WDW tripod size limits: Manfrotto 190CXPRO4?

Mark P.

Original Poster
Does anyone have any experience bringing the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 into the parks? With the ball head, collapsed length is just a shade under 26 inches.

I'm apprehensive about getting held up at the gate because of its size and from everything I've read it sounds like enforcement of the size restriction is a bit subjective. (If it helps or complicates matters, we're planning on going the week of 12/8-1/2.)

PhotoDave219

If it can fit in a backpack or locker, it should be fine. Beyond that, @wdwmagic and @NowInc have been to the parks more recently and have more insight.

As with all security-related things at Disney, its all on your luck at bag check.

donsullivan

Premium Member
That used to be my default tripod for many years and you should be completely fine. It's a little bit taller when collapsed than my current one but I've never had an issue with either of them up to and including the last 2 days for MVMCP on Friday and Epcot last night.

Last edited:

Mark P.

Original Poster
Thanks. I did end up picking up a MeFOTO Roadtrip for comparison and while it's definitely more compact (about four inches shorter collapsed, by my quick estimate), because it's aluminum vs. the carbon fiber it's noticeably heavier, so if the added length isn't going to be an issue, I'll probably just stick with the Manfrotto.

Did you find that it was easy enough to maneuver with it amongst the crowds in terms of getting your gear set up quickly? This will be my first trip to the parks with a tripod (all four parks at some point from 12/8-1/2, including NYE at Epcot) and am slightly apprehensive about being "in the way" while trying to shoot the holiday lights and decorations.

That used to be my default tripod for many years and you should be completely fine. It's a little bit taller when collapsed than my current one but I've never had an issue with either of them up to and including the last 2 days for MVMCP on Friday and Epcot last night.

NowInc

Thanks. I did end up picking up a MeFOTO Roadtrip for comparison and while it's definitely more compact (about four inches shorter collapsed, by my quick estimate), because it's aluminum vs. the carbon fiber it's noticeably heavier, so if the added length isn't going to be an issue, I'll probably just stick with the Manfrotto.

Did you find that it was easy enough to maneuver with it amongst the crowds in terms of getting your gear set up quickly? This will be my first trip to the parks with a tripod (all four parks at some point from 12/8-1/2, including NYE at Epcot) and am slightly apprehensive about being "in the way" while trying to shoot the holiday lights and decorations.

I am sure you're aware but you can get the MeFoto in carbon fiber as well (tho the price difference is significant).

As far as maneuvering around....your mileage will vary on that one. Even on "dead" days it can be a pain depending on the types of guests that are around. General rule is get to a location early (as in...2 hours early if possible), and set up. Once you do that, its a good idea (if you are alone) to put your camera bag on one side of your tripod, and your body on the other..as to give yourself a little bit more "room" around your equipment, otherwise people WILL get all close and personal with your tripod and be in your shots (or worse..knock it over). Even with all those precautions, you'll still have rude/inconsiderate guests who will bump into your stuff or sometimes even try to move it out of their way so they can sneak in (this happened to me on july 4th). This is why I usually try to set up with a barrier in front of me...a fence, a planter..etc. That is one less "spot" someone can get to and potentially knock my stuff over.

Typically the rudest guests will pop in about 5 minutes before start time, because why pre-plan a spot when you can just be an :)

Don't worry too much about being in the way. Just try to keep your tripod at an acceptable height (ie: not blocking anybody elses view) and you'll be good. And as I always tell people...remember to take deep breaths. You WILL get annoyed by others around you (or by an ipad held high or a child on shoulders right in front of you), but just stay calm.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone have any experience bringing the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 into the parks? With the ball head, collapsed length is just a shade under 26 inches.

I'm apprehensive about getting held up at the gate because of its size and from everything I've read it sounds like enforcement of the size restriction is a bit subjective. (If it helps or complicates matters, we're planning on going the week of 12/8-1/2.)
Welcome to WDWMAGIC!

As others have said above, you should be fine (I'd be 99% confident). But as always, you are somewhat at the mercy of the specific security guard looking at your gear.

Good luck!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Typically the rudest guests will pop in about 5 minutes before start time
Thats the usual one right there. And those who like to stand with a foot positioned about 1" away from a tripod leg, and you spend the whole time just hoping they don't move, because if they do, that foot is going right into the tripod at the worst possible time.

blueboxdoctor

I was going to make a thread on this, but seeing as this has kind of turned into what I was going to ask I'll ask it. Is there a limit on the type/height of tripod? I want to bring one for night shots at EPCOT and for extra hours in MK when the parks are emptier, that way I won't be obnoxious with it. And get some photos of some of the resorts at night, but those should be easier, not nearly as crowded with people walking the grounds as the parks are.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I was going to make a thread on this, but seeing as this has kind of turned into what I was going to ask I'll ask it. Is there a limit on the type/height of tripod? I want to bring one for night shots at EPCOT and for extra hours in MK when the parks are emptier, that way I won't be obnoxious with it. And get some photos of some of the resorts at night, but those should be easier, not nearly as crowded with people walking the grounds as the parks are.
Unfortunately there are no precisely defined rules.

The official park rules are at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ which says "large tripods" are not allowed.

Last edited:

NowInc

Well that's vague, large isn't very specific, but I'll measure mine when it's all folded up and post that on here to see if others with the same size have gotten theirs in the parks.

If it can be folded up to be below 15 inches they typically don't care. If it can attach to your camera bag then they are totally ok with it. Its when you try to carry it in separately in its own case that it usually gets stopped. Its all at the discretion of that particular security guard.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Well that's vague, large isn't very specific, but I'll measure mine when it's all folded up and post that on here to see if others with the same size have gotten theirs in the parks.

The 'large' language has been in place for many years now and from my understanding they've left it intentionally vague to offer opportunities for interpretation on the fly when needed. Essentially, if you can attach the tripod to a backpack and it can mount in such a way that it stays parallel to your spine you're likely okay. As the tripod get taller, it's far more likely that they'll lean away from you as they get closer to your head and increases the likelihood they 'may' raise an issue with it.

What they are really after with the 'large' language are the folks that show up with video tripods trying to record entertainment events and the like. More often than not, those can be identified with twin-leg configuration. Once your tripod reaches a size where you cannot attach it to backpack and safely transport it around the park, you are increasing the likelihood you'll run into issues. Having said that though, I have a friend I saw this weekend who has a tripod so large that it cannot be attached to a backpack and will not even fit in a locker. From what he told me, he brought it in the parks every day of his trip with no issues. His is so large that it will not even fit in a locker and the CM's hold it for him behind the counter at the Locker Purchase station at MK.

PhotoDave219

Thats the usual one right there. And those who like to stand with a foot positioned about 1" away from a tripod leg, and you spend the whole time just hoping they don't move, because if they do, that foot is going right into the tripod at the worst possible time.

My favorite was when I set up in town square, on the sidewalk, right at the top of the circle as to not be in anyone's way.

Five minutes before show, kid on shoulders smack in front of me. Smdh

Mark P.

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I fully realize what I'm getting into here, testing my photography chops at the busiest time of year for the parks, so I'm certainly managing my expectations as far as crowds and interference are concerned.

Sounds like the Manfrotto should be good to go, especially if I stow the ball head until after I get through the bag check (just picked up a Lowepro 400AW, so I won't be lacking bag space). I can't justify the extra cost to get yet another carbon fiber tripod right now, so the heavier but shorter aluminum MeFOTO will probably end up getting shelved.

sporadic

Thanks, everyone. I fully realize what I'm getting into here, testing my photography chops at the busiest time of year for the parks, so I'm certainly managing my expectations as far as crowds and interference are concerned.

Sounds like the Manfrotto should be good to go, especially if I stow the ball head until after I get through the bag check (just picked up a Lowepro 400AW, so I won't be lacking bag space). I can't justify the extra cost to get yet another carbon fiber tripod right now, so the heavier but shorter aluminum MeFOTO will probably end up getting shelved.

Doh!! I just put my 400AW up for sale. Great pack, loved it. Just dunno if I could do Disney all day with it!

Lowepro Flipside 400AW
by smerrick, on Flickr

Lowepro Flipside 400AW
by smerrick, on Flickr

Lowepro Flipside 400AW
by smerrick, on Flickr

donsullivan

Premium Member
The Flipside 400AW is my default backpack including at WDW. I'm actually on my second one because I beat the daylights out of the first one after 3 or so years. In my case I cut off the padded waist straps because they drove me crazy in day-to-day use. With the 190CXPRO4 you can use the additional straps all the way at the top of the bag in addition to the tripod pouch and the strap in the middle to keep it close to the bag making it more comfortable and safe to move about the parks. Just pull both of them apart and they'll span across the bag and clip together to hold the tripod at a much higher point. if you don't use those, the tripod will want to hang out really far at the top.

maxairmike

I carry my MeFoto Globetrotter (largest model) in it's dedicated case/bag that came with it plus my usual camera shoulder bag and haven't had any issues other than at Disneyland where for some unknown reason the first few days the CMs at bag check had to be persuaded that no, that isn't a selfie stick.

Mark P.

Original Poster
OK, so, here's my follow-on question: what about navigability within the parks with the tripod hooked to the 400AW? I can't imagine that it's going to be very easy to stow it on some of the rides or maneuver in peak crowds, right? Am I (a) overthinking this or (b) setting myself up for failure/frustration/disappointment?

donsullivan

Premium Member
OK, so, here's my follow-on question: what about navigability within the parks with the tripod hooked to the 400AW? I can't imagine that it's going to be very easy to stow it on some of the rides or maneuver in peak crowds, right? Am I (a) overthinking this or (b) setting myself up for failure/frustration/disappointment?

If you use the top straps I referenced above to keep the tripod close to you at the top you'll be fine moving around the crowds- I do it all the time without any issues with that same bag. You just need to be aware of all of that bulk hanging off the back of you when you're in switchback queues so you're not blocking the adjacent line.

As for attractions, the strategy will depend on the attraction. For example, on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, or Space Mountain I put the bag on top of the lap bar and then pull one of the shoulder straps over the lap bar to hold it in place. That approach makes it much more comfortable when riding and as long as the tripod well attached the CM's will have no problem with it. On something like Soarin' it will not fit under the seat but the CM's will take it to the center area between the ride vehicles and it will be just fine. On many others you can just slip it under your legs (Star Tours or Mission Space) and you'll be fine.

I'm there all the time with that bag and usually a tripod attached to it and never once have I had any sort of issues. Just be aware of your surroundings when moving around in heavy crowds (no quick spinning around) and you'll be just fine.

JediMasterMatt

Re: the guarding of your tripod legs.

Have you ever wondered why the Disney Photo Pass photographers have a light under their tripod? You see them take their scanner and stick it under there; but, it's a barcode reader and doesn't need the light...

The light is there so it illuminates the tripod's legs.

Once I figured this out and started putting a light under my tripod when I get it set up for fireworks, the number of times I've been bumped has dropped dramatically.

Depending on where I set up the tripod, I've also stuck some of the cheap LED finger lights (http://www.amazon.com/LED-Finger-Li...&qid=1451314277&sr=8-5&keywords=finger+lights) on the legs. One at the bottom shining up and one at the top shinning down on each leg, so people see where the start and stop. After you are done using them, they make good bribes to any kids that are around you to help guard the tripod. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom