WDW Wildlife

hp200lx

Original Poster
Has anyone else noticed an increase in furry wildlife at WDW especially Epcot? I noticed a lot of wildlife out and about in Disney this past August.When i visited last October, the only creatures I saw roaming the parks was the ubiquitous ducks. In August I saw rabbits roaming around munching on bushes in FW and hordes of squirrels in WS. Has anyone seen this as well? Here's a couple pics from August, including a little birdy friend that kept my brother and me company at Animal Kingdom

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

...and squeeky the epcot squirrel, where else but Disney can you get a squirrel to eat out of your hand:lol:

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There has always been quite a bit of wildlife in and around the parks. Last weekend alone I saw several deer at Ft wilderness, multiple rabbits, a flock of wild turkeys and armadillos. In the past I have seen alligators, snakes, wild hogs, any number of birds including several hawks, and even a river otter.

hp200lx

Original Poster
There has always been quite a bit of wildlife in and around the parks. Last weekend alone I saw several deer at Ft wilderness, multiple rabbits, a flock of wild turkeys and armadillos. In the past I have seen alligators, snakes, wild hogs, any number of birds including several hawks, and even a river otter.
Did you take any pictures of them? If so, post them! That would make for a great photo thread, for everyone to post wildlife they've seen around the parks(well besides the obvious on the safari and such at AK)!

Horizons1

Just several weeks ago I was riding the monorail from the Contemporary to the TTC when I happened to look down and see two deer underneath the monorail track. I've seen many rabbits all over property. I was able to get pretty close to one at the GF. There's a multitude of wildlife all over WDW. Always has been, always will be.

ThinkTink721

Last summer, we saw rabbits & squirrels at POR.
This year, we saw plenty or ducks & some rabbits at Pop.
The ducks would come right up to us & even eat out of our hand!
:D

littlemom_3

Just last week I saw a couple of deer, several rare Florida squirrels and at least 2 rabbits. I am unsure if I got any pictures but will look and post them if I did.

DisneyGigi

We always see the crazy birds, those things kill me at how tame they are!
And bunnies/squirrels and of course the lovely anoles that the kids try to catch...:eek:
Here are a few pics that I have snapped...

An alligator in the water in DAK at the Dawa Bar area.

100_1557.jpg

Pesky birds at Epcot trying to con me out of my churro..

100_1195.jpg

Crazy bird at MK FL (the bird... really)

100_0245.jpg

Ducks at Epcot

10A.jpg

Black crane (?) at MK

100_1640.jpg

hp200lx

Original Poster
We always see the crazy birds, those things kill me at how tame they are!
And bunnies/squirrels and of course the lovely anoles that the kids try to catch...:eek:
Here are a few pics that I have snapped...

An alligator in the water in DAK at the Dawa Bar area.

100_1557.jpg

Pesky birds at Epcot trying to con me out of my churro..

100_1195.jpg

Crazy bird at MK FL (the bird... really)

100_0245.jpg

Ducks at Epcot

10A.jpg

Black crane (?) at MK

100_1640.jpg

I LOVE THESE PICS! Those are awesome. The ultra calm igrates(sp?) and cranes amuse me. I've had my own encounters with them.

IMG_2074.jpg

I loved seeing the ducks, bunnies and squirrels at WDW, it reminded me of home.

DisneyGigi

I LOVE THESE PICS! Those are awesome. The ultra calm igrates(sp?) and cranes amuse me. I've had my own encounters with them.

IMG_2074.jpg

I loved seeing the ducks, bunnies and squirrels at WDW, it reminded me of home.

Thank you and wow that is a really pretty picture! I love the Cranes, they are so pretty. :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did you take any pictures of them? If so, post them! That would make for a great photo thread, for everyone to post wildlife they've seen around the parks(well besides the obvious on the safari and such at AK)!
I would but I am almost always behind the wheel when we see the big stuff like turkeys and deer. My wife complains enough about my driving without me trying to take pictures while doing so. :eek:

One of the best places to see deer at WDW is on the purple bus route at Ft Wilderness, especially at night. I have yet to have a trip there where I did not see at least one. Two trips ago there were so many that the bus driver kept having to stop to let them cross the road.

Phonedave

Aside from the everywhere ducks and birds I have seen

River otters at the fishing hole at PO:R (yea, no fish left in that hole to catch - otter food :) )

Rabbits by the ton last week at POP

Amadillos alongside the road outside of PO:R

Deer all over the place on the side of the road. Both from busses and the monorail.

-dave

marine1

dumb question can someone explain this to me

what is dak or what does it stand for. it took me about a week trying to figure out what sse was. so ya acroynms isnt my thing lol.

iKat

This thread reminded me of one of the things that made me really love Disney.

My hubby and I were staying at the French Quarter about 2 years ago, and there was a hurt squirrel, running in circles because its legs were hurt. There was a supervisor standing guard of the poor little guy, and said that they were waiting for the vet to come to get him.

I know this might not have been the whole truth, but I really like to believe it that way - and maybe it's silly, but that made me so happy to see them do that for the little guy, and was really a wow moment for me with Disney.

Ringo8n24

We have noticed an increase in deer at WDW. We saw so many on these past two trips compared to others. We also saw a skunk walking along the banks of the water across the street from POR as we were leaving on the bus. You could not miss him being black and white against this clean cut, green grass. We saw lots of rabbits, more than usual, at POR and WL, too.

Figment82

Okay guys, I am a total bird lover, so pardon my nerdiness - but we're going to have a little ornithology lesson here. Impress your friends that you will actually KNOW what the birds are - instead of just making stuff up. Here are descriptions and names of the more commonly found (and commonly misnamed) birds on WDW property, let me know if you have any questions.

The tall white birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Egret
The tall greyish-blue birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Blue Heron
The small white birds with long necks, sharp pointed bill, yellow feet = Snowy Egret
The small white birds with pink faces and long curved beaks = Ibis
The black birds with long curving neck, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Comorant
The black birds with long *white* curving neck and head, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Anhinga
Black obnoxious birds that are almost iridescent = Common Grackle
Small Black bird with red patch on the tip of its face, very large greenish-yellow feet = Common Gallinule/Moorhen
Tall grey bird with red patch on its head = Sandhill Crane

lunarsquid

Okay guys, I am a total bird lover, so pardon my nerdiness - but we're going to have a little ornithology lesson here. Impress your friends that you will actually KNOW what the birds are - instead of just making stuff up. Here are descriptions and names of the more commonly found (and commonly misnamed) birds on WDW property, let me know if you have any questions.

The tall white birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Egret
The tall greyish-blue birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Blue Heron
The small white birds with long necks, sharp pointed bill, yellow feet = Snowy Egret
The small white birds with pink faces and long curved beaks = Ibis
The black birds with long curving neck, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Comorant
The black birds with long *white* curving neck and head, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Anhinga
Black obnoxious birds that are almost iridescent = Common Grackle
Small Black bird with red patch on the tip of its face, very large greenish-yellow feet = Common Gallinule/Moorhen
Tall grey bird with red patch on its head = Sandhill Crane

interesting... i always just say, "hey, check out Brer Bird over there."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom