WDW wins Turkeys (take that DL!)

shoppingnut

That's my vote. :sohappy:

Seriously, this is truly the dumbest tradition ever - the "president" pardoning a turkey. I wish they would just end it; does anyone really care? :confused:

If everyone thought like you, we would have no traditions at all because you will always find someone who thinks a particular tradition is dumb.

If everyone thought like you, we would have no traditions at all because you will always find someone who thinks a particular tradition is dumb.

Yikes, we're talking about turkeys and you come out with the personal attack. Nicely done! :hammer:

Seriously, traditions exist because of the meaning behind them which extend beyond their original intent. We celebrate Thanksgiving, not just as a remembrance of the Pilgrims and Native Americans coming together (which is more legend than fact), but as a day on which we all count our many blessings. Pardoning turkeys is not a "tradition"; it's a photo op. And I repeat: a dumb one, at that.

shoppingnut

Yikes, we're talking about turkeys and you come out with the personal attack. Nicely done! :hammer:

Seriously, traditions exist because of the meaning behind them which extend beyond their original intent. We celebrate Thanksgiving, not just as a remembrance of the Pilgrims and Native Americans coming together (which is more legend than fact), but as a day on which we all count our many blessings. Pardoning turkeys is not a "tradition"; it's a photo op. And I repeat: a dumb one, at that.

There is also a lesson to be learned from the pardoning of the turkey, too, in that the President has the power to pardon someone from being executed. So it's more than a photo op.

According to webster's, a tradition is defined as: "an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)." Since the pardoning of the turkey has been done for 50+ years, I think it qualifies as a tradition.

Brian_WDW74

According to webster's, a tradition is defined as: "an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)." Since the pardoning of the turkey has been done for 50+ years, I think it qualifies as a tradition.

Actually, it hasn't been done for 50+ years. The story that it began with Truman is false. According to snopes.com, it started much later than that: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/pardon.asp

There is also a lesson to be learned from the pardoning of the turkey, too, in that the President has the power to pardon someone from being executed. So it's more than a photo op.

Yes, it is a lesson to be learned, and I learned it in 2nd grade.

Brian_WDW74 said:
Actually, it hasn't been done for 50+ years. The story that it began with Truman is false. According to snopes.com, it started much later than that: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/pardon.asp

Thanks for the schooling on that. It's very interesting that it began with Poppa Bush; never knew that.

wdwCC

Mr. Turkey you just got pardoned by the president, where are you going? "Gobble, I'm going to Disneyworld". :ROFLOL:

Crazy4WDW1

If anyone can get a photo of the turkeys as the grand marshall, please take one and post it! Do they ride in the car??? :ROFLOL:

Gorjus

This is cool. Toon Town is usually left out of the cool things, except recently when celebrating Mickey's and Minnie's birthday and now hosting the turkeys.

For those who didn't follow the link, the tradition does not date back to Pres. Truman, but rather Pres. Bush Sr. It was made well known by the TV show West Wing.

Having said that, Toon Town does not have a place to grab food for the cast. It is also not an easy trip to get to a place that has food for the cast. So, while it might be nice that they are offering a free or very reduced price Turkey dinner to each cast member, it isn't easy to take advantage of that when you are in Toon Town. So, if anyone smells something cooking in Toon Town...well, keep a close eye on those Turkeys.
:drevil:

Peaches Magee

You know when we went about a month ago... honestly... there were wild turkeys just on the side of the road on property... anyone else seen this?
We just found it soooo strange. hehe

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You know when we went about a month ago... honestly... there were wild turkeys just on the side of the road on property... anyone else seen this?
We just found it soooo strange. hehe

Yep. We saw one on the new Western Way entrance. Saw it there two out of the three times we went that route.

Gorjus

Turkey Update. The two turkeys arrived via "Turkey 1", kind of like AirForce 1. No lie, that is what the van had written on the side of it. After their time in the 10 AM parade where neither one died, they headed out to Toon Town right outside Mickey's house. They were huge, white, with pink and purple faces. They were a bit fiesty and gobbled a bit. It was fun to have them there. Ah the jokes that flew.

And yes, I see the wild turkeys all the time.

In hind sight, serving 10's of thousands of cast members a triptophane laced meal on one of the busiest days of the year may not be wise. Talk about a sleepy bunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom