WDW Ticket Price Increase

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh, it was bad then, no question. But the intensification since 2015 has far surpassed anything that came before. Doubling prices, six years to build a cloned ride, no trams, no regular housekeeping, severe understaffing, park reservations, line-skip upcharge, a third of EPCOT behind walls for years, massive entertainment cuts, one cost-cut parade in the entire resort, two hundred dollar shortened holiday parties, skyrocketing room rates, wait times on the help line that almost always exceed an hour, headliner rides breaking with clockwork regularity due to a chronic lack of maintenance, rides running without multiple effects working properly, diminished food portions and dramatically inflated food prices, several tremendously disappointing nighttime “spectaculars” - in 2015, all this would have been dismissed as the absurd hyperbole of a doom-and-gloomer on these boards. The poster would have been mocked.

And who was installed as Grand Poobah of P&R in 2015? 🤔

Things were bad under Rasulo and Staggs. They went to a much darker place once the crap peddler took over.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, it was bad then, no question. But the intensification since 2015 has far surpassed anything that came before. Doubling prices, six years to build a cloned ride, no trams, no regular housekeeping, severe understaffing, park reservations, line-skip upcharge, a third of EPCOT behind walls for years, massive entertainment cuts, one cost-cut parade in the entire resort, two hundred dollar shortened holiday parties, skyrocketing room rates, wait times on the help line that almost always exceed an hour, headliner rides breaking with clockwork regularity due to a chronic lack of maintenance, rides running without multiple effects working properly, diminished food portions and dramatically inflated food prices, several tremendously disappointing nighttime “spectaculars” - in 2015, all this would have been dismissed as the absurd hyperbole of a doom-and-gloomer on these boards. The poster would have been mocked.
My point was…it was a long game. And we are right on “schedule”…

none of this didn’t start with Iger. People like to have a villain…but have a hard time identifying them at times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Companies with large profits (amazon, disney, starbucks, chipotle, etc.) have recently been increasing prices because... wait for it... they can! The news keeps saying we have record inflation, which actually might mean something to a small farmer who has to pay more in fertilizer, feed or shipping charges to bring their product to market. It means something to a small business owner who had to raise prices in the past year because workers are rightfully demanding higher wages and benefits. But if you're a large corporation already turning a solid profit, and you raise the prices of your key products right now and call it "inflation" then you're full of crap. The rest of us will sarcastically argue "well it's 4% and not 7.5%!" or "cedar point did worse!" while the corporations laugh at us and count their growing stacks of money.

The main motivator for all of this is greed which is allowed because corporate tax rates and top individual rates were decimated during the 1980's under President Ronald Reagan. It didn't used to make sense to pay a CEO millions if they had to give 90% back in taxes. Companies had to reinvest their profits immediately in extra staff, training and infrastructure so they didn't just hand the money over to the government. Once that went away we got true capitalism - where every entity literally wants to get as much money for as little input as possible. That lowered input may be shown by not painting the entire splash mountain ride the same color. Or not doing housekeeping every day or two. Or making a LARP "hotel" and not paying enough for the actors or entertainment options in it. Companies like Disney are pushing the boundaries of cheapness because for every 100 poor families who only dream of going to Disney (and they might even work there!), there is at least one family with enough income or credit card room to finance a $10K trip every year or so.
Damn…

yeah…I’ve got nothing…like Carville in Old School.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My point was…it was a long game. And we are right on “schedule”…

none of this didn’t start with Iger. People like to have a villain…but have a hard time identifying them at times.

He's an easy target, though, and really ramped things up after they started during the latter years of ME. Eisner started the fire, Bob 1.0 poured a can of gasoline on it, and $lappie backed a tanker truck up and opened the spigots.

That needs to be revised…because he still operated inside some of the old guardrails. The Bobs do not/have not since Jay

Fair point. But he seems to be the spiritual predecessor to $lappie the Crap Peddler, he just had a thimble of "old school" cred.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He's an easy target, though, and really ramped things up after they started during the latter years of ME. Eisner started the fire, Bob 1.0 poured a can of gasoline on it, and $lappie backed a tanker truck up and opened the spigots.

Fair point. But he seems to be the spiritual predecessor to $lappie the Crap Peddler, he just had a thimble of "old school" cred.
My take 10, 5 years ago…and I was throughly lambasted for it…was watch out for Iger.

I'm still on that hill and we haven’t buckled yet.

it’s so easy to blame Eisner (he was just there too long) and slappo (he’s unqualified and Iger gets ZERO heat for the Same malfeasance on that)

…just be careful not to eat the cheese planted by the cat.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My take 10, 5 years ago…and I was throughly lambasted for it…was watch out for Iger.

I'm still on that hill and we haven’t buckled yet.

it’s so easy to blame Eisner (he was just too there too long) and slappo (he’s unqualified and Iger gets ZERO heat for the Same malfeasance on that)

…just be careful not to eat the cheese planted by the cat.

I find it remarkably easy to throw Bob 1.0 onto the 💩 pile. :D

Walt/Roy - DL, MK
Card - EPCOT Center
Eisner - MGM, AK, et al., then Strategic Planning
Iger - "More trees", Disney brand
Chapek - "More profit", license "the brand"

🤔

chama1

I was at Epcot yesterday and while I was having just about to pay for my breakfast at Cape May I was told I could only pay "digitally"?...well I only a cell phone and really don't need one....they never mentioned it while was waiting for my table to be cleaned, The CM stated they "just started this today"....they did take my CC but alot of diners also was shocked as they we not informed during check-in....I love Disney but it's getting harder for me, as a senior, with all these changes, ( reservations, prices changes, new rules, etc) just to get into the parks...the money is not an issue as I have control at what I willing to spend (budge) but it's all the extra tools just to get into the parks, rides, food, etc)....just saying...

pdude81

I was at Epcot yesterday and while I was having just about to pay for my breakfast at Cape May I was told I could only pay "digitally"?...well I only a cell phone and really don't need one....they never mentioned it while was waiting for my table to be cleaned, The CM stated they "just started this today"....they did take my CC but alot of diners also was shocked as they we not informed during check-in....I love Disney but it's getting harder for me, as a senior, with all these changes, ( reservations, prices changes, new rules, etc) just to get into the parks...the money is not an issue as I have control at what I willing to spend (budge) but it's all the extra tools just to get into the parks, rides, food, etc)....just saying...
This seems rather insane to me. I don't even understand what they meant to tell you the truth.

dreday3

This seems rather insane to me. I don't even understand what they meant to tell you the truth.

Yeah. I tried their "mobile magic" while I was there. It was problematic because every time I wanted to use my google pay, those stupid mobile magic cards popped up! The CMs said it was happening a lot to google pay people and said just to remove the mobile magic cards from my "wallet". I did.

Also, even though I use google pay, I still use credit cards when dining out, anywhere. I do not keep a digital copy of all my credit cards on my phone and I would hate to be required to use my phone to pay for table-service restaurants.

Or do they mean they send the bill to your phone and you pay on your phone? Confused.

Ayla

I am more appalled at the food situation at WDW than tickets. The price of a Mickey pretzel or bottle of soda is outrageous. 4% more for tickets after adding SWGE, MMRR, RRA, and the fireworks is rather modest.
I can be ed off about both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom