WDW w/disability

hrmom26

hi all

Since i was last at Disney i was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis now i can walk and so on but i just can't do it for very long periods. has anyone had any experience with going to Disney with a disability like this? what are my options? is a wheelchair my only one? and does any one has any tips on surviving a trip with this disease? i have two children who to be honest have yet to see me in a wheelchair so i am a little hesitant about that i also don't know what kind they have for instance if i needed one and it was a push one i wouldn't most likely be able to push myself with out hurting my hands, elbows, and shoulder joints. So i would end up having to have one of my children do that which i am not so keen on. they are 11 and 14 so not baby's but not really old either lol. i also weirdly enough feel uncomfortable about the wheelchair i am only 35 and i am still adjusting to this myself and my limitations for a single working mother it's not so easy to have to depend on someone else to do things i am so not used to that lol anyway any help anyone can give or advice would be appreciated

thanks

Heather

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You best option will more than likely be one of those electric carts. Since you can walk for short distances you could treat it kind of like a stroller in that you can park it with the strollers and walk into the attraction. We did something similar with my mom (except we used a wheel chair) and it worked out quite well.

Upvote 0

hrmom26

Original Poster
You best option will more than likely be one of those electric carts. Since you can walk for short distances you could treat it kind of like a stroller in that you can park it with the strollers and walk into the attraction. We did something similar with my mom (except we used a wheel chair) and it worked out quite well.

thanks i will look into that i didn't even know they had them now is that something that they have a limited number of? and could i reserve one ahead of time?

thanks so much!!

heather

Upvote 0

tikiman

My dad just had knee surgery and after part of a day in the parks he was in bed at the hotel for 24 hours because of the swelling. He never considered getting a wheelchair but a friends dad was there with one of the motorized scooter type chairs and talked my dad into trying it. He was so glad he did and it got him around the parks. It gave him a way to get to all the rides and so he only had to walk around when getting on the rides. Some of the electric wheelchairs are available at MK and Epcot but they are limited quantity. There are offsite companies that will deliver and pick up one at your resort that you can rent per day. Also consider staying at a resort that has large rooms and even rooms that are handicap accessible. Like the Polynesian rooms that are large enough to get the scooter into. Also the Polynesian has quick transportation options to the parks including the monorail that can be rolled onto and the large ferry to the MK that you can roll onto.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
thanks i will look into that i didn't even know they had them now is that something that they have a limited number of? and could i reserve one ahead of time?

thanks so much!!

heather
Yes they have them in the parks and there are a limited number of them. If you are there at park opening it is typically not a problem but it can become an issue if you park hop as you can not take them out of the park. There are also outside companies that will rent them to you and drop them off at your resort. However, this means taking them on the bus which is a bit of a hassle and it will draw attention and it sounds like you want to avoid that.

This link will take you to an article that will give you all the pros and cons for each option as well as prices and contact numbers.

http://allears.net/pl/ecv_faq.htm

Upvote 0

hrmom26

Original Poster
Yes they have them in the parks and there are a limited number of them. If you are there at park opening it is typically not a problem but it can become an issue if you park hop as you can not take them out of the park. There are also outside companies that will rent them to you and drop them off at your resort. However, this means taking them on the bus which is a bit of a hassle and it will draw attention and it sounds like you want to avoid that.

This link will take you to an article that will give you all the pros and cons for each option as well as prices and contact numbers.

thank you so much for the article it has nailed most of my fears right on the head lol this being one of the biggest

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you don't usually have wheels, you may feel uneasy about using a scooter or chair. You may imagine that people think you are faking an illness or injury - especially if you "look OK" and are able to leave your chair or scooter and walk around. You may want to prepare an answer "just in case"; though I have found that looking people directly in the eye and giving them a big *smile* wards off any problem with adults. If a child asks me, "What's wrong with you?", I answer "I hurt my back and it's hard for me to walk a lot." You alone must decide what information you want to share. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- For yourself and your family: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be realistic. Even if you feel pretty good, you may not be able to handle the physical demands of a day at a theme park. I have to remind myself that I can do a certain amount on my own two feet, or I can do a whole lot *more* if I use the wheels. Don't let pride wear you out.[/FONT]

i have book marked it lol so i can reread it later thanks

Heather

Upvote 0

You can't take them out of the park, but it is just like a stroller, so if you hop to a different park, you only have to show them your reciept at the next park to get your ride. My mom has 2 artifical knees, and we have rented for her before. She has her own now, and it is possible to take them on the busses, it is not too much of a hassle, and the bus drivers are all very knowledgable about getting you on and off the bus with your chair.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can't take them out of the park, but it is just like a stroller, so if you hop to a different park, you only have to show them your reciept at the next park to get your ride. My mom has 2 artifical knees, and we have rented for her before. She has her own now, and it is possible to take them on the busses, it is not too much of a hassle, and the bus drivers are all very knowledgable about getting you on and off the bus with your chair.
Correct. You can not take the Disney rentals out of the park but the one rented to you by an outside company can be removed from the park. That is what I was referring too.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
hi all

Since i was last at Disney i was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis now i can walk and so on but i just can't do it for very long periods. has anyone had any experience with going to Disney with a disability like this? what are my options? is a wheelchair my only one? and does any one has any tips on surviving a trip with this disease? i have two children who to be honest have yet to see me in a wheelchair so i am a little hesitant about that i also don't know what kind they have for instance if i needed one and it was a push one i wouldn't most likely be able to push myself with out hurting my hands, elbows, and shoulder joints. So i would end up having to have one of my children do that which i am not so keen on. they are 11 and 14 so not baby's but not really old either lol. i also weirdly enough feel uncomfortable about the wheelchair i am only 35 and i am still adjusting to this myself and my limitations for a single working mother it's not so easy to have to depend on someone else to do things i am so not used to that lol anyway any help anyone can give or advice would be appreciated

thanks

Heather

I don't know if I have ever been at another location that is more disability/handicap/challenged friendly than the Disney properties. All things considered, activities are highly accessable and cast are well versed in assisting.

The only downside, and it's a truly embarrassing one is the attitude of some guests, particularly on busses...especially at park openings or closings. (Then again its not too different from the angry stares and comments doing FP for a ride with 2 hour standby...)

I would think that private rental might be best, because there is a lot of distance to be covered at the resorts and going to and from parks as well.The parks can be physically challenging, so do whatever is best for you to make yourself comfortable. Enjoy your stay.

Upvote 0

Figment25

hi all

thanks

Heather
Go to your Doctor and tell him you are leaving for Disneyworld and he will give you a letter saying you cant walk or stand much. When you get to Disneyworld show them the letter at guest services they will give you a special pass good for 8 guests in your party. its like a massive fasr pass good for all rides ( except theaters ) but that should help you with that end of it..My uncle has the same arthrits you have and the doctor told him staying stagnet makes it worse and more painful. I would walk as much as you can and when you start to get sore then use a chair or lark.

Upvote 0

hrmom26

Original Poster
Go to your Doctor and tell him you are leaving for Disneyworld and he will give you a letter saying you cant walk or stand much. When you get to Disneyworld show them the letter at guest services they will give you a special pass good for 8 guests in your party. its like a massive fasr pass good for all rides ( except theaters ) but that should help you with that end of it..My uncle has the same arthrits you have and the doctor told him staying stagnet makes it worse and more painful. I would walk as much as you can and when you start to get sore then use a chair or lark.

thanks so much i didn't know you could do that!! i will for sure

heather

Upvote 0

Figment25

heather
One year in easter of 2005 we went the week before easter and it was real busy and my cousin had surgery on his knee 2 months before we left and the doctor gave him that letter. We got on every ride right to the front of the line. The ride that didnt have fast pass we got to take a back way into the ride and see some stuff you normaly wouldnt see..

Upvote 0

DisneyMom4

The pass to which folks are referring to is the Guest Assistance Card. It is issued by Guest Services at each of the four parks. However, you do not have to get a new one at each park. GACs are issued for the length of your stay.

However, the GAC is NOT a front of the line pass. Most of the lines at Disney are mainstream lines -- which means that all guest are put through the same line. At some point there may be a pull-out for guests with mobility impairments that leads to a special loading point. Then you have to wait for the vehicle that can handle ECVs and wheelchairs. This time can often be a longer wait than the regular que. (Safari, Jungle Cruise, etc.)

Also, a Dr's note is not needed for a GAC. You simply go in to Guest Services and explain your limitations. The GAC is designed to allow Cast Members to quickly see the accommodations that you require.

Most of your walking will be done to and from the bus stop, on the resort grounds and between rides. A park based ECV rental will only help one of those issues. I would suggest you consider an off-site rental company. You can 'practice' on ECVs at your local stores.

I wish you the best of luck. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Upvote 0

Figment25

The pass to which folks are referring to is the Guest Assistance Cards. It is issued by Guest Services at each of the four parks. However, you do not have to get a new one at each park. GACs are issued for the length of your stay.

However, the GAC is NOT a front of the line pass. Most of the lines at Disney are mainstream lines -- which means that all guest are put through the same line. At some point there may be a pull-out for guests with mobility impairments that leads to a special loading point. Then you have to wait for the vehicle that can handle ECVs and wheelchairs. This time can often be a longer wait than the regular que. (Safari, Jungle Cruise, etc.)

Also, a Dr's note is not needed for a GAC. You simply go in to Guest Services and explain your limitations. The GAC is designed to allow Cast Members to quickly see the accommodations that you require.

Most of your walking will be done to and from the bus stop, on the resort grounds and between rides. A park based ECV rental will only help one of those issues. I would suggest you consider an off-site rental company. You can 'practice' on ECVs at your local stores.

I wish you the best of luck. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.
The pass we had was white with red trim and had a handy cap logo on it. when we walked up to the line the cast member asked if he had trouble standing. he said yes and we were put in the front of the line. due to his bad knee. We called disney before we left and they told us you did need a doctor's letter in order to get that pass... if you didnt need the doctors letter i think everyone would try to get that pass.

Upvote 0

DisneyMom4

The pass we had was white with red trim and had a handy cap logo on it. when we walked up to the line the cast member asked if he had trouble standing. he said yes and we were put in the front of the line. due to his bad knee. We called disney before we left and they told us you did need a doctor's letter in order to get that pass... if you didnt need the doctors letter i think everyone would try to get that pass.

The GAC is still white with red trim. However, there has been a concentrated to effort to mainstream most rides and attractions over the past few years at Disney. For example, on Everest guests with mobility impairments go through the main que and are only pulled at the very end of the line. However, Small World, an older ride, has no mainstream que so guests are sent through the exit for loading. It just depends on the ride. It also depends on a guests ability to transfer.

Legally Disney cannot require a Drs note for the GAC. According the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) you cannot be required to show proof of your disability. You can choose to show proof, but do not have to. Some people to feel more comfortable showing a Drs letter at Guest Services. However, it is important to remember that accommodations are not based on the disability; but they are based on the needs that are related to the disability.

There is rampant abuse of the GAC at Disney. It's unfortunate, really, because it is what makes our OP think that people might think she's "faking". GAC abuse also makes it more difficult over time for people who really need the card to obtain one.

Upvote 0

Figment25

heather
All you have to do is when you go up to the ride show show the cast member the pass and tell him/her that you have standing and walking problems and they will take you to the front of the line if you have a wheel chair you will have to wait for the proper ride car. However you are out of the heat and sun. The wait time is FAR less than normal. Best of luck to you and have a great trip.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

All you have to do is when you go up to the ride show show the cast member the pass and tell him/her that you have standing and walking problems and they will take you to the front of the line if you have a wheel chair you will have to wait for the proper ride car. However you are out of the heat and sun. The wait time is FAR less than normal. Best of luck to you and have a great trip.

So even though DisneyMom4 explained to you (very nicely, I might add) that the GAC card is NOT a front of the line pass, you are still telling this person that she can "show the CM her pass and you will be taken to the front of the line"... :hammer:

Upvote 0

Figment25

So even though DisneyMom4 explained to you (very nicely, I might add) that the GAC card is NOT a front of the line pass, you are still telling this person that she can "show the CM her pass and you will be taken to the front of the line"... :hammer:
Yes... If there would be a wait it wouldnt be that long..We went in March 2005 and we all went to the front of the line or pretty close to the font. My cousin told them he had trouble standing for long periods of time and they took us to the front with no issue. Sometime we went in the fast pass entrance or the exit. Other times they took us in the back way like on PoC we went in the back way.. Disneymom4 was being nice but I was trying to say how I went thru it.. I wasnt trying to mean to her. But with the pass we pretty much got right in front of the line on everything. I think I would still get a D.R. letter just to cover your mouse tail. you never know things change.

Upvote 0

disneyagogo

DisneyMom4 has got it right. Keep in mind that four years is a looong time. While I don't dispute that Figment25's experience was what it was, I think that the Guest Assistance Card should NEVER been seen as a fastpass for the person needing it and 8 others.

I took my MIL who suffers from ataxia and she used her personal wheelchair. She was delighted with all the handicap accommodations made by WDW and had us take pictures of her on the monorail and buses. She didn't do many rides, but had a blast.

If you decide to rent a scooter, I highly recommend Walker Mobility. I used them for other trips and found them to be outstanding!

Good luck and have a great trip!

disneyagogo

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom