WDW vs. Disneyland

imagineer boy

kag1984 said:
Haunted Mansion Holiday was fantastic! Although after hearing about this floating Madame Leota head I was disappointed to see that it was actually just like the one in Orlando, but with a new recording for the overlay.

The Leota head doesn't float in the NBC overlay. The reason for this is because they effect is ruined by the giant glowing terot cards in the room. The rest of the time though, it floats.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

So the man who praised DL's long-deferred castle paint job, one that completely covered DL's castle with tarps and scaffolding for the better part of a month, complains when a castle over twice as tall has a crane in view.

I can understand his complaint, I'd be kind of sad if I went to the park with either situation. But the reason he's so forgiving of obvious DL maintenance (and there's a LOT of it, especially around Tomorrowland and the Matterhorn) is because he goes there every weekend, but saved up for his big special trip to WDW. He needs to keep perspective in mind and pick either visual cosmetics or visible maintenance, because it makes no sense to rah-rah-rah when DL puts walls and tarps up over half the park as he did during the MASSIVE DL refurb project leading into the 50th, but complain about one crane at the hub ruining the magic of your visit at WDW.

Lynx04

Comparing DL to DW is like comparing apples to oranges. The only other parks that you really could try to compare DL to is Disneyland Tokyo Resort and Disneyland Paris. But more so Disneyland Tokyo Resort, since Disneyland Paris trys to be a resort destination for all of Europe, but obviously lags far behind WDW. That is keeping the size out of the question.

Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Tokyo both are local area destinations first and for most. 90% or more of the guest comes from the local pop.

I also think the MK vs DL argument fails because it fails to concede the fact that Disneyland incorporates many of the attractions found in all of the WDW resort parks, IE (Star Tours, HISTA, (IJA vs CTE:Dinosaur). Disneyland trys to put more attractions in a smaller footprint whereas WDW has the option of putting an attraction in one of 4 parks.

Of course MK has its advantages engineeringly speaking. What I mean by that that it has the Utilidors, but it is tough to compare the two in entertainment or by attractions since both have different equations.

Comparing Universal Orlando to Disneyland makes more sense, cause they both have the same market.

DISCLAIMER:
Please, Please Please don't compare the two (Universal and Disney) cause it will cause nasty emotional posting. You've been warned!!!!!

If you had to pick which is better: WDW is better then DL, and DL is better then MK. But for the obvious reasons stated.

CThaddeus

My uncalled-for ten cents:
Both locations have their plusses and minuses. There are certain attractions I think were done better at Disneyland - Fantasmic!, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Tiki Room (still the original; no irritating Iago, William, Morris, or "Conga"), Buzz Lightyear (removable guns), Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Mr. Toad - and some that are better at Disney World - Splash Mountain, Snow White, Jungle Cruise, Tower of Terror (though I don't care for either version, Florida's fifth dimension room makes DCA's look even more pathetic), Star Tours (the outside, anyway). But each has so much to it that makes it unique that comparing the two is futile. Yes, Disneyland is smaller than the Magic Kingdom. Can it be faulted for that? No. Walt couldn't afford to buy more land for it, and everything was snapped up around him once the place became a hit. But it IS the basis for everything you see at Disney World, especially - obviously - the Magic Kingdom. It is a bigger version of Disneyland, true, but attractions and lands have been left out/added to each that the other doesn't have (and though Disneyland is smaller, it still has many more attractions). For example, Disneyland has the amazing New Orleans Square, the Magic Kingdom does not. The Magic Kingdom has Liberty Square, and Disneyland doesn't. So it becomes an apples and oranges type of argument. You can argue which attraction is best at which Park, I think. For instance, there's the obvious Pirates of the Caribbean comparison. Disneyland's floats through a beautiful bayou past a great restaurant, then drops you down two falls to a large cavern area of skeleton-filled scenes. At Disney World, after an admitted cool queue through a fortress, you get one (or two) skeleton scenes, and one quick waterfall. At Disneyland you get a climb back to the real world "up the waterfall," while at the Magic Kingdom you go past the final scene and you're abruptly told to get out and take an escalator back to "ground level." To me, Disneyland's feels much more complete (partly because it's the original), and thus I prefer it to the WDW Reader's Digest version.
As for quality, I think this is a both do/both don't type of argument. When I was last at Disney World in May, I did not notice any quality lacking. In fact, the much-maligned Country Bears operated perfectly, as did The Haunted Mansion. Problems happen. At Disneyland, I sometimes get doombuggies that have poor or no sound. Even though they've recently rehabbed it, it still has its problems. But I also ride it at least twice a month. I'm bound to find a bad one every now and then. I just let the CM know about it, they usually mark it so no one else rides it, and I'm on my way. The more you visit a place, the more problems you're going to find with it.
To those who discount Disneyland because of its surroundings, I think you're also doing it a great disservice. It can't help that it is surrounded by ugliness. To me, it's like an oasis amidst the hideousness of the hotels and motels and 7-11s. It's amazing how you're completely in a different world the moment you pass beneath that berm. I love that about it, just as I love that Disney World is separated from Kissimmee by all those trees. Whether it will stay that way forever is another thing all together.

Added note: You beat me to the punch, Lynx04! How did we manage to write so many similar things at almost exactly the same time?

Plutoboy

Having just read Al's review of WDW and some of the posts on here I have mixed emotions on the subject. I love WDW with all my heart!!!! It's part of the reason that I moved to Orlando 12 years ago and worked for Disney both PT and FT for the better part of 10 years. I also have been to Disneyland twice this year...once on a vacation and the second on a business trip where they had us stay at the DLR.

I completely agree with Al in that parts of the resort do not look as good as they used to. I have no problem saying that parts of it looked flat out neglected!! I think that this happens no only on stage but backstage as well. But what has been stated not only here but quietly mentioned in Al's article is that there is just too much to look after and too many people going into different directions to ever get on the same path and fix it. Especially that evil witch of a woman, Erin Wallace, who is the cheapest, most bottom-line driven person I have ever had the displeasure of working with. In my heart of hearts I honestly believe that she will try and run the place into the ground....regardless of who is at the helm of the company.

If Al's statement is true about WDW's Executives paying a visit to DL and leaving with their mouths dropped wide open at the differences in some of the key attractions...then they should be embarassed and get WDW's versions in shape pronto. DL's Haunted Mansion is far superior to WDW's (please, please I hope the renovation rumors are true). DL's Jungle Cruise is superior, Autopia was superior, and Pirates, while I didn't get a chance to ride DL's version, I hear is longer and better, and Space Mountain was incredible!!!!

PLease understand that I am not knocking WDW but because I have such a passion for the place that I want it to look it's best whenever possible. We should all want that...afterall it is the flagship isn't it?????

I do find it interesting that an article was written about 4 years ago in the Orlando Slantinel and it reviewed the current condition of the Magic Kingdom. Both Al Weiss and Phil Holmes denied that the park was neglected maintenance wise and that the park was as good as ever. However, wouldn't you know it that, everything that was mentioned in the article (20K before reclaiming, condition of the parking lot and entrance to toll plaza, buildings on MS and other areas of the park needing painting, lights on Main Street having been burnt out for months, etc....) was being fixed not more than 1 week after the article came out. WHY??? Because it was brought to the "suits" attention...meaning that the people who are supposed to be watching were not and they got got caught with their pants down (so to speak).

I guess is what I am really trying to say is that while WDW is magical and very special place it doesn't mean that it can't use some TLC from time to time. The next time you go look around, look for things that maybe not so Disney...in appearance. Then....write the letters to Bob Iger, Meg, Phil, Brad, Tom and Beth and let them know. Let them know you care and that you noticed which means that others probably did as well.

You would be amazed because the letters do work:)

isitingood

I've never been to Disneyland but I looked it up on Google maps and I switched it to satelitte and the resort is surrounded by other neighborhoods, from the looks of it. The monorail track was right next to a normal road and you could probably office buildings from there....does anyone know if this is true? If this is the case, WDW all the way.:)

That road would be Harbor Blvd, and yes you can see motels, hotels, and fast food res.

Lynx04

I've never been to Disneyland but I looked it up on Google maps and I switched it to satelitte and the resort is surrounded by other neighborhoods, from the looks of it. The monorail track was right next to a normal road and you could probably office buildings from there....does anyone know if this is true? If this is the case, WDW all the way.:)

In some respect to Disneyland. Disneyland is kinda suppose to be a fantasy land oasis surrounded by a city jungle. One of the things I use to love about Disneyland was that it seemed like everything outside the resort didn't exist once you were inside. The monorail is like a journey from the out side world to the fantasy land. Whereas WDW all the experience is in the 43 square miles. That is the beauty of having a second chance of making a first impression. Two different experience.

Skippy2000

Can someone explain to me why they think Splash Mountain is terrible in Disneyland.

I went on it some years ago, but don't remember it much. I thought it was pretty much a clone of WDW's (with the exception of the single seats in the logs.) But maybe because I knew the storyline from WDW's version, I didn't really criticize Disneyland's.

Been on WDW's Splash many times, my favorite ride; just had my first trip on Splash at DL 2 weeks ago. My thoughts: Beyone the discomfort of the DL logs, I found DL's version darker, didn't tell the story as well, seemingly many fewer figures, long stretches of just "hanging green stuff;" nowhere near as charming or "happy feeling" (IMHO) as WDW's. And then, there's the water: yes, I realize it's "Splash" Mountain, but the low-riding logs really swamped us; got wetter on Splash at DL than on ANY other Disney ride, including Kali at AK and Russin' River Rapids at CA. Just wasn't fun; my Laughin' Place is definitely at MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom