News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

Disney prices evolved/progressed under the management under a different model from 1971-2005. Some things were loss leaders and others where more profitable...but the balance was struck to insulate against downswings and for product/advertising exposure.

Many things have changed...both in society and most especially tech. That model obviously is outdated in some if not many ways.

Costs are basically the same...BS aside.

The current strategy is 99% assuredly blue ocean theory. I’m pretty convinced after recent research.

Now...that’s just the reality...I’m not disagreeing with your assessment of business practices.

But it is not “personal valuation” and it’s not Frosh Econ S&D. It’s way more complex...so much so we can never properly explore it. But it isn’t neat and tidy and that “one thing”...or two things.

As many times as you type “it’s a business”, is how many times that doesn’t address the realities.

Nobody is unclear about its status as a “business”...that’s not the debate.

It really is that simple though. I don’t understand how it isn’t -

I like Product X
Product X will cost me $X.xx this year.
Do I want to spend the money on Product X?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I like Product X

No it’s not...because you don’t have the same point of reference to make such determinations. You do understand that there are libraries full of data and observations used to determine the prices? It’s not bob chapek and a dart board.

I don’t know how many times I can respectfully say to stop making this like a homework sheet. There’s so much water
Under the bridge.

If such a complex thing was simple, really rudimentary algebraic equations...there would be gigantic, high price vacation compounds all over the place...less crowded...and you wouldn’t have to buy after hours Magic for that “wow” factor for the kids...

By continually trying to dumb this down, you disrespect all the people who built the place into the one of a kind success it is...and just feed the stock reactionaries currently in charge so much that they might pay workers an appalling $15 an hour so they could afford rent.

21stamps

No it’s not...because you don’t have the same point of reference to make such determinations. You do understand that there are libraries full of data and observations used to determine the prices? It’s not bob chapek and a dart board.

I don’t know how many times I can respectfully say to stop making this like a homework sheet. There’s so much water
Under the bridge.

If such a complex thing was simple, really rudimentary algebraic equations...there would be gigantic, high price vacation compounds all over the place...less crowded...and you wouldn’t have to buy after hours Magic for that “wow” factor for the kids...

By continually trying to dumb this down, you disrespect all the people who built the place into the one of a kind success it is...and just feed the stock reactionaries currently in charge so much that they might pay workers an appalling $15 an hour so they could afford rent.

I think you may have quoted the wrong post?

21stamps

Did I?

I’m sorry...I was going for the one where somebody boiled down the entire pricing strategy for the world’s largest single owner entertainment complex over decades of development down to an extra credit on a math quiz...

You thought this was relating to how Disney prices their vacations, and not the consumer’s decision?

Either I can’t read the words that I wrote, or you’re seeing different words than the ones that are actually in the following quote

I like Product X

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You thought this was relating to how Disney prices their vacations, and not the consumer’s decision?

Either I can’t read the words that I wrote, or you’re seeing different words than the ones that are actually in the following quote

I had to go back and read the context...

The discussion was moderate resort pricing and parking fee enforcement. So your manifesto about personal valuation actually didn’t apply at all...unless you were trying to sneak it in as a reason for pricing...which is where we come back around...

Now If you’ll excuse me...I have to go book that free dining AND after hours Magic...

SO MUCH VALUE!!!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The discussion was moderate resort pricing and parking fee enforcement. So your manifesto about personal valuation actually didn’t apply at all...unless you were trying to sneak it in as a reason for pricing...which is where we come back around...

Now If you’ll excuse me...I have to go book that free dining AND after hours Magic...

SO MUCH VALUE!!!!

This. Definitely this. Who doesn't find value with free dining (while paying rack room rates and being forced to buy park hoppers) and After Hours Magic (extra cost after buying regular park tickets)?!?!?! MAGIC!!!

21stamps

SO MUCH VALUE!!!!

Yes, See above.

Moderate Resort Pricing and Parking Fees are PART of Product X.
Determine if it’s valuable to you, or not.
That’s the only thing that actually matters about the fees when it comes to the consumer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, See above.

Moderate Resort Pricing and Parking Fees are PART of Product X.
Determine if it’s valuable to you, or not.
That’s the only thing that actually matters about the fees when it comes to the consumer.

Then we came full circle:
WDW pricing is not constructed by supply and demand and personnel valuation...that is maybe 20% (I’m being more than generous) -its an economic construct that has taken 55 years (actually 65 starting in Anaheim) and has evolved/morphed continually over that period.

It can’t be boiled down to a sentence and if “x”, then “y”....

Even the aforementioned “after hours Magic” has a really heavy ton of stuff cooking in the pot before we see it (I don’t work with things like that anymore...but I once did)

I’ll try to just give the keys:
1. They have adjusted operations to create the demand
2. They have a computer prebooking system that allows the “need” to be there when it wasn’t pre fp+
3. They have a portfolio of hard tickets and add ons rolled out for a decade to recenter customer expectations and soften the financial requirements to sell these things. Again...to create both “need” and “demand”

My advice: don’t move to Stockholm 😜

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Then we came full circle:
WDW pricing is not constructed by supply and demand and personnel valuation...that is maybe 20% (I’m being more than generous) -its an economic construct that has taken 55 years (actually 65 starting in Anaheim) and has evolved/morphed continually over that period.

It can’t be boiled down to a sentence and if “x”, then “y”....

Even the aforementioned “after hours Magic” has a really heavy ton of stuff cooking in the pot before we see it (I don’t work with things like that anymore...but I once did)

I’ll try to just give the keys:
1. They have adjusted operations to create the demand
2. They have a computer prebooking system that allows the “need” to be there when it wasn’t pre fp+
3. They have a portfolio of hard tickets and add ons rolled out for a decade to recenter customer expectations and soften the financial requirements to sell these things. Again...to create both “need” and “demand”

My advice: don’t move to Stockholm 😜

Another very important piece....they have the data.

If say they look at historical information they can gauge demand somewhat.

But here's what I find scary....Let's say you spend 5 nights at POR at $300 a night. Now - you're plugged into the system using the MB for purchases right?

Let's say you spend $3,000 during your trip....I've got to think there's somebody going over that data saying "Based on their spend they can afford an additional $25 a night this year". Now I'm not implying they're using this methodology on individual families and what they charge them.....but they are aggregating that data as a basis for their decisions.

Edited to say: This is why I see WDW going cashless in the relatively near future. There is too much data that is of value.....for them not to.
Once that happens they will start to trend toward the Vegas model with customized offerings based on several factors including: number of stays, frequency of stays, length of stays, spend etc.)

Let's say John Smith, a local, goes to EPCOT 15 times in a given year. He spends $200 on average every time he visits. Knowing this, Disney creates a promotion exclusively for him, whereby he'll receive a $100 gift card on his 18th visit (thereby reinforcing and altering behavior). Maybe instead of frequency, they tie it to spend........but this is where I think it is going.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another very important piece....they have the data.

If say they look at historical information they can gauge demand somewhat.

But here's what I find scary....Let's say you spend 5 nights at POR at $300 a night. Now - you're plugged into the system using the MB for purchases right?

Let's say you spend $3,000 during your trip....I've got to think there's somebody going over that data saying "Based on their spend they can afford an additional $25 a night this year". Now I'm not implying they're using this methodology on individual families and what they charge them.....but they are aggregating that data as a basis for their decisions.

Edited to say: This is why I see WDW going cashless in the relatively near future. There is too much data that is of value.....for them not to.
Once that happens they will start to trend toward the Vegas model with customized offerings based on several factors including: number of stays, frequency of stays, length of stays, spend etc.)

Let's say John Smith, a local, goes to EPCOT 15 times in a given year. He spends $200 on average every time he visits. Knowing this, Disney creates a promotion exclusively for him, whereby he'll receive a $100 gift card on his 18th visit (thereby reinforcing and altering behavior). Maybe instead of frequency, they tie it to spend........but this is where I think it is going.

Welcome to MDE...

Before...shockingly not that long ago...all that data was sequestered in separate billing portfolios in DOS BASED payment systems...

Now you can have Jarvis tell you what you want in 10 seconds and make you tea as you wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom