WDW with a 13-month old

shmily

Hello everyone! Some of you may think we're crazy but my DH and I are taking our DD down to WDW in August. She will almost be 13 months old. With my DH being in the Navy, living in SC and trying to get stationed out of WA, we thought this might be our first and last family trip for a while as to he will be out to sea once we get to our new duty station. Growing up, my parents took my sister and I to WDW or DL almost every year which we loved. What I wanted to know was if anyone has any advice as to what to see, what to avoid (besides the obvious things like Space Mtn and BTMR), when to go where, etc. Any positive feedback would be deeply appreciated.

slowbee

We just got back from WDW last Friday with our 17th month old. It's her 4th trip ( 8 months, 11 months & 13 months). Each time she enjoyed being there. She was always looking around, point at things etc. We took her on anything she was eligible to ride. Never once cried in the Haunted Mansion, loved it's a small world, etc. She loves Mickey Mouse. Some of her first steps are walking to mickey mouse to give him a hug. I have a bunch of friends who tell me that they don't want to take their younger children to WDW because they won't remember... but those precious moments where I got to watch that is pricessless.

My biggest suggestion would be make sure you have a Snugglie/Backpack carrier with you when going to see shows (Fantasmic) or are going to do some walking around the World Showcase. That made my life so much easier when we were planning on doing some shopping and pushing around a stoller was just becoming a pain. Plus it allows your child to get some rest when you don't have to carry around a restless baby.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

The first time we took our son, he was 10 months old and quite enthralled with Small World (he's since outgrown that now that he's 16 :lol: ). He doesn't remember much about it, but we had a great time with him and his 5-year-old sister. Just take things easy, and be sure to give her plenty of fluids.

Have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

bears163

for one it will most likely be crowded in august. we are going the end of sept. with our 4y, 6y & 7 month old. it will be crazy but there is no way would i do it while it is crowded. but just take your time. make sure your stoller has a canopy to block out the sun. good luck & have a great time

Upvote 0

durangojim

Make sure you take a break in the middle of the day to recouperate and enjoy the pool. We were there when my son was 1 1/2 months, 3 months, 9 months, and are going back when he'll be 13 months. Just have to take it easy and everything will be great. Also use kids nite out if you and your husband want a day or evening to yourselves.

Upvote 0

parker kim

Will be going in Oct. With a 14,7,and 11 1/2 month old. Its what you make of it. We had our DD There when she was 2 1/2 and it was great She had a great time she dose'ent remember much So it give you a reason to go back as they get older.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I think i would personaly bring my first kid once they hit 1. As a infant i think it would be more of a hassle in my opinion. But i have time so i have no kids yet.

Upvote 0

Frosty466

When we went last June/July it was with our 3 kids; 7y, 5 1/2y, and 5 1/2m. The baby was fine, just have plenty of water and/or juice on hand for everybody-remember you will be hold the little one and will need to be refreshed too! We also purchased one of those little foam rubber bladed personal fans on a lanyard and hung it from the canopy of the stroller to give DD a constant breeze, she seemed to appreciated that...at least after we did that her little face wasn't quite so flushed.
The DD baby was all enthralled with the colors, sounds, movements and seeing the joyfull look on her face was priceless to me, even if she won't remember the trip.

Upvote 0

coltow

Fantastic! She will have fun. A few words of advice. Bring your stroller from home, she'll be way more comfortable. Unless you're driving (so you can go to Walmart), bring all your baby supplies (diaper, wipes, snacks, etc) from home too, they are really expensive and the selection is very small. Also don't forget your camera &/or video camera the memories are priceless and you'll enjoy looking at them for years to come.

My son is 2 1/2 (in 2 weeks) will be there for the 3rd time, his 1st was at 8 months. He enjoys all the rides at MK and loves seeing the animals at AK. He hated EPCOT and only really like Playhouse Disney and the Muppet show at MGM.

Going in August, it'll be HOT, bring lots of sunblock and re-apply every few hours. I also bring a few changes of clothes every day, just in case. I also bring a face cloth in a ziploc bag so I can keep wetting him down to keep his temperature down.

Finally take full advantage of the baby stations at each park. They are amazing. They are quiet, cool and a great place to relax for a few and stop for a feeding or snack, away from all the craziness of the parks.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

Do bring your stroller from home and if it is a dark color bring a cover for it that is a light color. Darker colors absorb the heat and in the florida sun they can actually burn a baby. Babys R Us sell them -- we got a very thick comfy Pooh one but they also have ones that are made from Terry Cloth. Also, make sure your stroller has a canopy on it. Refrigerate a pack of baby wipes the night before you go to the park and use those for wiping faces and hands during the day to help cool down. They can also be used for wiping changing tables inthe parks and toilet seats. Freeze bottles of water the night before and use them for keeping things cool in your bag and for drinking as they thaw out. Make sure you bring sun screen, and things like baby tylenol/motrin just in case.

As for what to do -- anything! Character meals, It's a small world, etc. Schedule time at the hotel pool for rests during the hottest part of the day. But most of all don't try to do everything, take it slow and enjoy.

Upvote 0

olive10tails

We're taking our two month old in September for the first time. We are seasoning him early! Our May trip was postponed due to preg complications, but we can't live without our annual fix! From what I've been told, let the child set the pace. Take breaks, go swimming; it's a totally different pace than when there was two of you. 13 months is a good age-talking somewhat, easy to entertain. You should have a great time! We are thinking of sending down a box with diapers, formula, etc before we arrive as to not take up packing space. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

shmily

Original Poster
Thanks to all! These have all been great suggestions. Some of them are things I would never have thought of which is great! Keep them coming!

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We took our son for the first time when he was 2 along with my sister's family, including a 1 year old. The best advice is to go at the pace of the child. If yours starts to get cranky, go back to the hotel & take a nap. We do every day we are there, even before we had our son.

Take snacks with you and make sure your little one drinks plenty of water. If yours has started sippy cups, get some toss and go cups from walmart. They are very affordable and great because you can throw them out when you are done. The parks will give you a cup of ice & even a cup of ice water for free.

The first time we took our umbrella stroller. Its easier to get on and off the buses than the great big ones. Last year, we just rented a stroller. It was much easier because we didn't have to lug a stroller on and off the buses. It can be very difficult to find your own stroller in the parking areas. We make name tags of our own, tie strings as well as a piece of bright colored cloth to the handles so we could spot our stroller. We got a piece of bright neon yellow material at walmart and just tied it to the stoller handle. We knew which one was ours.

You will have a great time seeing WDW through the eyes of your little one. Just remember it will be a much slower pace.:)

Upvote 0

coltow

MinnieSummer said:
Do bring your stroller from home and if it is a dark color bring a cover for it that is a light color. Darker colors absorb the heat and in the florida sun they can actually burn a baby. Babys R Us sell them -- we got a very thick comfy Pooh one but they also have ones that are made from Terry Cloth. Also, make sure your stroller has a canopy on it.
I usually just bring a white towel with me that I drape over the storller when DS is not in it or if he's going to be in it for awhile (parade watching) then I have him sit on it.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

coltow said:
I usually just bring a white towel with me that I drape over the storller when DS is not in it or if he's going to be in it for awhile (parade watching) then I have him sit on it.

That's why I go broke all the time, I never think of simple solutions like that. I see the problem and pay a lot of money to fix it rather than think of something that simple.

Upvote 0

maharet97a

BABY CARE CENTERS!!! All the parks have them, and they're fantastic for changing diapers, plus they sell (fairly reasonably) anything you may have forgotten or lost (diapers, bottles, wipes, formula). They also have nursing rooms with gliders, if you still nurse and are a great place to cool off a hot, cranky baby. They're air conditioned and have a water cooler for moms and dads as well as snacks for sale (and from what I've seen, not very crowded). For older kiddies, they have kid sized potties as well. We've taken both of our girls since they were 10 months old, and another great program Disney offers, is Child Swap. If you and your husband both want to ride a ride that the kids can't go on, tell the CM at the end of the queue line that you want to do Baby (or Child) Swap. They will give you a Fastpass-like ticket. The person that asks for the pass should take the baby with them, as some CM's won't give them without seeing the child. The first adult (or group of adults if travelling with more) stands in the line and rides the ride as normal. When they are done, the second adult ( or adults, the ticket is usually good for at least two people) then takes the pass and goes to the Fastpass entrance or in the case of some rides the entrance for riders needing assistence ( the HM is one that does this now) and gets to ride without having to stand in the standby queue again. It's a great program that not may people take advantage of. Also, if you need supplies while you're down, since you're military, check out the AAFES store at Shades of Green, the DOD resort.

Upvote 0

coltow

MinnieSummer said:
That's why I go broke all the time, I never think of simple solutions like that. I see the problem and pay a lot of money to fix it rather than think of something that simple.

LOL
...and I never knew that I could buy something to replace my navy blue stroller cover. I just knew I would need something and just borrowed a towel from my hotel room.

Upvote 0

shmily

Original Poster
coltow said:
LOL
...and I never knew that I could buy something to replace my navy blue stroller cover. I just knew I would need something and just borrowed a towel from my hotel room.

You two are too funny! I honestly didn't even think about her navy blue stroller becoming so hot! :brick: We'll definitely have to bring something to cover it up with. Thanks a bunch for the ideas!

Upvote 0

Javier Boughton

im taking this year my daughter and son..they will be 9 months and almost 2 years old respectively..

last time I went to disneyworld I took my son of 6 months and the only thing you would need is a stroller.

we just return of a vacation to Cancun and currently they are 5 1/2 and 18 months old and a doble stroller is all we need when they got tired and need a nap.

that a great thing about going into a ride with small children, the change from a hot climate (outside) to a cool climate (inside the ride) they go to sleep almost immediately!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom