WDW tripod size limits: Manfrotto 190CXPRO4?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: the guarding of your tripod legs.

Have you ever wondered why the Disney Photo Pass photographers have a light under their tripod? You see them take their scanner and stick it under there; but, it's a barcode reader and doesn't need the light...

The light is there so it illuminates the tripod's legs.

Once I figured this out and started putting a light under my tripod when I get it set up for fireworks, the number of times I've been bumped has dropped dramatically.

Depending on where I set up the tripod, I've also stuck some of the cheap LED finger lights (http://www.amazon.com/LED-Finger-Li...&qid=1451314277&sr=8-5&keywords=finger+lights) on the legs. One at the bottom shining up and one at the top shinning down on each leg, so people see where the start and stop. After you are done using them, they make good bribes to any kids that are around you to help guard the tripod. ;)
Anybody ever thought you were PhotoPass?

Mark P.

Original Poster
Only about 100x per trip.

But, then again... that happens with the light on or off. They see a tripod... they line up.

I have a small headband LED flashlight that I'll hang from the center hook under the tripod or from the bag if it's on the hook.

Just back from MK and I finally experienced this first-hand myself. Was waiting for the start of the Electrical Parade and a couple walked over, glanced a couple of times at my gear, positioned themselves directly in front of me and...just waited. Didn't ask or anything, I guess they just sort of assumed that if there's a tripod, they can stand in front of it and - voila - PhotoPass pictures!

habuma

But as always, you are somewhat at the mercy of the specific security guard looking at your gear.

On our mid-December trip, I carried my MeFoto RoadTrip, attached to the outside of my Flipside 400 into Epcot (late in the day, an hour or so before Illuminations). One of the guards asked the other guard if it was okay and they cleared me to go with it because it wasn't a "large professional tripod".

A couple of days later I carried my Manfrotto compact monopod into the Magic Kingdom (completely inside of the bag...not even on the outside) and had the luck of a security guard who was insistent that I was not allowed to bring my selfie stick into the park. (Never mind that I had carried it into every park every day for the prior week with no trouble.) I insisted it wasn't a selfie-stick, which led us to a conversation with a higher-ranking member of the security team who then educated the guard on the difference between monopods and selfie sticks.

My advice is to print out Disney's guidelines or have them bookmarked on your phone and if they still stop you, ask to speak with a supervisor to clarify the rule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom