WDW Tap Water

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Ok, reading the thread about the smells reminded me of an interesting question.

I've noticed that at WDW the tap water has a very distinct taste and smell, almost like well water. I smell a ton of chlorine and sulfer. However, that's what I smell, it may not be that at all. But what is up with it?

I remember being down there with my brother in 2003. He told me he only could drink bottled water while there. I asked him why, and the answer was startling. He noticed that a direct corolation existed between drinking their tap water and getting the runs. I know that's disgusting, but it needs to be mentioned. He only would drink bottled drinks while at WDW. He forgot all about it one night while at PI, and yep, boom. Seriously, what is in that water?

You can even smell it in places like Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ryan

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Your body adapt to whatever water you commonly drink. All water has some level of bacteria, fungi, etc.. in it, as well as varying levels of minerals and chemicals.

Drink any water that your body is not used to, and voila, montezuma's revenge. A general travel tip is to drink the same brand of bottled water wherever you go. My body is good with Dasani, Zephyrhills, and Fiji water.

That said, WDW's water is just Orlando water and generally poor quality/funky. It's not detrimental to your health in any way though. Always buy sprite or orange soda in a bottle at WDW, as the coke machines that mix it with water can't get rid of the funk. It's especially noticeable at Universal Orlando for some reason.

I've never been able to handle the orlando water either and tend to buy bottled water instead.

Queston: Has anyone bought ones of those water bottles with a filter built in and if so how much did it help?

I've been considering it, if it works it'd be a huge saving.

Craig & Lisa

I've never been able to handle the orlando water either and tend to buy bottled water instead.

Queston: Has anyone bought ones of those water bottles with a filter built in and if so how much did it help?

I've been considering it, if it works it'd be a huge saving.
We have had the britta filter bottle for a number of years, it works great and gets rid of the smell and taste instantly. The bummer is they don't make it anymore, so when we come across a filter refill I grab all I can. It treats up to 50 gallons, now I've heard that Pure has one in different sizes, but it's hard to find too. Worst comes to worst, I drink the water, but only from a water cooler that actually cools the water. Somehow the waters taste and smell isn't as bad.

tigsmom

I drink the water and have no problems. :shrug:

I like bottled water for the convenience, but thats the only reason.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Orlando... NAY, Florida tap water is disgusting. Only drink it if you have severe limestone deficiency

Vernonpush

I find that the water has an opposite effect on me.:lookaroun The tap water tastes better that what we have here in Birmingham,AL.:lol:

dandaman

I've been meaning to ask my sister about that. I told her about Florida's hard water but she hasn't mentioned it in conversation yet. :shrug:

FYI, I've noticed it since my first trip in '94. :lol:

pinkrose

I find that the water has an opposite effect on me.:lookaroun The tap water tastes better that what we have here in Birmingham,AL.:lol:

:lol: I find the water here in B'ham to be better (doesn't have the smell). I tend to only drink filtered/bottled water though.

mermaid1

What is weird to me, is that I noticed the sulphur at the Contemporary in the shower and at the restaurants. I only made the mistake once of asking for a glass of H20, after that bottled water...When we moved to The Boardwalk for the second half of our trip, I did not notice the sulphur odor there. Interesting...:shrug:
mermaid1

bobjl527

I don't know how true this is but I was told by a local a few years back that Florida's fresh water supply is basically from the swamps. As you know, swamp water is full of bacteria and other assorted microscopic critters. Thus, the high level of chemicals used to treat the water to make it safe for human consumption. The one thing I like better in Chicago than in WDW, the yummy Lake Michigan water. :slurp:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The tap water smells and tastes bogging. Luckily drinking beer solves the problem, MK excluded of course. Thats probably why it feels such a long day.

Patsc85

Actually the quality of the tap water varies from park to park, resort to resort etc. Magic Kingdom tap water (everything around the seven seas lagoon and bay lake for that matter) have the most distinct taste/smell.
Epcot isn't as bad as the Magic Kingdom, but it is still noticable.
MGM is really the least noticable, infact I actually like the MGM water!
Animal Kingdom, I can't speak for since I don't recall drinking the tap water there.

One of my biggest pet peeves at Magic Kingdom? When all the ice in your fountain soda melts...you are left with what I like to call "Pirates of the Caribbean soda". Becuase it tastes like the smell of pirates of the caribbean water, and splash mountain for that fact haha

chels26

okay.. i dont mean to disgust any one.. but every time i'm in wdw.. my stomach never feels right and .. it happens to me. and I never knew exactly what it was.. and its funny too because when we were talking about the smells i thought of saying when ever i go to disney and i drink the water/fountain soda it always smells and tates different. and i always say "mm disney soda" haha. any way.. i'm glad i know the reasoning of why my stomach gets upset for the first few days! haha.

From what I've been told, the Disney water tastes the way it does because of an excess of sulphur found naturally in the water supply. It's technically not harmful, but if you have a sensitive stomach like me, it can lead to fun things like diarrhea (yay!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom