WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm headed to Disney for my 40th birthday in November and, inspired by this thread, I've decided that I'm going to get myself a cake. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge and currently don't have any ADRs although I keep looking (my list includes Be Our Guest for any meal, a pre-opening breakfast, and a nice dinner - maybe Whispering Canyon Cafe or something at the MK one night). My thought is to do a cake wherever we wind up having the nice dinner so I'm not really sure where I will be ordering from.

My favorite Disney character is Sleeping Beauty so I'm thinking something with that theme. Is there any way to see what stock images of the characters (Aurora and the fairies maybe) they have available without actually contacting one of the bakeries? Also, I was toying with the idea of blue and pink tie-dye like fondant on the cake. Has anyone ever seen this done before? Any what is the smallest size that you can get with fondant on it? We are only going to be at Disney for 4 days/3 nights and there are only two of us so I don't want anything huge.

I'm so excited to do a cake. We were at Disney last fall for my friend's 40th and I soooo wish that I had known about these cakes then.

It seems that each bakery has certain images in their stock of usable images, but according to the private dining staff at YC/BC, they "may" be able to get other images if given more than 30 days notice. Once you decide on a spot for your bday dinner and determine which bakery will be handling your cake, you might be able to get them to email you the options for said character.

Some of the bakeries will still do a mini cake or mini wedding cake covered in fondant, but you may be told that a minimum of a 6" is required. The Contemporary bakery seems to be the most particular about using fondant on smaller cakes. There have been times they've even wanted a minimum of an 8" for a bigger "canvas," but we have seen fondant covered 6"cakes from them over the last six or so months.

I haven't seen anyone do a Disney cake with pink and blue tie dyed fondant, but I love the idea and it should be pretty easy to do...at least from my personal fondant experiences with my own cakes.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
FEELING FRUSTRATED!!! :banghead:

So, I posted previously about my dealings with private dining and YC/BC. I was a little concerned over a few things in my phone call, but was impressed with their rapid email replies and had high hopes. Those hopes are dwindling...to the point where I may have to go with plan B or plan C. I'm sharing this partly to vent, but also to help since what's happening for me could happen to any one of you.

So, this process started on July 17th. I emailed back and forth and was told they'd get back with me to give me a quote. On July 19th, I received a message saying they were still waiting on a quote for my Donald hat (Just the hat???) and would get back with me as soon as possible, but it would take a minimum of 2 weeks. OK...so I figured this was just because the hat was a special piece. I decided on July 24th to scrap the hat since that seemed to be the hold up. I asked for a quote w/o the hat and confirmation that they could use the image of Donald that I liked, but only from the neck up. They said OK and they'd get back with me. Well, here it is the evening of the 28th and I still haven't heard anything.

The other bakeries can take cake orders with as little as 48 hours notice and give a quote, often same day or next day. If this weren't the norm with the other bakeries, I'd say I was being unreasonable...but since it is the norm...well, I think my frustration (to say the least) is justified. This has been going on for 11 days now and I'm getting nowhere. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'm probably going to scrap this plan altogether.

So...do I stick with Cape May and no cake or do I flip back to 1900 PF, go back to a Cheshire Cat themed cake, and reach out to the GF asap??? I know...what happens when the resident cake girl has issues! Really in no mood for this. :mad:

The good news...there are plenty of ADRs left for 1900 PF, so I could make this work if I give up on YC/BC.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I say go with GF...Pat seems to be very agreeable lately, you get the eggs Benedict with hollandaise you love, and you get to see the Castle!

Not to mention the fabulous bagel schmear! Plus, while we can't see the WS...SSE may be visible from the road depending on the maingate we use to enter WDW property. I have tried so hard to be patient, but 11 days is ridiculous when the other bakeries boast such quick turnaround times.

coachwnh

FEELING FRUSTRATED!!! :banghead:

So, I posted previously about my dealings with private dining and YC/BC. I was a little concerned over a few things in my phone call, but was impressed with their rapid email replies and had high hopes. Those hopes are dwindling...to the point where I may have to go with plan B or plan C. I'm sharing this partly to vent, but also to help since what's happening for me could happen to any one of you.

So, this process started on July 17th. I emailed back and forth and was told they'd get back with me to give me a quote. On July 19th, I received a message saying they were still waiting on a quote for my Donald hat (Just the hat???) and would get back with me as soon as possible, but it would take a minimum of 2 weeks. OK...so I figured this was just because the hat was a special piece. I decided on July 24th to scrap the hat since that seemed to be the hold up. I asked for a quote w/o the hat and confirmation that they could use the image of Donald that I liked, but only from the neck up. They said OK and they'd get back with me. Well, here it is the evening of the 28th and I still haven't heard anything.

The other bakeries can take cake orders with as little as 48 hours notice and give a quote, often same day or next day. If this weren't the norm with the other bakeries, I'd say I was being unreasonable...but since it is the norm...well, I think my frustration (to say the least) is justified. This has been going on for 11 days now and I'm getting nowhere. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'm probably going to scrap this plan altogether.

So...do I stick with Cape May and no cake or do I flip back to 1900 PF, go back to a Cheshire Cat themed cake, and reach out to the GF asap??? I know...what happens when the resident cake girl has issues! Really in no mood for this. :mad:

The good news...there are plenty of ADRs left for 1900 PF, so I could make this work if I give up on YC/BC.

I say go with GF...Pat seems to be very agreeable lately,

I know you havent always had great luck with Pat, but we have had several cakes made at GF (as you know) and have always been very happy! Good luck and keep us posted.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Woohoo!!!!!! Pat just called and the cake order is in!!! I'm am really pleased to report that it was a very pleasant experience. I'm sure you'll all understand when I say this, but it felt like I was talking to someone at Disney :) I'm not sure if my past experiences were just bad days, but whatever the reason...I like the change. So, sounds like my experience tonight was on par with @coachwnh 's experiences. Good thing!!!

I requested a 6" cake striped in Cheshire cat colors with a 2D edible image of him on top. It will be a chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse and fresh raspberry filling, and chocolate buttercream under the fondant. The filling brought the price from $65 to $71, which is about what I expected. They only have one image of him in their library, but that's fine. So, YAY CAKE!!! :D

coachwnh

Woohoo!!!!!! Pat just called and the cake order is in!!! I'm am really pleased to report that it was a very pleasant experience. I'm sure you'll all understand when I say this, but it felt like I was talking to someone at Disney :) I'm not sure if my past experiences were just bad days, but whatever the reason...I like the change. So, sounds like my experience tonight was on par with @coachwnh 's experiences. Good thing!!!

I requested a 6" cake striped in Cheshire cat colors with a 2D edible image of him on top. It will be a chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse and fresh raspberry filling, and chocolate buttercream under the fondant. The filling brought the price from $65 to $71, which is about what I expected. They only have one image of him in their library, but that's fine. So, YAY CAKE!!! :D
Glad it worked out. Pat has always been great to us. Look forward to seeing the cake!

phxbbw6ft1

Question: At CRT, if I call in to order the chocolate slipper are we allowed to still have the dessert that comes with the prix fare meal? I only ask because desserts are my weakness. I am looking forward to their signature dessert, yum :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Question: At CRT, if I call in to order the chocolate slipper are we allowed to still have the dessert that comes with the prix fare meal? I only ask because desserts are my weakness. I am looking forward to their signature dessert, yum :)

Definitely! The chocolate slipper, just like a cake, is something extra you're adding on. So, you should be getting that in addition to anything included in the cost of your meal.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Time for a cake update!!! And I'm happy to say that not 1, but 2 of the cakes are from me!!!!!

First is a 6" floral buttercream cake from the Contemporary. $38 + gratuity and delivery.
floral.jpg

Next is BatB themed. 8" cake- $56 from BW Bakery. The topper was provided by the people that placed the order.

batb.jpg

Next...a Cheshire cat themed cake in buttercream. It was $45, but probably would have been less if they hadn't gone for a fresh fruit filling. This one was delivered to Pop.

cheshire.jpg

And an Elsa mini wedding cake from the Contemporary bakery. $50

elsa mini.jpg

Now some wedding cakes...

8e8c748ca18881471b1873f7d269e395.jpg

6b71c5454d4cc7d1954a92e98179357b.jpg

ced02ca2ca53c7a94dec9ed1792b0add.jpg

2e98a7654639fe249302723fbe1cfc88.jpg

(and if you can't read the msgs on the R2D2s...it's the classic "I love you" - "I know" lines from Empire Strikes Back.

And finally...my cakes!

We got a call from Pat at the GF on Friday as we were en route to FL. She was very concerned because the fondant and other components of the cake have cross contamination risks. It was a frustrating conversation, especially since this has never come up with past cakes, but I completely appreciate her concern and notification since we do work hard to keep our older daughter safe from issues with her food allergies.

Fast forward to yesterday and we finally got to see the cake in person and I LOOOOOOVED it! They did such a nice job and it tasted great.
11866496_10207682949739895_3487408695911502754_n.jpg

11794635_10207682990060903_231505878667732652_o.jpg

11844990_10207682988700869_7849587253288145238_o.jpg

11200807_10207682990100904_2023292012641793907_n.jpg

11863446_10207682991380936_3801216891285023877_n.jpg

11822934_10207682989980901_3171812537778402336_o.jpg

11058690_10207682991420937_831278703515288808_n.jpg

11855823_10207682991940950_3099718237941052061_n.jpg

And we even got Alice and Hatter reacting to the cake...

11709848_10207683027221832_6007290269755255523_o.jpg

11855866_10207683027501839_1282963441717112890_n.jpg

The next cake was made by me. Not my best work, but I was at my parents' house and didn't have all of my tools. I'm also supposed to be on cake hiatus and really wasn't in the mood to be caking. My older daughter's bday is exactly one week after mine and we wanted to celebrate while we were staying with my parents. She got super cranky because she thought her cake would be awful. I guess when you've had elaborate custom cakes courtesy of mom, the prospect of a more basic homemade looking cake is a bit of a downer. So, I caved and made something Harry Potter for her. I didn't agree to make the hand painted book cake complete with edible cover art, but not bad for someone who really doesn't feel like decorating cakes.

19740371914_1bf30e42d3_z.jpg

20246250358_766f1dc19b_z.jpg

Well, that's it for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom