WDW Withdrawals

bee

Original Poster
How many states away are you locating to? Every time I look at a map and see the distance from Maine (where I am) to Florida I cry. I have a sign in my Disney room that reminds me that I am 1400+ miles from WDW. Theres no way to stop the pain, you just have to bear it and look forward to the day you can begin the plans to book the next trip back. If you still have relatives in FL theres a better chance of having reasons to revisit. Good luck with relocating and with your future endeavors.
We are moving to New Jersey. So, if I am counting correctly on the map, seven. ):

Get out your checkbook register and review how much you spent on your last trip? That works every time for me.
HA! I shall try this!

JIMINYCR

UGH, that's quite a distance. I'm just about up there with ya, but not quite; just shy of 1100 miles away in Texas. How long is your flight, usually? Do you ever get to fly direct or do you usually get stuck with connecting flights?

P.S. There is a link up above to a thread I created asking for help on how to deal with post-trip depression, and people gave some great tips. I hope it helps ya!

When we flew we were always able to get direct flights which lasted about 3 hours, not too bad to take. Most flights were uneventful, but we eventually ran into problems. My DW is in a power w/c and 2 times the airline baggage handlers dropped the chair while loading or unloading it, and twice they let it roll off the back of their trucks while transporting it to the gates. All 4 times the damage was unrepairable and my DW had to suffer being uncomfortable, seated in a bent framed w/c, or dealing with broken parts, while at Disney. So last year we decided to drive for the first time which took 3 days, around 24 hours driving total. And we arrived with the w/c in perfect shape. Yes, 1400+ miles is a distance but I remind myself its still better than having to travel from out of country.

JIMINYCR

We are moving to New Jersey. So, if I am counting correctly on the map, seven.
Last year we met friends in NJ and followed them to WDW. Took us 2 days from NJ with a stop in Savannah GA.
Boy was I glad when we hit the FL line. Then the anticipation of reaching the WDW property just about killed me. Never having driven before, I didnt realize how long we were having to drive on rte 4. Finally reaching and driving under the WDW archway, I'm yelling with joy like when I was a kid on Christmas morning.

lebeau

I find that the more I go, the less I want to go back. Our trip in May/June was perfectly pleasant. But it pretty much cured me of the desire to go back any time soon. It is my goal not to return until after Disney opens something new worth seeing. So Avland I guess. That gives me at least a few years to do other things.

There are a lot of other places to go and things to do. While Disney World is relatively stagnant, I find I just don't miss it. And when I think about the price tag, I don't miss it at all!

DfromATX

UGH, that's quite a distance. I'm just about up there with ya, but not quite; just shy of 1100 miles away in Texas. How long is your flight, usually? Do you ever get to fly direct or do you usually get stuck with connecting flights?
QUOTE]

Hey, I'm in Texas too (Austin). We often find direct flights (sometimes have to stop in Atlanta) and the tickets are usually around $300, not too bad. We usually leave early in the morning to try to arrive for a late lunch. And now my husband has enough points from a credit card that we can fly free next time - all six of us!! But, like someone else said, we will wait for a few years before we go again - hoping to go when Avatarland opens.

Disneydreamer23

I feel this way alot right now due to my last trip was feb 2013 because we had out daughter in May, This september will be 19 months total and I have NEVER been away from Disney for more than 11 months since I was 17, Its been hard and I NEVER want to wait this long again EVER!

MDactor1980

I'm an outlier in WDW trips on the forum, since I'm from out of town and we do annual quick trips. It started when we got engaged on MLK weekend in 2012. We did EC and MK. We had such a great time we wanted to be back almost as soon as we got home (natch). So we came back in 2013 (MK & DHS) and 2014 (MK, AK, & US/IOA) on MLK weekend. The long weekend made travelling not so bad - 2 park days 1.5 travel days (leave after work on Thursday or Friday and home on Monday). We live near Baltimore, and it being one Southwest hub to another (Orlando) flights are WAY cheaper than driving ever would be, and relatively easy to get flights. In 2012 and 2013 we stayed onsite (GF then CR), but in 2014 we stayed off site. The savings were measurable, and enticed us to make that the new normal. We're headed back in October for the events at MK & EC, but will skip MLK weekend in 2015.

I don't say all this to be braggy... but I try and convince other people that this is a viable option. The combination of being child-free (at least for another 2 years), and knowing we'll be back allows us some flexibility and relieve from the "gotta do it all" state of mind. I also prefer this to a week long trip. That might be overkill for us. For now, I like long weekends in WDW, then saving the week long vacations for other destinations!

bee

Original Poster
I'm an outlier in WDW trips on the forum, since I'm from out of town and we do annual quick trips....The combination of being child-free (at least for another 2 years), and knowing we'll be back allows us some flexibility and relieve from the "gotta do it all" state of mind. I also prefer this to a week long trip. That might be overkill for us. For now, I like long weekends in WDW, then saving the week long vacations for other destinations!
This might become our norm as well. We are used to weekend trips anyway from our years in Florida and we have done pretty much everything so we don't feel the need to do every single attraction on every single trip.

Amyleigh

When my husband told me he wanted to take the kids to Disney World I was disappointed. I would rather hit the beach or hike mountains. I had gone once when I was a kid and remembered nothing. I've been to Disneyland as an adult and that did not make a good impression on me. I have to say, once I started planning the trip, I was hooked. We had an unbelievable time and I am dying to go back. Now that my husband has been once, and spent a crazy amount of money, he doesn't care to go back. He enjoyed himself but feels like if we are going to spend so much money he'd rather do something different. I have to go back. I fell in love with Disney World. I don't like wondering if I will ever get a chance to return to the happiest place on earth.

AndyS2992

The "Happiest Place on Earth" is Disneyland.
You say that every time someone makes that mistake :hilarious: I don't think it really matters personally but here is what they officially are if people are wondering:

Disneyland: The Happiest Place on Earth

Walt Disney World: The Place Where Dreams Come True [Vacation Kingdom of the World and Most Magical Place on Earth are also still acceptable although these are old]

Californian Elitist

You say that every time someone makes that mistake :hilarious: I don't think it really matters personally but here is what they officially are if people are wondering:

Disneyland: The Happiest Place on Earth

Walt Disney World: The Place Where Dreams Come True [Vacation Kingdom of the World and Most Magical Place on Earth are also still acceptable although these are old]

Yep, I sure do, and I'll continue doing so. You can't have two happiest places on earth.

Correct, Magic Kingdom is the "Most Magical Place on Earth".

Matt_Black

When my husband told me he wanted to take the kids to Disney World I was disappointed. I would rather hit the beach or hike mountains. I had gone once when I was a kid and remembered nothing. I've been to Disneyland as an adult and that did not make a good impression on me. I have to say, once I started planning the trip, I was hooked. We had an unbelievable time and I am dying to go back. Now that my husband has been once, and spent a crazy amount of money, he doesn't care to go back. He enjoyed himself but feels like if we are going to spend so much money he'd rather do something different. I have to go back. I fell in love with Disney World. I don't like wondering if I will ever get a chance to return to the happiest place on earth.

Go without him. Get him and the kids to go camping or something, and you go with some girlfriends

AndyS2992

Yep, I sure do, and I'll continue doing so. You can't have two happiest places on earth.

Correct, Magic Kingdom is the "Most Magical Place on Earth".
It is indeed, although I was doing just the resorts as a whole.

2vsixcl.jpg

walt-disney-world-where-dreams-come-true-logo.jpg

But I just saw this:
DisneylandResortBlue-main_Full.jpg

o_O
Does Disneyland still use this even though Year of a Million Dreams is long gone?

Last edited:

DisneyDavO

We are from Jersey, and if you drive straight through, it is only about 17 hours! Well, you need at least 2 or 3 drivers, but it's not really that bad!

Chernaboggles

We are from Jersey, and if you drive straight through, it is only about 17 hours! Well, you need at least 2 or 3 drivers, but it's not really that bad!

We're from Northeastern PA and it's about the same for us. Last year we did one short day (4 or 5 hours) and one long one (13 hours) with a hotel stop overnight - a bit past Savannah, GA on the way down and just outside of Washington, DC on the way back. If we fly out of Newark or NYC, the flight is a little over 2 hours, I think.

With two adults and a dog, it was a pleasant drive. Might be harder with kids, unless they enjoy road trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom