WDW to DL

Korfar

Original Poster
The family and I have been going to WDW every year. We love it. We are curious about DL though. We haven't been there, but have been told how it is nothing compared to WDW. We want to plan a trip to DL to find out for ourselves. How many days of park passes should we get? We will want to experience it all. At the same time we don't want to get bored with it.

Krack

The family and I have been going to WDW every year. We love it. We are curious about DL though. We haven't been there, but have been told how it is nothing compared to WDW. We want to plan a trip to DL to find out for ourselves. How many days of park passes should we get? We will want to experience it all. At the same time we don't want to get bored with it.

I'd estimate 1.5 days for every day you would typically spend at the Magic Kingdom. If you're planning on DCA, estimate the same amount of time you'd spend at DHS.

WDITrent

In my opinion, Disneyland has much more to do than the Magic Kingdom. I agree with the statement that 1 day at Disneyland equals 1.5 days at Magic Kingdom (except for the walking factor). California Adventure is about like DHS in the time you should spend there. One thing you may appreciate about DLR is how well it is managed. It is also has far, far less of the commercial feel that you feel at WDW, especially Main Street at Disneyland.

GymLeaderPhil

Depends entirely on when you are planning on going and the speed of your family. Disneyland is a much different beast than the Magic Kingdom.

the-reason14

We spent 4 days there and it was more than enough. We didnt get "bored" but more than 4 may stretch it, but it all depends on how you are etc. I enjoyed DLR, and think it's good to go to after going to WDW for so long. It's a more laid back feel to the whole resort as opposed to WDW. Plus you have a better fantasyland, Pirates, and Indiana Jones.

cmwade77

We live out by Disneyland, have Annual Passes and never get bored with it. Disneyland is smaller, but there is always something different going on. (Bands, Special Events such as the Food and Wine Festive, Latin Days, etc.)

As for how many days you want to get, remember that you can always upgrade your tickets (as long as the upgrade cots more than what you originally paid), so I woud get the minimum number of days that you want and upgrade if needed.

Also, if you will be driving or renting a car, be sure to use priceline to get your hotel, you should be able to get a three and a half star hotel or beter for no more than $50 a night with name your own price. Just remember most of these hotels charge for parking and some will have free shuttles to and from the park.

I would say 1 day per 1.5 Magic Kingdom days is good for Disneyland.

As for DCA, I would use the following rules:
Currently - Same as DHS is good
After June 11 (Word of Color Opens) - Same as DHS + One half day for waiting for World of Color
2011-Early 2012 - Magic Kingdom Rule * .9
2012+ - Same as Magic Kingdom Rule

This is all based on what Blue Sky Cellar is promising, so it may change, but I think this will be a good rule of thumb. (Best Guess, based on experience)

MarkTwain

We spent 2.5 days in Disneyland (and the other half day in DCA)... and we STILL didn't ride everything in Disneyland. And it's not true that WDW is better. They're too different. :wave:

TP2000

In my opinion, Disneyland has much more to do than the Magic Kingdom. I agree with the statement that 1 day at Disneyland equals 1.5 days at Magic Kingdom (except for the walking factor). California Adventure is about like DHS in the time you should spend there. One thing you may appreciate about DLR is how well it is managed. It is also has far, far less of the commercial feel that you feel at WDW, especially Main Street at Disneyland.

That has to be the best summation of Disneyland vs. WDW that I've ever read. Perfectly captures it!

I'm clearly biased as a native West Coaster and SoCal resident, but I do love my occasional visits to WDW (especially Epcot). Lately though, those WDW visits only seem to reinforce that I've got the better deal being closer to Disneyland.

In addition to all the obvious physical and logistical differences between the two properties, there's a noticeable and growing difference in both the clientele and the management of WDW vs. Disneyland Resort. And it does not reflect favorably on what they are doing out there at WDW in recent years. Who is running that place exactly??? :eek:

flyer31

I just got back about 3 weeks ago from my first visit to Disneyland. There are alot of aspects of DL that I liked better than MK. Don`t get me wrong, I still LOVE the MK, but when you are in DL you can feel that it is the origional. What I really liked about the whole DLR property was how close together everything was, we stayed at one of the resort hotels and it was just a short walk to the parks, to Downtown Disney, and to go check out the other resort hotels.
For time, you really only need 2 days at the Disneyland park and maybe 1.5-2 days in California Adventure. I enjoyed some of the rides better at Disneyland and California Adventure over the WDW versions. Some of these include: PotC, it is longer and has a whole scene that isnt included in the WDW version; Space Mountain, has a better beginning to the ride; Soarin, queue line is better; just to name a couple.
In short, go check it out...it is really worth the trip. I would get no more than 4 day park ticket...you don`t need more than that. I tend to stay at a resort hotel, and I would again at DL (especially Grand Californian...what a beautiful hotel) but, the Good Neighbour hotels are literally right across the street...the only difference is that at a GNH you don`t walk through Downtown Disney to get to the parks unlike at a resort hotel where you do. Hope you have a good trip to DLR!

fosse76

I was at Disneyland last week. 5 days. Never once was I bored nor did I have a desire to go anywhere else. The crowds weren't bad, so I was able to get through most of Disneyland park in 5 hours. Because I was still on my New York schedule, I always inadvertently ended up at the parks at opening. I did everything at Disney's California Adventure by noon. For most of my trip I spent part of the day at Disneyland, and part of it at DCA. To be completely honest, Disney World feels run down in comparison to Disneyland. The biggest problem with Disneyland isn't its denseness or being smaller, but rather that the walkways are cluttered with planters, beams, railings, etc. The crowd can't spread out, so even on days when it was only 20 minutes to ride Peter Pan, the park looked and felt packed. But I think I almost preferred it to Disney World.

My biggest complaint is they have no concept of capacity. Space Mountain had maybe a 20 minute wait for most of trip, and part of it was because they would consistently only send out half-empty vehicles, despite there being a line. And it wasn't restricted to Space Mountain. Even on Saturday, vehicles would go out half empty on several rides. I bet if they filled the seats that went empty the wait time would decrease at least by 35-40%.

devoy1701

I don't agree with alot of people's estimates of time needed for Disneyland...ESPECIALLY for first time visitors to the complex and who are avid Disney Theme Park fans. We spent 5 days/6 nights at the Disneyland Resort in early December and we did not have time to do everything. We roughly spend 3 days in Disneyland and 2 days in DCA and that was rushing around, not giving time to take in the details and the shops, etc. I think you need the same amount of time (in my case MORE) to explore DL as you do the MK.

Bottom line is there is almost the same amount of attractions crammed into the 2 Disneyland parks as there are in the 4 WDW theme parks. So I think that a trip just about as long as you would spend at WDW would be in order. Next time we head out there we'll be spending an entire week!

fosse76

I don't agree with alot of people's estimates of time needed for Disneyland...ESPECIALLY for first time visitors to the complex and who are avid Disney Theme Park fans. We spent 5 days/6 nights at the Disneyland Resort in early December and we did not have time to do everything. We roughly spend 3 days in Disneyland and 2 days in DCA and that was rushing around, not giving time to take in the details and the shops, etc.

I swear, by some of the comments people make about "taking in the details," you people must walk around the park like it's a museum. The details are to immerse you into the experience, not be gaped over like museum artifcats. I was at Disneyland on Tuesday, and not rushing, I went on most attractions within the 5 hours I was there. What I didn't get to I did on Wednesday. But I agree with you that on an average day I would have needed two days to experience everything. I don't need but a day at the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Disneyland just has so much more.

DCA, on the otherhand (thanks to single-rider lines), even on a busy day I wouldn't need much more than half a day, if that. I can only think of three attractions with themed queues, and of those only two were completely themed (Soarin' and Muppets 3D), the other was only themed close to the boarding area (Mike & Scully). So "taking in the details" there isn't as involved as it is across the plaza at Disneyland.

Bottom line is there is almost the same amount of attractions crammed into the 2 Disneyland parks as there are in the 4 WDW theme parks. So I think that a trip just about as long as you would spend at WDW would be in order. Next time we head out there we'll be spending an entire week!

Much like Disney World, it all depends on crowd levels. Last week it took me two days to experience both parks, but I was there five (which I think was just right). And I certainly didn't rush. Disney World takes longer because the parks are bigger, further apart from each other, and it takes time to travel to them. But in essence I agree that Disneyland and WDW take roughly the same amount of time to experience.

devoy1701

I swear, by some of the comments people make about "taking in the details," you people must walk around the park like it's a museum. The details are to immerse you into the experience, not be gaped over like museum artifcats. I was at Disneyland on Tuesday, and not rushing, I went on most attractions within the 5 hours I was there. What I didn't get to I did on Wednesday. But I agree with you that on an average day I would have needed two days to experience everything. I don't need but a day at the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Disneyland just has so much more.

DCA, on the otherhand (thanks to single-rider lines), even on a busy day I wouldn't need much more than half a day, if that. I can only think of three attractions with themed queues, and of those only two were completely themed (Soarin' and Muppets 3D), the other was only themed close to the boarding area (Mike & Scully). So "taking in the details" there isn't as involved as it is across the plaza at Disneyland.

Much like Disney World, it all depends on crowd levels. Last week it took me two days to experience both parks, but I was there five (which I think was just right). And I certainly didn't rush. Disney World takes longer because the parks are bigger, further apart from each other, and it takes time to travel to them. But in essence I agree that Disneyland and WDW take roughly the same amount of time to experience.

talking to the streetmosphere characters (mayor of Main Street USA) or watching the quartet...looking around the Emporium (which DLs is amazing!!!)...picking up the gossip line phone, sitting on a park bench in town square, etc. I consider all of that stuff "taking in the details" All of that stuff takes time! Not to mention DL also has New Orleans Square! We spend an hour on two separate days looking in that store next to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln that has all of the LE Artwork and collectibles! And woooooow, taking pictures in DL is so much fun because of how they layer the attractions so well. We spent quite a bit of time out by the Tomorrowland Lagoon and also back in Toontown just snapping away!

Over at DL I needed a whole day JUST for details!

sponono88

fosse76 - themed queues aside, did you catch any shows/parades? DCA has Pixar Play Parade and the Aladdin musical.. in addition to other streetmosphere shows. Sounds like you skipped a lot if you only spent half a day there. There's also World of Color coming up next month, which will keep many guests in the park until dark.

As for the OP's question - My thoughts on this are simple.. You can never go wrong with Walt's original Magic Kingdom :) I think every Disney fan should try and visit Disneyland at some point in their life.

LoriMistress

DLR/DCA is practically a second home to me. I would say an average visit would be 2-3 days, if you want to make sure you do everything. The park itself is much smaller, but they do have some great attractions that MK doesn't offer.

ABigBrassBand

DL is a complete beast, you can't even compare it to WDW. You'll want at least 3 days for DLR, I'd reccomend taking 1 day, then 1 at DCA, and then the second 2 days after. You'll need that much time. DCA is a good park too, but doesn't have as much going on. Still, I can spend a day there, but that is just me. Walking on the boardwalk at night is an amazing feeling :)

EDIT: Just a tip, make sure you see the Aladdin show at DCA, its something you just can't miss! Why did I edit this to tell you that? I'm listening to the soundtrack :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom