WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

alissafalco

Also, do you think the Contemporary would make a mini wedding cake for me that would serve 4 people instead of 2? just slightly bigger? Would you know the cost?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Also, do you think the Contemporary would make a mini wedding cake for me that would serve 4 people instead of 2? just slightly bigger? Would you know the cost?
Im not sure about the wedding cake but as far as price, it never hurts to email Chef Brian. He has been emailing me back and forth about a cake I ordered for our upcoming trip. Bouncing ideas off each other. He also gave me prices for different combinations depending on what techniques he used to achieve the look I wanted.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have a question, if I order a cake, do I pay for it before hand over the phone? Or is it billed to our restaurant bill? I would like to have it paid for before hand so my husband doesn't see the price ...he he

Unfortunately, it's normally not something you can pay for in advance. It's almost always tacked on to the bill. That being said- you can ask your server to put it on a separate bill and have you pay for it discreetly - maybe while pretending to be on a bathroom break.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

The mini wedding cake doesn't come in any other sizes. They say it serves 2, but it's really between 2-4 depending on how it's sliced. We actually split one between 6 people one time. They will likely suggest you bump up to a 6" if you ask for a slightly larger cake.

DisneyDaver

I have a question, if I order a cake, do I pay for it before hand over the phone? Or is it billed to our restaurant bill? I would like to have it paid for before hand so my husband doesn't see the price ...he he

Ha! I was wondering the same thing as I plan to order a cake to have at California Grill for my 1 year anniversary, but I don't want my wife to see the price!

ladyelenawf

I talked to Pat @ the GF yesterday. She said it's added to the bill at time of meal. I guess you could excuse yourself to "go powder your nose" or other applicable excuse & talk to the waiter/manager about paying before the check hits the table.

I really hope that I get the image I want. If I don't, I think she understood which fallback image I wanted. It was a new way of handling an order that I'm not used to. I think the issue was on my end. I used to work for a call center & so I feel like every phone call should be resolved in 5 min no matter what it's for. :p

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/beserkclothing
10647172_10152702694011153_6779029342663794601_n.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I talked to Pat @ the GF yesterday. She said it's added to the bill at time of meal. I guess you could excuse yourself to "go powder your nose" or other applicable excuse & talk to the waiter/manager about paying before the check hits the table.

I really hope that I get the image I want. If I don't, I think she understood which fallback image I wanted. It was a new way of handling an order that I'm not used to. I think the issue was on my end. I used to work for a call center & so I feel like every phone call should be resolved in 5 min no matter what it's for. :p

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/beserkclothing
10647172_10152702694011153_6779029342663794601_n.jpg

First off- I ADORE the Cheshire Cat!!! I just LOVE that cake! I have this insane Alice in Wonderland cake idea...one that goes beyond my structural engineering skills. Cakes like this make me want to bite the bullet and hire Mike's Amazing Cakes to make that dream a reality. Too bad I can't justify spending thousands and thousands on the cake.

As for the GF and Pat...it's often a "special" experience working with her. I worked in customer service for a long time and was really put off by Pat's demeanor on our one and only time working together. I'm hoping I can get past it, because I want our cake delivered to Narcoosee's = I have to work with the GF. Looking forward to seeing the cake they make for you :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

@PrincessNelly_NJ unfortunately, there are no confirmations given for cake orders by phone. The only time I've ever received a physical confirm was for a cake in MK...as all of their orders are done by email. I sometimes call the week of my trip to ensure they still have my order properly set up in the systems.
I will do that then.
Just nervous that they'll forget about my cake or something lol

ladyelenawf

First off- I ADORE the Cheshire Cat!!! I just LOVE that cake! I have this insane Alice in Wonderland cake idea...one that goes beyond my structural engineering skills. Cakes like this make me want to bite the bullet and hire Mike's Amazing Cakes to make that dream a reality. Too bad I can't justify spending thousands and thousands on the cake.

As for the GF and Pat...it's often a "special" experience working with her. I worked in customer service for a long time and was really put off by Pat's demeanor on our one and only time working together. I'm hoping I can get past it, because I want our cake delivered to Narcoosee's = I have to work with the GF. Looking forward to seeing the cake they make for you :)

Glad you like the cake!! I would love to get some wacky, out of the box cake, but I've seen too many Cake Bosses. If I have to give up a Disney trip to pay for something edible, I just won't eat it. :p

I, too, am looking forward to seeing my cake & am also nervous about not getting any type of confirmation. So I'll make sure to call the 29th & ensure it's in the system.

Here is another cake courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/beserkclothing
10522725_10152709582771153_6302006144953454910_n.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Nice cakes @ladyelenawf :)

I have a few Disney made cakes for you guys in this update.

0L4A0912-XL.jpg

Not too many details on prices for the cakes above, but the next cake was delivered to Crystal Palace and cost $130. I realize they used the HM edible paper for this one, but I would not pay $130 for this cake. Most of the cakes we've seen like this are in the $65-85 range. For $130, I expect fondant and lots of little edible neat things like the picture frames, ghosts, etc.

OK- on the flipside...the GF made this cake below for $68. So, while I think the cake above was a complete and utter ripoff...the cake below was an all out bargain. Bravo to the GF for making a super cool cake!!!

Yes, they took the base for the standard mouse ears topper and made Maleficent horns instead. BRAVO!

This next one is a zebra dome cake from AKL. I'll spare you the poster's novel, but it sounds like AKL had some issues with getting this right...OK, lots of issues.

image133.jpg

This one was delivered to BOG- nice take on the mini wedding cake within the Contemporary's newer strict decorating rules.

image134.jpg

And finally...a Disney made wedding cake. Not quite my thing, but the flowers are pretty and this could easily translate into a single tier special occasion cake.

96b03f1fda11a456cdce0d3bfe0fc28c.jpg
f9e9a2b56248842c439ad70150308550.jpg

And while I don't think any of the bakeries would do a special occasion cake like this, the Disney bakeries will apparently will do one of these naked cakes for weddings...

3b21d199c874b1b26705a31b110e93db.jpg

In this one, it looks like they are just illustrating the cake flavors. Most of the ones I've seen color the tiers to give it pop. Example below...

10450898_10152489232187669_8529404381711310272_n.png

Oh well...I guess it's something you could consider at home. It may seem like a fairly easy concept, but good luck getting nice even layers that are suitable for viewing like this ;)

Laurajane

I will be in disney for Christmas this year and were flying over from the uk. I am wanting to suprise my boyfriends parents with an anniversary cake for when they dine at victoria and alberts. I'm thinking we might have to pick it up from somewhere and take it to v&a ourselves or is there anyway we can keep it secret and have v&a do it for us? Also it be really helpful if you had an email address for any of the bakeries that might be able to help us as I can't ring being from the uk.....seen some beautiful cakes as inspiration though, Thankyou!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I will be in disney for Christmas this year and were flying over from the uk. I am wanting to suprise my boyfriends parents with an anniversary cake for when they dine at victoria and alberts. I'm thinking we might have to pick it up from somewhere and take it to v&a ourselves or is there anyway we can keep it secret and have v&a do it for us? Also it be really helpful if you had an email address for any of the bakeries that might be able to help us as I can't ring being from the uk.....seen some beautiful cakes as inspiration though, Thankyou!!

You will be working with the GF's bakery if you would like a cake delivered to your dinner at V&A. I haven't seen a lot of custom cakes go to V&A since it's already this major dining experience that involves a thoughtfully planned dessert to compliment the rest of the evening's menu. Still, I know some cakes are delivered there and would be handled in similar fashion to other TS restaurants. i.e. the bakery delivers it to the restaurant and your server will bring it to the table when the time is right. I've done several surprise cakes and it should be fairly easy to keep the surprise. I usually confirm at check in (out of earshot) that the cake is there and double check with my server in similar fashion. Word of warning though...the cake will show up on the bill for your meal...so if you want that separated to pay for it- you must tell them.

Unfortunately, they do not offer an email address for initial contact. They "may" allow you to do some design communications via email after making initial contact by phone, but they will likely still require you to work with them by telephone to finalize your order and billing information. Cakes for delivery to Magic Kingdom restaurants are the only ones that can be done strictly by email contact- so no help there. I know there have been people have success with international calls to the various WDW bakeries, so you will have to look into time differences and international dialing options if you would like to place a cake order.

Allygator

Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, I just saw a wedding cake posted on FB disney world junkies page. It's a projection cake. The cake is multi-layered,- all white. Tinkerbell was flying all over the cake and Cinderella's carriage was strolling along the layers too. Very beautiful. I can only imagine what it costs. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom