WDW train vs. DL train

dukein2009

Original Poster
Just a quick question.

The train seating for WDW is facing frontwards and rearwards. However at DL I noticed it faces to the side, facing towards the center of the park, leaving the far side unviewable as you are facing away from it. Is this due to a possible lack of theming on the outside of the park due to it's small size?

Pioneer Hall

I am not totally sure, but it does make sense. They want to keep your mind in the park and not on the outside commercial world. I'm sure whatever it is, there is a reason for it.

boo52

dukein2009 said:
Just a quick question.

The train seating for WDW is facing frontwards and rearwards. However at DL I noticed it faces to the side, facing towards the center of the park, leaving the far side unviewable as you are facing away from it. Is this due to a possible lack of theming on the outside of the park due to it's small size?
I belive that only one of the trains cars face in. The others are just like at WDW except smaller.

donsullivan

Premium Member
dukein2009 said:
Just a quick question.

There are 2 reasons the DL train is sideways pointed inward. First the train tracks back up to a number of 'non-guest' areas that would ruin the experience. Second, you need to be looking directly at the Grand Canyon and Dinosaur (don't remember the formal name) dioramas between Tomorowland and Main Street.

donsullivan

Premium Member
TheOneVader said:
Isn't it Primeval World?

So, these trains are like the ones at AK?

That's the one I couldn't remember. Thanks.

Yes, the passenger area is very similar to the one to Conservation Station at AK. The one difference is that I seem to remember the AK one's have a back on them, but the DL one's do not. here's a pic of the back side of the one at DL stopped at Main Street Train Station.

dadsinglelookin

yes i would have to say that it is cause of the theme. all car face in the park. i was there in june. there our hotel right across the street from the park.

Testtrack321

donsullivan said:
There are 2 reasons the DL train is sideways pointed inward. First the train tracks back up to a number of 'non-guest' areas that would ruin the experience. Second, you need to be looking directly at the Grand Canyon and Dinosaur (don't remember the formal name) dioramas between Tomorowland and Main Street.

Bingo

basas

boo52 said:
I belive that only one of the trains cars face in. The others are just like at WDW except smaller.
I believe it is one train that faces forwads while the rest face inwards.

xfkirsten

basas said:
I believe it is one train that faces forwads while the rest face inwards.

Yup, you're correct, at DL almost all of the cars face inwards toward the park, to show off the park itself as well as the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas.

EpcoTim

In a straight line, the MK train would take the DL train. But the DL train can definitely out handle the MK train.

SpaceRacer2003

finally a topic that I can get into (without social commentary) :sohappy: :sohappy:

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I wonder if the new train either on the way or already at the park is going to replace the lone forward-facing train?

Technically speaking a "train" is the locomotive and it's coaches togther. The new "train" at Disneyland is the DLRR #5 Ward Kimball. It is really just a new engine to join the current 4 in the stable at DLRR. There is not going to be a 5th set of passenger cars built. The line can only accomidate 4 trains (because there are only 4 stations, the same reason that WDWRR can only run 3, 3 stations :) ).

This is not the 1st time that DLRR has had 5 "trains" there used to be 5 sets of coaches: 3 sideways or Excursion sets, 1 forward or Holiday, (that may be backwards, 3 Holidays and 1 Excursion), and the RETLAW coaches to go with 4 engines.

The #5 should be out by the July for the parks 50th, but I would rather see it out in June for the original 50th of the SF&DLR (or DLRR).

EpcoTim said:
In a straight line, the MK train would take the DL train. But the DL train can definitely out handle the MK train.

Because the WDWRR engines are larger, they do have more power and speed. The DLRR engines are a smaller build (#1 & #2 are 5/8ths scale, #3, #4 & #5 are small full sized narrow gauged engines) and can handle a tighter turn. If you wanted to run a DLRR and WDWRR engine together on the same tracks it would have to be at WDW, as those engines would be too large for the Critter Country trestle at DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom