WDW Withdrawals

bee

Original Poster
I have lived in Florida for over 18 years and my GF was born and raised here. We both have been to WDW MANY times and have sung in Candlelight as well as at resorts during the holiday season as part of a caroling group. We have gone for free almost every time due to our connections and performing. A little over a year ago we decided to buy Epcot After 4pm passes since Epcot is our favorite park and the cost was less than the combined cost of two day tickets. We ended up going in the park 23 times (not 23 separate trips but 23 park entrances). We even went to MK once during the year (using a free ticket from someone who still carols in the resorts!).

Now our passes have expired and we are moving out of state to pursue greater professional opportunities. The last trip we took was for her birthday and we stayed in a resort and used the Disney transportation and had an overall lovely Disney-immersion trip. We thought since we went so many times last year and went out with a bang we would satisfy our need to constantly be at WDW and Epcot in particular.

Well...NOPE. I am having major WDW withdrawals. The uncertainty of when our next trip will be, the possibility that it could be years from now, the knowledge that we can't just take a spontaneous weekend trip from Miami...

Have any of you experienced this? How can I stop it??

ProfSavage

I grew up in Volusia County, sang in Candelight every year in high school, family had APs... Been living in Georgia now for almost a decade. I feel the pain. I have withdrawals every summer, totally understand! I haven't visited since 2006. The struggle is real.

bee

Original Poster
I grew up in Volusia County, sang in Candelight every year in high school, family had APs... Been living in Georgia now for almost a decade. I feel the pain. I have withdrawals every summer, totally understand! I haven't visited since 2006. The struggle is real.

Georgia? You are still close!

I take comfort in knowing that her parents still live in Duval and when we visit them for Christmas there's a good change a Disney trip will occur...

Fun fact, I was a singer at Candlelight 5 years (4 in HS and once first year of college) and a director one year (which means I actually got to watch without standing in line for hours!).

C&D

We usually go twice a year (5 or 6 day stays on property) and towards the end we anticipate getting back home, but almost inevitably on our way home, we lament having had to leave and begin planning for our next visit.

ProfSavage

Georgia? You are still close!

I take comfort in knowing that her parents still live in Duval and when we visit them for Christmas there's a good change a Disney trip will occur...

Fun fact, I was a singer at Candlelight 5 years (4 in HS and once first year of college) and a director one year (which means I actually got to watch without standing in line for hours!).

Well, we are still a good 8 hours or so to Orlando from here. And it's more of a finance issue. Just finished grad school in November and started a new job in December that doesn't really pay me a comparable wage to my education. Hopefully that'll change soon!

bee

Original Poster
I feel you! When I finished grad school and started getting my "monthly reminder that I have a Master's degree"...it was a sad day.

Last edited:

ProfSavage

I feel you! When I finished grad school and started getting my "monthly reminder that I have a Master's degree"...it was a sad day.

I hate that reminder. I also work for a non-profit. So yeah, overworked and underpaid. I'm not asking for much, but just another 5-10k a year would be really nice right now.

ajkirby

I feel your pain - I think it may be even worse for people (like me) living overseas. I know if I want another 2 week trip to the world (i've only had one in september 2011) then I would have to save another £5000 (or $8500). It costs so much for us abroad guys and I miss it so much!! :(

SagamoreBeach

I feel your pain - I think it may be even worse for people (like me) living overseas. I know if I want another 2 week trip to the world (i've only had one in september 2011) then I would have to save another £5000 (or $8500). It costs so much for us abroad guys and I miss it so much!! :(

You can do it!!!

JIMINYCR

we are moving out of state to pursue greater professional opportunities..I am having major WDW withdrawals. The uncertainty of when our next trip will be, the possibility that it could be years from now, the knowledge that we can't just take a spontaneous weekend trip from Miami...Have any of you experienced this? How can I stop it??
How many states away are you locating to? Every time I look at a map and see the distance from Maine (where I am) to Florida I cry. I have a sign in my Disney room that reminds me that I am 1400+ miles from WDW. Theres no way to stop the pain, you just have to bear it and look forward to the day you can begin the plans to book the next trip back. If you still have relatives in FL theres a better chance of having reasons to revisit. Good luck with relocating and with your future endeavors.

Mr Anderson

How many states away are you locating to? Every time I look at a map and see the distance from Maine (where I am) to Florida I cry. I have a sign in my Disney room that reminds me that I am 1400+ miles from WDW. Theres no way to stop the pain, you just have to bear it and look forward to the day you can begin the plans to book the next trip back. If you still have relatives in FL theres a better chance of having reasons to revisit. Good luck with relocating and with your future endeavors.
UGH, that's quite a distance. I'm just about up there with ya, but not quite; just shy of 1100 miles away in Texas. How long is your flight, usually? Do you ever get to fly direct or do you usually get stuck with connecting flights?

P.S. There is a link up above to a thread I created asking for help on how to deal with post-trip depression, and people gave some great tips. I hope it helps ya!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom