WDW To Enforce FP+ Rules

MotherofaPrincessLover

Initially when paper Fastpass rolled out you could put anything in the machine and it would spit out a valid paper ticket. Eventually they got wise and corrected these issues. Even still for a while, you could use old park tickets to generate Fastpasses. Now at Disneyland they will give you a "Not a Valid Fastpass" stamped piece of paper that will say the ticket wasn't used to enter the park that day.

I suspect locking the MDE account in any form would result in a ridiculous amount of problems at guest services, but I can absolutely see Disney not allowing guests to use a ticket that didn't check into the park on that particular day. The problem is, I've run into instances at Disneyland where my ticket didn't register in the park on a given day and I had to go back to the entrance when the machines wouldn't let me get a Fastpass and "check in".
I had this exact thing happen to me. It was quite annoying.

Nubs70

However, the finger biometric scanner wouldn't work, unless it was a never used pass/ticket/magicband.

I'm expecting, in the future, that our photo will be tied to our MDE account. We won't be able to see it, but a CM will. I know that currently if your MB didn't work at the entry points after several attempts, a CM with a tablet would ask to either take your photo or send you to GS...at least that was my experience. I opted for GS - that's when I discovered that you should have no more than 4 or 5 MB active on your MDE account.
Just place camera a FP+ touch point and validate using biometric scan of facial features.

nickys

Premium Member
This is the tip of the iceberg. What about all of the locals with fake DASs? I see so much of that on Twitter

I find that so odd.

Here in the UK, to get any kind of disability pass, you have to produce some proof. Either a letter detailing your entitlement to a disability benefit, or a letter from a medical professional detailing your diagnosed condition and consequential requirements.

I assume you have laws that mean you don't have to prove it to that degree, but why don't Disney just say that you must have a letter or documentation? It just means it's one to abuse. I mean anyone can claim they can't deal with long waits in enclosed spaces. At least you don't get to jump the queue though.

disneygeek90

I find that so odd.

Here in the UK, to get any kind of disability pass, you have to produce some proof. Either a letter detailing your entitlement to a disability benefit, or a letter from a medical professional detailing your diagnosed condition and consequential requirements.

I assume you have laws that mean you don't have to prove it to that degree, but why don't Disney just say that you must have a letter or documentation? It just means it's one to abuse. I mean anyone can claim they can't deal with long waits in enclosed spaces. At least you don't get to jump the queue though.
I'm not 100% sure but I think, by law, Disney is not allowed to ask for "justification" of a disability.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I find that so odd.

US law will not allow it or at least drastically limits what information can be required.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just place camera a FP+ touch point and validate using biometric scan of facial features.
DLR does it with PDAs... when you scan your ticket, your face shot pops up on the CM's PDA. They can also take pics and associate with tickets as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
I find that so odd.

Privacy laws, HIPPA, ADA, etc. I believe HIPPA may prevent Disney from asking for details about a guest's disability.

Which is why the US is seeing a proliferation of "service" dogs (the emotional support kind especially) because companies can't ask for proof that (1) the animal is a bona fide service animal (i.e., trained and registered as such) and (2) the person has a bona fide disability covered under the ADA that would necessitate #1. Oh, and because the person who felt that asking about #1 and #2 would infringe on their rights would scream "I'm gonna sue" and hire Morgan and Morgan or Dan Newlin......

Lets Respect

Correct, and there's a reason @Lets Respect disengaged. Just because you don't see someone's disability, it doesn't mean they don't have one.

Disney's done a fine job of ending the abuse that occurred with their previous disability service.

I was just talking about what I see with some locals on Twitter since we were talking about abuse of systems. I wasn't saying you had a fake DAS. It seems I struck a nerve in which case I apologize

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
Correct, and there's a reason @Lets Respect disengaged. Just because you don't see someone's disability, it doesn't mean they don't have one.

Disney's done a fine job of ending the abuse that occurred with their previous disability service.

I think Disney has done the best they can given both HIPAA and ADA and the propensity of some guests to threaten litigation. However, I don't have an issue with the individual claiming a disability providing documentation from their physician detailing the particular disability and what accommodations the guest needs....not for proof of the disability, but to insure the guest receives the appropriate consideration.

disneygeek90

I think Disney has done the best they can given both HIPAA and ADA and the propensity of some guests to threaten litigation. However, I don't have an issue with the individual claiming a disability providing documentation from their physician detailing the particular disability and what accommodations the guest needs....not for proof of the disability, but to insure the guest receives the appropriate consideration.
Pretty sure that would still go against all sorts of privacy rights and standards.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I was just talking about what I see with some locals on Twitter since we were talking about abuse of systems. I wasn't saying you had a fake DAS. It seems I struck a nerve in which case I apologize

I didn't see anything like that on twitter, I did go look. I'm sure it's possible to fake an ailment to get a DAS, but even if they did that the new DAS is designed to be like a standby queue without the line. The best anyone could do to abuse it is to get their normal 3 FP+ selections and then send a runner to get a single DAS FP for whatever the current standby wait time is for that ride when they arrive.

I thought you were saying that people were somehow abusing it like they are with the shadow FP+ thing, and I can't see how that's possible.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
I saw that thread on dis this morning, holy 133 pages of entitlement. I'm definitely not reading it, but hopefully Disney is.

For my own amusement, I wandered over to that site and read some of the comments. Wow, the tone of that discussion would make some of Magic's look like sugar and spice (and everything nice). Those folks need to get a grip - you're cheating the system. "Ghost" magicband my eye. Yeah, I'm going to carry around several MBs because I just want to load myself down with more unnecessary stuff in the parks - I'm not cheating.....

And don't go crying when your MDE account gets locked.....

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
For my own amusement, I wandered over to that site and read some of the comments. Wow, the tone of that discussion would make some of Magic's look like sugar and spice (and everything nice). Those folks need to get a grip - you're cheating the system. "Ghost" magicband my eye. Yeah, I'm going to carry around several MBs because I just want to load myself down with more unnecessary stuff in the parks - I'm not cheating.....

And don't go crying when your MDE account gets locked.....

I would bet money that they're breaking at least one law concerning circumventing technology to gain something they otherwise are not entitled too.

nickys

Premium Member
Interesting reading, thanks. So if I've got the gist right, it's the right to privacy that "drives" the law. Which is different to the UK.

So over here, if you want a badge that allows you to park in disabled parking spaces, or a travel pass that gets you a free career journey, then you first have to prove you have a qualifying disability. The easiest way is to show a letter saying "you qualify for this social benefit payment". No details of the actual disability. If you don't qualify for a payment, then it's much harder and you pretty much need to get your doctor to say "yeah, they need one because ...".

After that you then you fall under the anti- discrimination laws and so-on. But essentially the law says you first have to prove that you have a qualifying disability (including hidden ones) in order to get that protection / benefit available to someone with a disability. Then you have the privacy, in that you don't have to explain why.

Some travel brochures for Disney holidays will say that there is a DAS pass, and to bring along your proof of disability to show guest services.

I totally understand about hidden disabilities too, just in case the poster above interpreted my comment otherwise. DS has a hidden disability; it might qualify him for a DAS pass but we don't ever ask for one, just because we just don't think it's a necessity. But I know for others it would be essential. It was the process of getting one that confused me.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Pretty sure that would still go against all sorts of privacy rights and standards.

I dunno... Six Flags requires a doctor's note to utilize their attraction access pass...

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/plan-your-visit/guests-with-disabilities

They write in big bold letters that "The note must NOT describe or indicate the nature of the disability" so I'm sure that's what they did to comply with regulations. Once you present your note once, it stays on record and you don't need to bring such a note again (to any Six Flags park)... unless your note only indicates that the issue is temporary (such as a broken bone or something) in which case you would have to bring another note after the validity period of the first expires.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting reading, thanks. So if I've got the gist right, it's the right to privacy that "drives" the law. Which is different to the UK.

So over here, if you want a badge that allows you to park in disabled parking spaces, or a travel pass that gets you a free career journey, then you first have to prove you have a qualifying disability. The easiest way is to show a letter saying "you qualify for this social benefit payment". No details of the actual disability. If you don't qualify for a payment, then it's much harder and you pretty much need to get your doctor to say "yeah, they need one because ...".

After that you then you fall under the anti- discrimination laws and so-on. But essentially the law says you first have to prove that you have a qualifying disability (including hidden ones) in order to get that protection / benefit available to someone with a disability. Then you have the privacy, in that you don't have to explain why.

Some travel brochures for Disney holidays will say that there is a DAS pass, and to bring along your proof of disability to show guest services.

I totally understand about hidden disabilities too, just in case the poster above interpreted my comment otherwise. DS has a hidden disability; it might qualify him for a DAS pass but we don't ever ask for one, just because we just don't think it's a necessity. But I know for others it would be essential. It was the process of getting one that confused me.

Actually, what drives our laws are the threat of litigation - and social media outrage.

Here in Florida, if you want a disabled parking permit that allows you to park in a disabled parking space, you have to get a form filled out and signed by your doctor which you then take to the DMV. But I can be reasonably assured that the process has been abused. Because someone I worked with bragged about getting one.

As I stated in my previous post, I don't see a problem with providing a letter from a physician indicating what the disability is (especially if it is a hidden one) and what accommodations need to be made so the guest has an enjoyable and safe visit. I would feel awful if I were a CM and because of my ignorance, made a disabled guest's visit very unpleasant for them.

disneygeek90

I dunno... Six Flags requires a doctor's note to utilize their attraction access pass...

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/plan-your-visit/guests-with-disabilities

They write in big bold letters that "The note must NOT describe or indicate the nature of the disability" so I'm sure that's what they did to comply with regulations. Once you present your note once, it stays on record and you don't need to bring such a note again (to any Six Flags park)... unless your note only indicates that the issue is temporary (such as a broken bone or something) in which case you would have to bring another note after the validity period of the first expires.
Yeah, I suppose that gets around it by requiring a note, but not explicitly stating what the pass is for. That's actually a very fair way around it, imo. Would be interesting to see what, if any, issues Disney would have if they imposed something similar. I would expect tourists that were unaware of the new rule to be quite irritated at Guest Services being far from their home and doctor.

tissandtully

However, the finger biometric scanner wouldn't work, unless it was a never used pass/ticket/magicband.

I'm expecting, in the future, that our photo will be tied to our MDE account. We won't be able to see it, but a CM will. I know that currently if your MB didn't work at the entry points after several attempts, a CM with a tablet would ask to either take your photo or send you to GS...at least that was my experience. I opted for GS - that's when I discovered that you should have no more than 4 or 5 MB active on your MDE account.
FWIW, They DO have the ability to store face photos with MDE profiles. My 5-year-old was having issues getting his fingerprint to work and the CM took his photo and told him to use two fingers next time (we're AP) and that works every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom