).

There cannot be a "best era" for teens or adults because we're obviously going to complain about everything that kids would never even notice.
Interesting theory but terribly flawed. There are many people, me as one, who never experienced or even dreamed of experiencing WDW as a child. I came from a family with nothing. Did not even know what a vacation was.
First went in 1983 at the age of 23, after I was long out on my own and married. Loved every minute of it that first trip and am still at 53 making up for never going "within the ages of 11 or younger."

mpeters

The best era is whenever you first went to Disney, whether it was as a child or as an adult..........there is nothing to compare it to since it is all new to you. The Disney of my youth is far different than the Disney of my sons. Each is great in its own parts.........

What makes Disney great is the memories it creates for you and your loved ones......so in that case......every second, every minute, every hour, every day etc. that you are down in Disney is truly the best era of your own time

Kuzcotopia

2007-2014 by default

Did a day at Epcot in 1986 once while visiting family, and we did an MK trip in 1979 that may have been two days.

My real vacations to WDW didn't start until 2007. Our third in the 2007-2014 starts next week.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Interesting theory but terribly flawed. There are many people, me as one, who never experienced or even dreamed of experiencing WDW as a child. I came from a family with nothing. Did not even know what a vacation was.
First went in 1983 at the age of 23, after I was long out on my own and married. Loved every minute of it that first trip and am still at 53 making up for never going "within the ages of 11 or younger."

Not flawed. Just unlucky for you, my friend! I am sorry.

Or in your case, not unlucky if you love your first trip. :)

Nextinline

Original Poster
I'm surprised how many people think Disney is automatically the best when you are a child. I didn't think the question was a subjective as its being made out to be. Your perception of the attractions & parks may change, but what is physically there is objective. Was what was sitting on that property in 1971 better than what sits on that property in 2014? 1999? 1987? etc.

JIMINYCR

1986 - 1993 Eisner & Wells started influencing the build up of Disney in a positive way. Although later years Wells died and Eisner began stumbling, they had great success. Many have questioned if Disney would still be standing if Eisner & Wells had not made the moves they had at the right times.

Kamikaze

Why did you break it up the way you did, OP? There are some clearly definable 'eras' that you could have used, but you just did it in 7 year periods.

Smooth

epcotisbwhen I went on my first trip post: 6247008 said:
Right. I was 21 when I went on my first trip....in 1977. I went 1-3 times per year up until about 5 and 1/2 years ago. We are going in September this year.
I would say that the late 80's to early 90's was a great era.

Disnee4Me

I was an adult the first time I went '81, but I picked 1993-2000 because during that time period, all 4 parks were open, and it was during that time period we started staying on property plus my DSs were little and seeing them enjoy it as kids means more to me than if I had the opportunity to see it as a kid ... besides WDW wasn't open until I was in HS, so I could have never seen it as a kid anyhow!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom