WDW Security vs. Universal

WDW Kip

Original Poster
Spent a day at Universal over this past trip, and I noticed how efficient the security check is there. One central check point for the entire park with metal detectors and conveyor belts for bags. I realize that this creates a more hostile message than WDW does, but the whole process of bag checks moves much faster there.

Thoughts on if Disney should implement something like this?

Tom Morrow

Sounds like the TSA. No one likes the TSA.
Yes, it is like TSA, but I'd rather bite the bullet and get it over with faster, not to mention have a more thorough safety check, than deal with Disney's long security lines. Universal, provided they have multiple security lanes open, can eat through a line of 30 people in only a few minutes. At Disney during a rush, you could be waiting 10, 20 minutes. Disney's procedures are also very inconsistent. Sometimes a cast member is overly thorough, other times they barely look at anything. A few days ago at DAK, I had only one party in front of me, yet I waited as the cast member spent 1-2 minutes searching through one tiny purse, going through every single item in it. I switched to a different lane where another security cast member cleared my camera bag and equipment in mere seconds.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Spent a day at Universal over this past trip, and I noticed how efficient the security check is there. One central check point for the entire park with metal detectors and conveyor belts for bags. I realize that this creates a more hostile message than WDW does, but the whole process of bag checks moves much faster there.

There is one main checkpoint entering city walk, but there are also checkpoints at the hotels before entering the boats and on the walking paths from the hotels.

I don't see how it would be possible to have a single checkpoint at WDW.

draybook

A TSA conveyor setup is what I suggested to one of the security CMs I spoke to on this last trip. Disney's current setup is a joke and highly inefficient, especially at the TTC. A conveyor with x-ray tech is way better and more efficient. Not to mention, Universal's check is covered, unlike that sauna they call the TTC. Have I mentioned how ticked off I get at the TTC? The other check points aren't bad but that one really riles me up.

General Mayhem

I prefer Universal's they check every single guest (and team member too) with metal detectors and bag scanners. The whole process is extremely fast and efficient. Universal Orlando was lucky that the way the resort was redesigned in 1999 was so adaptable to this new system. Disney unfortunately doesn't have that luxury and therefore we have their slow and inconsistent system.

Animaniac93-98

This is what Disney already does in Paris. I wouldn't mind this set up in Florida if it meant the line moved faster.

s8film40

Yeah Universal is far more efficient and while it's all show really probably far more effective also. All the bags go through the scanners and it's so much faster than a CM rifling through a bag who likely wouldn't find anything even if it were in the bag. Also from a guest/customer service point of view what Disney does is really horrible. The random selection can really come off in a negative almost accusatory way. I can usually get through the Universal line without even stopping, Disney not so much. I really hope Disney has taken notes on how Universal is doing this and plan to implement it in their new entrance designs. Looking at the DHS entrance under construction it seems there could be room planned for a similar setup.

StarshipDisney

I love going to Disney, but one of my pet peeves is that Disney has no security beyond the front gate. Just look at how people routinely break in ride lines to see that Disney security in the parks is little more than a joke.

DreamfinderGuy

Uni's security is much more efficient than Disney's. Disney can't adapt to a centralized system like Uni has for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean they can't take cues from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom