News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

Those places also dont have the most popular theme parks in the world attached/associated to them.

I don’t know of any resorts (standard Hilton etc hotels excluded) that include breakfast, outside of an all inclusive. I’m sure they exist, but I haven’t been to one. I do always see an option to add the breakfast at time of booking- for an additional charge.

John park hopper

How is around $400 per night considerably less than around $400 per night?
Help me out with the math there ;)
Embassy Suites ID $167/night whatever you want to call it cooked breakfast, whatever you want to call it drinks in the evening plus finger food, transportation to the Diney parks and yes they have parking fees. My point is Disney if you want to increase parking fees don't use the reasoning everybody else does it.

21stamps

Embassy Suites ID $167/night whatever you want to call it cooked breakfast, whatever you want to call it drinks in the evening plus finger food, transportation to the Diney parks and yes they have parking fees. My point is Disney if you want to increase parking fees don't use the reasoning everybody else does it.

Trust me, I’m not excusing this new parking fee. I think it’s ridiculously stupid.

NelleBelle

They are different experiences under the same umbrella— a theme park, and an amusement park. I’m comparing the top rated in each category.. but they share many similarities, they both fall under family amusement park entertainment as well. Cedar Point is a resort destination, I’m way too far to just drive for the day.. so are a lot of other people, which is why they have multiple hotels. Disney should cost more because of their themes and the experience, and all of the extras that you don’t get at CP.
However, their pricing isn’t as worlds apart as people think.. and there’s no way that Disney would price themselves less than or the same as an amusement park. It wouldn’t make any sense.
But is it really? When our family is sitting down to plan out our resort destinations, frankly, Cedar Point has never even been a discussion point. I think the only time we would even consider going is if we were even remotely close (and no offense to those who live in OH, but OH is not high on my vacation destinations unless we somehow are doing a road trip through). I think those who are true coaster aficionados are not necessarily choosing WDW for their roller coasters. I think the closest thing if one is going to compare against Disney would have to be Universal.

21stamps

I don’t think they’re comparing themselves to those hotels, which is the difference. I think they’re comparing themselves to Universal or most popular resorts in Florida..all of which charge for parking.. and are in a similar price bracket, for the most part.

21stamps

But is it really? When our family is sitting down to plan out our resort destinations, frankly, Cedar Point has never even been a discussion point. I think the only time we would even consider going is if we were even remotely close (and no offense to those who live in OH, but OH is not high on my vacation destinations unless we somehow are doing a road trip through). I think those who are true coaster aficionados are not necessarily choosing WDW for their roller coasters. I think the closest thing if one is going to compare against Disney would have to be Universal.

You can love rollercoasters and love Disney. We go to thrill parks for thrills, we go to Disney for the theme. Both are destinations that we love.
If you’re not a big rollercoaster fan, then no, you shouldn’t do a CP trip. You’d be wasting your money.

VaderTron

I sent an email too. So far have only received the automated response and will be surprised if I get anything else.
One thing we are missing here is that the people who make these decisions are making millions of dollars a year already, and if they meet financial goals they will be paid millions MORE. If they can pocket an extra few million by charging for parking they are going to do it.
They simply do not care about those of us who have to save up for 2 years to take the grandkids to WDW.
I fully expect my letter to have all the impact of a porpoise passing gas in a category 5 hurricane, but at least I sent it.

I am quoting you because I agree with you. Looking at an email is painless; it takes mere seconds. It can be deleted with a single, effortless click. It can be forwarded to a low-ranking administrative assistant in less than two shakes of a lamb's tail. The effect is well illustrated by your crass dolphin hurricane analogy, which I chuckled at.

If you want to get attention and cause some chaos (without doing anything illegal, which is the way I would suggest), then you need to get old school! I hereby call all angered mobs of WDW fans to channel their rage into a powerful, ancient form of communicating one's displeasure. A letter writing campaign!!! Before you all start throwing a tantrum and berating me for suggesting we engage in a tactile form of communication that involves minor manual labor, please hear me out. There were tens of thousands of angered WDW patrons who wrote negative reviews in social media, a very admirable and powerful tool. However, with a click of a button Disney execs can elect to turn off those review options.

Consider these points:

1) There is no stopping the mail. It will be delivered.
2) You can write as many letters as you want addressed to whomever you want in the company.
3) Your children can write in crayon about how mad they are that they are so greedy and mean and include pictures of mickey mouse crying.
4) Thousands of letters every day will cost Disney time and money to process. It's way harder for a tech savvy company to prepare their low-wage workers to process and respond to thousands of hard-copy correspondence. (Even if they don't it will mean more work for their mail-room and shredder. LOL)
5) Just imagine how much mail that really would be and how much harder it is to ignore rooms full of letters than it is "some number" on a social media site.

Come up with something meaningful in the amount of money you spend on letters. For instance, type one letter on your computer. Print it 26 times and include the following statement in your letter. "I have sent you 26 letters voicing my disapproval of your gaudy, money-grabbing parking fee. It cost me less than 1 day of parking at your Value Resorts, which I no longer plan on staying at." ....Something like that.

Have fun with it! Split up your letter in several different envelops with the page numbers and "continued" at the bottom. Mail them on different days to ensure they do not get there at the same time. Then they have to try to find all of your letters if they want to give you a follow up call. If they do call, be sure to ask if they have on hand your entire (number) page letter. Ask them questions that they would only know if they read it all.

Who wants to do this? If nothing else it would be enjoyable to imagine the effects as you send off your stack of letters and join it to the ocean of others from around the country/world.

21stamps

I am quoting you because I agree with you. Looking at an email is painless; it takes mere seconds. It can be deleted with a single, effortless click. It can be forwarded to a low-ranking administrative assistant in less than two shakes of a lamb's tail. The effect is well illustrated by your crass dolphin hurricane analogy, which I chuckled at.

If you want to get attention and cause some chaos (without doing anything illegal, which is the way I would suggest), then you need to get old school! I hereby call all angered mobs of WDW fans to channel their rage into a powerful, ancient form of communicating one's displeasure. A letter writing campaign!!! Before you all start throwing a tantrum and berating me for suggesting we engage in a tactile form of communication that involves minor manual labor, please hear me out. There were tens of thousands of angered WDW patrons who wrote negative reviews in social media, a very admirable and powerful tool. However, with a click of a button Disney execs can elect to turn off those review options.

Consider these points:

1) There is no stopping the mail. It will be delivered.
2) You can write as many letters as you want addressed to whomever you want in the company.
3) Your children can write in crayon about how mad they are that they are so greedy and mean and include pictures of mickey mouse crying.
4) Thousands of letters every day will cost Disney time and money to process. It's way harder for a tech savvy company to prepare their low-wage workers to process and respond to thousands of hard-copy correspondence. (Even if they don't it will mean more work for their mail-room and shredder. LOL)
5) Just imagine how much mail that really would be and how much harder it is to ignore rooms full of letters than it is "some number" on a social media site.

Come up with something meaningful in the amount of money you spend on letters. For instance, type one letter on your computer. Print it 26 times and include the following statement in your letter. "I have sent you 26 letters voicing my disapproval of your gaudy, money-grabbing parking fee. It cost me less than 1 day of parking at your Value Resorts, which I no longer plan on staying at." ....Something like that.

Have fun with it! Split up your letter in several different envelops with the page numbers and "continued" at the bottom. Mail them on different days to ensure they do not get there at the same time. Then they have to try to find all of your letters if they want to give you a follow up call. If they do call, be sure to ask if they have on hand your entire (number) page letter. Ask them questions that they would only know if they read it all.

Who wants to do this? If nothing else it would be enjoyable to imagine the effects as you send off your stack of letters and join it to the ocean of others from around the country/world.

Or... Don’t Stay at a Disney Resort.

This is the reality of the situation- Disney will continue to charge the fees.. unless they see a drastic downturn in resort guests. That’s the only thing that will make a difference. Not protests blocking traffic, not letters from someone who doesn’t have a trip planned, and not from someone who is going anyway while complaining.

njDizFan

I was curious about prices for the same date at Disney as my Cedar point trip. So I just looked it up. For the exact same dates at Disney I can stay at Beach club, animal kingdom, wilderness Lodge, or boardwalk- all for just over $400, just at $400, or in the Beach Club’s case- under $400 ($385). With that reservation would come several included activities, transportation, and a much nicer pool/pool slides, as well as better dining options.

I’m not looking at some random park in VA.. I’m comparing the “top” theme park to the “top” amusement park. So when looking at Disney pricing and saying “OMG it’s so crazy!!”.. look around, and you might see that Yep- it’s crazy!.,but so is pretty much any other top rated destination.
Saying Busch Gardens is some random park in Virginia is disingenuous. It has similar attendance numbers to your beloved CP. Not to mention it is an actual theme park. Outside of Uni (maybe Knotts), the Busch parks are the closest approximation to Disney in the US.

A few other factors to consider as well. Do many people spend a week at CP? And aren't they closed for like 6 months a year? Also their 2 day ticket is like $70 dollars. Once again I was making a similar comparison you are not.

21stamps

Saying Busch Gardens is some random park in Virginia is disingenuous. It has similar attendance numbers to your beloved CP. Not to mention it is an actual theme park. Outside of Uni (maybe Knotts), the Busch parks are the closest approximation to Disney in the US.

A few other factors to consider as well. Do many people spend a week at CP? And aren't they closed for like 6 months a year? Also their 2 day ticket is like $70 dollars. Once again I was making a similar comparison you are not.

I was comparing hotels.. because of the prices for Disney hotels that were being quoted.. I was also comparing out of pocket as being not terribly too far apart for my family, not when you add in the additional cost rides, and stupid games.
I don’t enjoy waiting 60-180+ minutes per attraction, so I always figure Fast Lane into our expense.. something that I don’t have to worry about at Disney. This is for Fast Lane only.. per person.. per visit.
FB37B683-3DE5-4327-BDFD-64ECA708CC25.jpeg

I don’t think you’re actually reading my posts.. read, top rated in each category.. which I guess could be subjective, but I don’t know many who would say that CP doesn’t have the edge when it comes to thrills.

This convo is going in a circle..you’re than welcome to go back and read my posts on it. I didn’t expect it to go on for this long.lol I was just showing a legitimate comparison when talking about theme/amusement parks rising faster than inflation.
Most of that industry has gone crazy with pricing.

VaderTron

Or... Don’t Stay at a Disney Resort.

This is the reality of the situation- Disney will continue to charge the fees.. unless they see a drastic downturn in resort guests. That’s the only thing that will make a difference. Not protests blocking traffic, not letters from someone who doesn’t have a trip planned, and not from someone who is going anyway while complaining.

Yes, yes...we all know about not staying. But some people didn't plan on visiting the park until next year or longer. Disney will not necessarily equate their non-attendance in the future as a result of these ridiculous fees and money-grabs that are happening now. This letter writing campaign allows everyone to voice their displeasure, including the thousands of children who have no money to withhold from Disney. I fully support your idea of not giving Disney money to stay at their resorts. I am an AP holder and just moved to FL a couple of weeks ago. Instead of prioritizing more mini-trips I am now upset enough to consider letting my pass lapse.

Again, this isn't instead of withholding my money. It's in addition to that plan.

njDizFan

I was comparing hotels.. because of the prices for Disney hotels that were being quoted.. I was also comparing out of pocket as being not terribly too far apart for my family, not when you add in the additional cost rides, and stupid games.
I don’t enjoy waiting 60-180+ minutes per attraction, so I always figure Fast Lane into our expense.. something that I don’t have to worry about at Disney. This is for Fast Lane only.. per person.. per visit.
View attachment 272931

I don’t think you’re actually reading my posts.. read, top rated in each category.. which I guess could be subjective, but I don’t know many who would say that CP doesn’t have the edge when it comes to thrills.

This convo is going in a circle..you’re than welcome to go back and read my posts on it. I didn’t expect it to go on for this long.lol I was just showing a legitimate comparison when talking about theme/amusement parks rising faster than inflation.
Most of that industry has gone crazy with pricing.
Quick google search.

Cedar Point 2000 $38.00-Today $72.00 (half price until April 2nd BTW)
Disney 2000 $46.00-Today $129.00 ($109 value season)

Both big increases, Disney's is higher.

21stamps

Quick google search.

Cedar Point 2000 $38.00-Today $72.00 (half price until April 2nd BTW)
Disney 2000 $46.00-Today $129.00 ($109 value season)

Both big increases, Disney's is higher.

You’re not understanding what I’m saying. CP crowds have basically made it impossible to go there without a Fast Lane Pass. Do a quick google search on that if you’d like. You either go.. maybe get lucky right now and take advantage of that deal..if you know that you’re going to go this summer.. and then risk only riding a couple of rides.
OR- you pay admission + $120pp to ACTUALLY be able to ride all of the coasters. I have a platinum pass.. which is extremely reasonable/cheap for what you get.. but the added cost of the FL still applies to everyone with a pass, we don’t get a discount on it.

You keep ignoring the Fast Lane.. but you can’t, because it’s basically mandatory if you want to ride the rides while there and not stand in line for 2 hours each. Disney gives you FPs.. it’s not exactly the same.. but it’s close, you can read my trip reports to see if I’ve ever waited 90-180minutes for a Disney ride in the past 3 years ((spoiler alert))—I haven’t. Including last minute trips during high crowd times.
Anyway.. Cedar Fair did this because it’s basically all profit.. and it makes the lines longer for people who don’t have one, even longer than the long wait times from pre Fast Lane Times.. which in turn, gets more people to buy it.. and basically triples/quadruples the price of admission.

Sorry, so to try to conclude my circle.. both parks, most parks, have risen dramatically. Disney tickets look like a bigger increase, and they should be higher priced, but they include more “for free” than the other parks do. The rest have gone the Express/Fast Lane route.. which really does make a difference when comparing them... and it shows how crazy this industry has become, because people are visiting- in droves.

Last edited:

Dizknee_Phreek

This is a trip of a lifetime for me. As a kid, a Disney DVD was my vacation. Mom would get one every year and we'd watch it. Looked fun and I wanted to go but knew it wasn't in the budget. Especially not for a single mother. Now I can take them and I have so many emotional and nostalgic reasons to go. More than my little ones. This is not just a trip for me. I've lost myself these last few years to disability and other things. Also, I'm trying hard to make this awesome so they'll agree to a few days at Disneyland along with seaworld and Universal Studios!
Keep in mind that many Disney vets are waxing nostalgic here (myself included) and remembering the "good ol days". Does that mean Disney isn't good now? No. But many of us feel that Disney used to be better. For first timers, it's all new and they don't have the "good ol days" to look back on and compare. You'll be fine and you'll have a blast! We just got back from Flower and Garden earlier this month, so if you'd like to chat about it feel free to private message me! Disney is one of my favorite topics to discuss, after all 😉 I also have several money saving tips if you'd like any of those!

Keep in mind that many Disney vets are waxing nostalgic here (myself included) and remembering the "good ol days". Does that mean Disney isn't good now? No. But many of us feel that Disney used to be better. For first timers, it's all new and they don't have the "good ol days" to look back on and compare. You'll be fine and you'll have a blast! We just got back from Flower and Garden earlier this month, so if you'd like to chat about it feel free to private message me! Disney is one of my favorite topics to discuss, after all 😉 I also have several money saving tips if you'd like any of those!
Thanks and I understand. I live in a tourist city and a lot of the issues that plague Disney World are the same ones wrong with nyc. I will send a pm tomorrow to ask for some of your time and money saving tips!

Mouse_Trap

It is bad enough they charge $22 for theme park parking! But in a way I understand a little...everyone was wanting $15 hour pay to make a decent living, but we never thought it would impact things we enjoy that were included in our vacation prices! In order to get to the $15 an hour pay increase, prices have to be raised!

They still will be covering the operating costs of parking before park opening though.

Just think say 50 staff x 15 hours per day at $15 an hour. That's basically 500 vehicles before they are showing a clear profit.

Plus I can't imagine they have that many people working the cars parks - certainly not all day anyway.

Biff215

You’re not understanding what I’m saying. CP crowds have basically made it impossible to go there without a Fast Lane Pass. Do a quick google search on that if you’d like. You either go.. maybe get lucky right now and take advantage of that deal..if you know that you’re going to go this summer.. and then risk only riding a couple of rides.
OR- you pay admission + $120pp to ACTUALLY be able to ride all of the coasters. I have a platinum pass.. which is extremely reasonable/cheap for what you get.. but the added cost of the FL still applies to everyone with a pass, we don’t get a discount on it.

You keep ignoring the Fast Lane.. but you can’t, because it’s basically mandatory if you want to ride the rides while there and not stand in line for 2 hours each. Disney gives you FPs.. it’s not exactly the same.. but it’s close, you can read my trip reports to see if I’ve ever waited 90-180minutes for a Disney ride in the past 3 years ((spoiler alert))—I haven’t. Including last minute trips during high crowd times.
Anyway.. Cedar Fair did this because it’s basically all profit.. and it makes the lines longer for people who don’t have one, even longer than the long wait times from pre Fast Lane Times.. which in turn, gets more people to buy it.. and basically triples/quadruples the price of admission.

Sorry, so to try to conclude my circle.. both parks, most parks, have risen dramatically. Disney tickets look like a bigger increase, and they should be higher priced, but they include more “for free” than the other parks do. The rest have gone the Express/Fast Lane route.. which really does make a difference when comparing them... and it shows how crazy this industry has become, because people are visiting- in droves.
So what happens when we’re eventually paying for FP? It’s probably sooner than we’d like to think. As you said, everyone else is doing it, so why wouldn’t Disney follow suit?

Parking fees are just one more added expense to a WDW vacation. This one’s not even affecting me since I’m DVC, but I’m still concerned. I always thought I’d be buying more points now, but instead I’m getting ever closer to selling what I have. Fortunately we have discovered other vacation options that provide a better value in our opinion.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So what happens when we’re eventually paying for FP? It’s probably sooner than we’d like to think. As you said, everyone else is doing it, so why wouldn’t Disney follow suit?
My guess is that you will find people who swore off of ever going back to Disney because of poor show, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of annual price increases, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of upcharge events, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of parking fees, those people will be here swearing off of ever going back to Disney because of FP charges.

Biff215

My guess is that you will find people who swore off of ever going back to Disney because of poor show, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of annual price increases, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of upcharge events, then swore off of ever going back to Disney because of parking fees, those people will be here swearing off of ever going back to Disney because of FP charges.
You’re likely right, it just seems that @21stamps is using free FP as justification for higher ticket prices. I’m just pointing out that may all soon change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom